Quantcast

u-teset: unit testing framework

Илья Удалов
Hi!

I was looking for unit testing framework with following features:
  • ordered test execution
  • time measuring
  • backtrace in failed assertions
  • concise and simple API
  • colourful cli interface

I have not succeeded.
Thus, I have made small unit test library for myself with colourful cli interface (like gtest).
It has all essential features and it looks pretty good.
I think you may like it!

luarocks: luarocks install u-test

—  Ilia

Re: u-teset: unit testing framework

Nagaev Boris
On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 4:53 PM, Илья Удалов <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I was looking for unit testing framework with following features:
>
> ordered test execution
> time measuring
> backtrace in failed assertions
> concise and simple API
> colourful cli interface
>

> I have not succeeded.
> Thus, I have made small unit test library for myself with colourful cli
> interface (like gtest).
> It has all essential features and it looks pretty good.
> I think you may like it!
>
> GitHub: https://github.com/IUdalov/u-test
> luarocks: luarocks install u-test
>
> —  Ilia

Hey Илья,

Thank you!

What do you think about http://olivinelabs.com/busted/ ?

--
Best regards,
Boris Nagaev

Re: u-teset: unit testing framework

Илья Удалов
I have seen this library.
«Busted» provides bit different approach for defining test cases (Behavior Driven Development). Also «Busted» has a lot of external dependencies.
It seems hard to use it for cross platform continuous integration   (linux/mac/windows).

Unlike u-test designed for unit tests and it doesn’t have any external dependencies.
— Ilia

> 11 мая 2017 г., в 19:21, Nagaev Boris <[hidden email]> написал(а):
>
> On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 4:53 PM, Илья Удалов <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I was looking for unit testing framework with following features:
>>
>> ordered test execution
>> time measuring
>> backtrace in failed assertions
>> concise and simple API
>> colourful cli interface
>>

>> I have not succeeded.
>> Thus, I have made small unit test library for myself with colourful cli
>> interface (like gtest).
>> It has all essential features and it looks pretty good.
>> I think you may like it!
>>
>> GitHub: https://github.com/IUdalov/u-test
>> luarocks: luarocks install u-test
>>
>> —  Ilia
>>

> Hey Илья,
>
> Thank you!
>
> What do you think about http://olivinelabs.com/busted/ ?
>

> --
> Best regards,
> Boris Nagaev

Re: u-teset: unit testing framework

Илья Удалов
I have seen this library.
«Busted» provides bit different approach for defining test cases (Behavior Driven Development). Also «Busted» has a lot of external dependencies.
It seems hard to use it for cross platform continuous integration   (linux/mac/windows).

Unlike u-test designed for unit tests and it doesn’t have any external dependencies.
— Ilia

> 11 мая 2017 г., в 19:21, Nagaev Boris <[hidden email]> написал(а):
>
> On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 4:53 PM, Илья Удалов <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I was looking for unit testing framework with following features:
>>
>> ordered test execution
>> time measuring
>> backtrace in failed assertions
>> concise and simple API
>> colourful cli interface
>>

>> I have not succeeded.
>> Thus, I have made small unit test library for myself with colourful cli
>> interface (like gtest).
>> It has all essential features and it looks pretty good.
>> I think you may like it!
>>
>> GitHub: https://github.com/IUdalov/u-test
>> luarocks: luarocks install u-test
>>
>> —  Ilia
>>

> Hey Илья,
>
> Thank you!
>
> What do you think about http://olivinelabs.com/busted/ ?
>

> --
> Best regards,
> Boris Nagaev

Re: u-teset: unit testing framework

Hisham
On 11 May 2017 at 15:52, Илья Удалов <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have seen this library.
> «Busted» provides bit different approach for defining test cases (Behavior Driven Development). Also «Busted» has a lot of external dependencies.
> It seems hard to use it for cross platform continuous integration   (linux/mac/windows).

I don't know if it counts as hard but it's certainly possible. We use
Busted successfully in our continuous integration system for LuaRocks
on Linux, Mac and Windows. :)

But it's always nice to see more options available! Kudos for the release!

-- Hisham

Re: u-teset: unit testing framework

Russell Haley

On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 8:53 AM, Илья Удалов <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I was looking for unit testing framework with following features:
>
> ordered test execution
> time measuring
> backtrace in failed assertions
> concise and simple API
> colourful cli interface
>

> I have not succeeded.
> Thus, I have made small unit test library for myself with colourful cli
> interface (like gtest).
> It has all essential features and it looks pretty good.
> I think you may like it!
>
> GitHub: https://github.com/IUdalov/u-test
> luarocks: luarocks install u-test
>
> —  Ilia
 Not sure if it meets your requirements but a friend is creating a
testing framework for his toolkit here:
https://github.com/tobbik/lua-t

Cheers,

Russ

Re: u-teset: unit testing framework

Eduardo Tongson
On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 11:53 PM, Илья Удалов <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I was looking for unit testing framework with following features:
>
> ordered test execution
> time measuring
> backtrace in failed assertions
> concise and simple API
> colourful cli interface
>

> I have not succeeded.
> Thus, I have made small unit test library for myself with colourful cli
> interface (like gtest).
> It has all essential features and it looks pretty good.
> I think you may like it!
>
> GitHub: https://github.com/IUdalov/u-test
> luarocks: luarocks install u-test
>
> —  Ilia

Looks good.

I also prefer minimal TAP-style testing tools like cwtest[1] and
tapered[2]. We now have a third option.

[1] https://github.com/catwell/cwtest
[2] https://github.com/telemachus/tapered

Best regards.

Re: u-teset: unit testing framework

Tobias Kieslich

Quoting Russell Haley <[hidden email]>:

>  Not sure if it meets your requirements but a friend is creating a
> testing framework for his toolkit here:
> https://github.com/tobbik/lua-t
>
> Cheers,
>
> Russ

lua-t is still in the midst of being stabilised. It's an ambitious
project including
networking, asynchronous loop, binary packing etc.

The unit tests in it are part of the more stable yet not finished code
though. It
allows for both, fixed and random order, has beforeEach/afterEach and
beforeAll/afterAll hooks, time measuring(test case only, hooks are not
measured),
TAP reports, pretty straight forward API but no colourful output :-P

Here are the docs:
https://github.com/tobbik/lua-t/blob/master/docs/T.Test.rst
https://github.com/tobbik/lua-t/blob/master/docs/T.Test.Case.rst

Yet again, it's pre-alpha. But if someone likes to have a look and
give some opinon
it's always welcome :-)

  -tobbik