wxWindows vs. FLTK

RE: wxWindows vs. FLTK

Nick Trout-5

Did you use Tkinter with Python? ;) Once you've used wxPython you wont
go back!

It's a little archaic and doesnt do all controls, eg. tree ctrls.
Granted there are libraries to extend it. The Python version calls Tk
through Tkinter, I think using Tcl, ie its not a direct binding so it's
a little inefficient, but well hidden. I think you have to include Tcl
to get Tk? I'd say that was the main reason not to use it.

wxPython now has:
http://boa-constructor.sourceforge.net/ - Delphi/Builder clone
http://pythoncard.sourceforge.net/ - Apple Hypercard clone
both of which are now reaching a very useable level of maturity.

There is no reason why a Lua debugger couldn't be written in wxPython,
or wxLua for that matter. I'm a little out of touch with how far on
wxLua is. I'm quite happy with Python for my standalone tools and Lua
for embedding. I'm watching this project with great interest though.

Nick

Re: wxWindows vs. FLTK

Björn De Meyer
Jean-Claude Wippler wrote:

> "Nick Trout" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >  * It has the largest widget set.
> >  * It's the most portable.
> >  * It is very well supported and has a large community [...]
> >  * wxStyledTextCtrl which is basically Scintilla [...]
> >  * It has SWIG support [...]
>
> What is the reason to ignore Tk?
>
> (Just trying to understand, rationally - don't get upset, please)
>
> -jcw

None reall, other than that no one has tried to make Lua bindings of it,
aFAIK. The other toolkits already have some wich we might recycle.

Daniel Remar.
Björn De Meyer

Re: wxWindows vs. FLTK

Martin Spernau
From: "Björn De Meyer" <[hidden email]>
> > What is the reason to ignore Tk?
> >
> > (Just trying to understand, rationally - don't get upset, please)
> >
> > -jcw
>
> None reall, other than that no one has tried to make Lua bindings of it,
> aFAIK. The other toolkits already have some wich we might recycle.

Not true. There is a tolua based TK binding. Anreas Rozek has a nice Win32
distro bundeling everything you'd need (TK, Sockets).

But it carries bothe the TK and the TCL dlls along... Do I need TCL to use
Lua??

-Martin

RE: wxWindows vs. FLTK

Peter Prade
> There is no reason why a Lua debugger couldn't be written in wxPython,
> or wxLua for that matter. I'm a little out of touch with how far on
> wxLua is. I'm quite happy with Python for my standalone tools and Lua
> for embedding. I'm watching this project with great interest though.

wxLua already comes with a minimalist IDE including a fully functional
debugger.
The Editor and Debugger is a written mostly in Lua, using some simple C++
libraries.
wxLua 1.4 (Using Lua 4 and wxWindows 2.4.0) is currently being released.

wxLua 2.0 is under development and will be using Lua 5.

Cheers,
Peter

1234