time for comp.lang.lua?

Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
Dear subscribers of lua-l:

The mailing list lua-l has now 109 subscribers.
Since I think 100 votes are needed for creating a newsgroup, it might be time
to issue a call for votes for the creation of comp.lang.lua.
What do you think?

I don't know much about this process.
I'd be glad if someone else took charge of it.
So, I'm looking for volunteers.

Re: time for comp.lang.lua?

Norman Ramsey-3
This process is a lot of work.  Traffic on lua-l is low enough that
you might consider waiting a year (or two).

Norman

RE: time for comp.lang.lua?

Paul Dixon
Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo wrote:
> The mailing list lua-l has now 109 subscribers.
> Since I think 100 votes are needed for creating a newsgroup, it might be time
> to issue a call for votes for the creation of comp.lang.lua.
> What do you think?

I think the mailing list works well with the current amount of traffic. Until the list
starts generating lots of concurrent threads, I don't feel a newsgroup adds any
value.

<<application/ms-tnef>>

Re: time for comp.lang.lua?

Steve Dekorte-2
>The mailing list lua-l has now 109 subscribers.
>Since I think 100 votes are needed for creating a newsgroup, it might be time
>to issue a call for votes for the creation of comp.lang.lua.
>What do you think?

I'd prefer sticking with a mailing list until
the posts become frequent. I'd rather not have to deal
with advertizing posts and the hassle of having to
remember to check it before the articles on my
news server expire.

Steve

Re: time for comp.lang.lua?

Claudio Terra
My vote is to keep the mailing list as it is.

C.

Re: time for comp.lang.lua?

Philippe Goutier
I prefer a mailing list.

Philippe

RE: time for comp.lang.lua?

Ashley Fryer
The mailing list itself is a barrier to many participants, so I think
traffic would be higher on a newsgroup ( not just from the increase in spam
:-).  Also, newsgroups are easy to search and archive.  So, although
traffic is low, I would like to see comp.lang.lua.

ashley

( Who knows nothing of the process ).

This process is a lot of work.  Traffic on lua-l is low enough that
you might consider waiting a year (or two).

Norman

RE: time for comp.lang.lua?

Paul Dixon
Ashley Fryer wrote:
> The mailing list itself is a barrier to many participants, so I think
> traffic would be higher on a newsgroup ( not just from the increase in spam
> :-).  Also, newsgroups are easy to search and archive.  So, although
> traffic is low, I would like to see comp.lang.lua.

Archiving is a good point - I'd prefer to see a searchable archive of a mailing list though.

<<application/ms-tnef>>

Re: time for comp.lang.lua?

Francesco Maffeis
Steve Dekorte wrote:

> >The mailing list lua-l has now 109 subscribers.
> >Since I think 100 votes are needed for creating a newsgroup, it might be time
> >to issue a call for votes for the creation of comp.lang.lua.
> >What do you think?
>
> I'd prefer sticking with a mailing list until
> the posts become frequent. I'd rather not have to deal
> with advertizing posts and the hassle of having to
> remember to check it before the articles on my
> news server expire.
>
> Steve

I Agree with Steve; I prefer a mailing list rather than the "work" on
a news group.

Francesco.

RE: time for comp.lang.lua?

BertrandRUZETTE