tolua

Dan Marks
Has the "toLua" package been updated recently to work
with 3.0 and 3.1alpha of Lua?  I have had problems
getting it to work.  I would like to create Lua bindings
for "VTK" (visualization toolkit:
http://www.kitware.com/vtk.html).  Specifically I have a few
questions:

1)  What exactly must be removed from a "cleaned" header file?
    Should I run the file through the "C" preprocessor (gcc -E)
    before I send it to lua to expand out all the preprocessor
    directives?

2)  This library already has bindings for Python, TK, and Java,
    and the authors claim to have an automated method of generating
    the bindings for these languages from the C++ code.  What
    exactly are they looking for?  Examining their code it looks like
    they use a yacc parser on the C++ code, and then build the binding
    code during parsing.  Why didn't toLua do this?  Is there any
    specific extra information that toLua needs outside of the headers
    themselves to create the bindings?

3)  Was tkLua made with toLua?

Thank you

Dan Marks
[hidden email]

  Lua 3.0 provides an
error in

 There are over 500
C++ header files in this package.

Re: tolua

Norman Ramsey-3
 > Has the "toLua" package been updated recently to work
 > with 3.0 and 3.1alpha of Lua?

On this topic, I would be thrilled if somebody extended SWIG
(http://www.swig.org/) to support Lua.  (It already supports Python,
Perl, Tcl, ...)

Norman

Re: tolua

>From [hidden email] Fri May 22 12:23:06 1998
>
> > Has the "toLua" package been updated recently to work
> > with 3.0 and 3.1alpha of Lua?
>
>On this topic, I would be thrilled if somebody extended SWIG
>(http://www.swig.org/) to support Lua.  (It already supports Python,
>Perl, Tcl, ...)

I started working on this some time ago and it seemed easy enough.
I'll try to find time to work more on it.
But anyone else is welcome to take this over, of course.

Re: tolua

Waldemar Celes-3
> Has the "toLua" package been updated recently to work
> with 3.0 and 3.1alpha of Lua?

I am currently working on it,
but I haven't had much time last days...

> I have had problems
> getting it to work.  I would like to create Lua bindings
> for "VTK" (visualization toolkit:
> http://www.kitware.com/vtk.html).  Specifically I have a few
> questions:

the current tolua version should work,
even without using the new lua 3.1 features.

> 1)  What exactly must be removed from a "cleaned" header file?
>     Should I run the file through the "C" preprocessor (gcc -E)
>     before I send it to lua to expand out all the preprocessor
>     directives?

the actual header file should be edited to fit the "cleaned" tolua
format. the tolua page describes the "cleaned" format,
but I understand it is just a naive documentation.
if you want, I can help you on editing the files,
just send me samples of what you intend to bind to lua.

> 2)  This library already has bindings for Python, TK, and Java,
>     and the authors claim to have an automated method of generating
>     the bindings for these languages from the C++ code.  What
>     exactly are they looking for?  Examining their code it looks like
>     they use a yacc parser on the C++ code, and then build the binding
>     code during parsing.  Why didn't toLua do this?  Is there any

tolua uses a very simple parser written in lua.

>     specific extra information that toLua needs outside of the headers
>     themselves to create the bindings?

no.

> 3)  Was tkLua made with toLua?

no. tolua was created after I had written tklua,
but I do plan to update tklua, using tolua.

-- waldemar

Networking Lua

Steve Dekorte-2
Has anyone done any Unix socket programming with Lua?
(I'm looking for some pre-made wrappers)

Btw, I've been using Lua with OpenGL and it works great.

Steve

Re: Networking Lua

Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
>From [hidden email] Sat Jun 13 11:06:59 1998
>
>Has anyone done any Unix socket programming with Lua?
>(I'm looking for some pre-made wrappers)

Get in touch with Andre Derraik, [hidden email].
He has a socket library and several clients.

Re: Networking Lua

Andre Luiz Derraik

> >From [hidden email] Sat Jun 13 11:06:59 1998
> >
> >Has anyone done any Unix socket programming with Lua?
> >(I'm looking for some pre-made wrappers)
>
> Get in touch with Andre Derraik, [hidden email].
> He has a socket library and several clients.
> --lhf

 Yes. You can get the code at: http://www.tecgraf.puc-rio.br/~andre
 Select the link: Luasock
 There's an package, luasock.tar.gz, with example, to use sockets by Lua.

 Andre Derraik.

Re: Networking Lua

Dan Weinlader
>  Yes. You can get the code at: http://www.tecgraf.puc-rio.br/~andre
>  Select the link: Luasock
>  There's an package, luasock.tar.gz, with example, to use sockets by Lua.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Dan