tolua

Robert J. Budzynski
Hi,

in lieu of an introduction: my interest in lua is purely a hobby at
this point. I like its simple syntax and slimness; I was excited to
learn that it may be possible to build extended custom interpreters by
using tolua to interface with C libraries in a rather easy way. I
looked at tklua for an example, but I wasn't very satisfied with it -
it seems that tklua is an interface to tcl rather than hooking
directly into tk's C API. Sure, I suppose the way it was done was
easier and gives some flexibility - however, fast and efficient tcl is
not. BTW, I am not a real programmer by any measure, merely somewhat
literate in C, shell scripting, have played a bit with Python, etc.

So I tried to do something else with tolua; skipping the details, I've
had little luck so far - which brings me to my question: is there a
version of tolua compatible with lua-3.0? I tried tolua-v2.0a which I
picked up from the ftp site; it has changed a lot w.r. to the older
versions, but this doesn't seem to be documented anywhere. In any
case, I was able to make it produce a .c file that compiles without
(important) warnings; however, in tolua.c, starting from line 744,
there are a bunch of calls to lua_settagmethod() which are not
compatible with the prototype in lua.h (from lua-3.0). Why is this?
Which version of lua is tolua-v2.0a supposed to be used with? Do I
have to downgrade to an older lua to use tolua? An earlier attempt I
made with earlier versions of both also failed, some of the code
emitted by tolua seemed to be garbled. I'm not giving details right
now, since this applies to obsoleted stuff I guess it's not of great
interest, and I don't have the files at hand anymore - but I'd try
to reproduce that problem if anyone's _really_ interested.

Cheers
rjb

--
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Robert J. Budzynski
******** Use the Reply-To: header when answering this message ********

Re: tolua

Waldemar Celes-2
> in lieu of an introduction: my interest in lua is purely a hobby at
> this point. I like its simple syntax and slimness; I was excited to
> learn that it may be possible to build extended custom interpreters by
> using tolua to interface with C libraries in a rather easy way. I
> looked at tklua for an example, but I wasn't very satisfied with it -
> it seems that tklua is an interface to tcl rather than hooking
> directly into tk's C API.

I would love to know how to decouple tk from tcl.
At the time I was writing tklua, I couldn't figure out how to do this.
It seemed to me that the Tk C API is not complete, we need tcl anyway.

> So I tried to do something else with tolua; skipping the details, I've
> had little luck so far - which brings me to my question: is there a
> version of tolua compatible with lua-3.0?

yes, there is. I will put it available right now.
http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/~celes/tolua/tolua.html

sorry for this mess, I have been quite busy working on other stuffs...
please, send me bug reports, suggestions, etc.

-- waldemar

Waldemar Celes
Program of Computer Graphics
Cornell University