"Game Development With LUA" book

Andreas Rönnquist
I was browsing an online store and saw the book "Game Development With LUA" by Paul Schuytema and Mark Manyen - Is it any good? the two reviews that are up on amazon gives it a 2 and a 5 (out of 5) - so that isn't very much help.

http://www.amazon.com/Game-Development-LUA/dp/1584504048/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_0_1/103-5958689-0189447?ie=UTF8

Anybody have any experience of it?

/Andreas Rönnquist

Re: "Game Development With LUA" book

Sam Roberts-2
On Tue, Sep 12, 2006 at 02:26:21AM +0200, Andreas Rönnquist wrote:
> I was browsing an online store and saw the book "Game Development With
> LUA" by Paul Schuytema and Mark Manyen - Is it any good? the two reviews
> that are up on amazon gives it a 2 and a 5 (out of 5) - so that isn't
> very much help.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Game-Development-LUA/dp/1584504048/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_0_1/103-5958689-0189447?ie=UTF8
>
> Anybody have any experience of it?

I'd be very interested in a review, too. I have zero interest in game
development, but am interested in NOT developing user-interface logic in
C or C++. The topics described in the books page make it sound more
broad than game devel, I'm curious if it would be useful outside of
gaming.

Sam

RE: "Game Development With LUA" book

jdarling
Well the 5 of 5 rating is an obvious hook.  Meaning that its written by
someone with an agenda to help boost sales and the acceptance of the
book in general.  Thus take it with a grain of salt.

The 2 of 5 rating is most likely a more accurate description of the book
and what it contains.  Though the poster does say that the CD was the
best part, and if the source for the engine is on the CD it could most
likely be optimized and cleaned up.

>From a UI perspective, there are quite a few references that exist (not
only for Lua but other languages as well) describing how to script your
UI.

I'd have to say that if you found the book for a reasonable price (that
would be up to you to decide) that it would be something to add to the
collection.  Note though that I don't have a copy, nor have I read it.
So take this with the grain of salt it was written.  As I did state
though, the 5 rating is a hook and not a real rating.

 - Jeremy

"Help I suffer from the oxymoron Corporate Security."

Christof Schardt
>> http://www.amazon.com/Game-Development-LUA/dp/1584504048/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_0_1/103-5958689-0189447?ie=UTF8
>> Anybody have any experience of it?
>> /Andreas Rönnquist

I bought it, as I was new to Lua and eager to read anything
about it.

It might be interesting, if you in fact are going to write
a game just like the presented. But beyond this I cannot
find much useful or general information.

The listings are partially rather long and present a
pretty basic Lua-style, not very specific to Lua,
mainly just assignments and function-calls.
Compared to the PIL-book (a must-buy!), where each
5-liner listing is a gem, this style doesn't give
any real insights.

I do not think that it meets your needs, if I got
them right.
What you need is a broad discussion of Lua in the
realm of desktop-applications/-frameworks.
Ashwin Hirschi had given an impressive talk at the
workshop in Venlo: he had developed a framework
'reflexis Lite' on windows, which is a thin wrapper
around the win32 api and which allows him to create
his programs almost completely in Lua (and allows
to have great fun with this, as he stated).
Unfortunatly closed source as of now.

Bye
Christof

Re: "Game Development With LUA" book

Robert Osfield
Hi Andreas,

I bought the book, "GAME DEVELPOMENT with LUA", in hope that it might give some good insights in combining C++ and Lua, but basically it failed to give me any insight, the online Lua reference manual was much more useful.  It didn't really give me any insight into using Lua either, again the online  reference manual and wiki were far more useful.   The 2 of 5 would seems rather charitable to me, it scored 0 out of 5 for what I wanted from the book.

I can thoroughly recommend "Programming in Lua", it arrived in the post 10 days after, and found it a revelation, after many many years of coding C++ its was like taking the blinkers off - blinkers that I wasn't fully aware of until I had got a couple of chapters into the book.  Lua is a very powerful yet modest langauge, and the book takes you through step by step opening all the windows to new programming vistas.  It is essential reading, an emphatic 5 out of 5.

The only little hickup was that I never found a good tour of how to do thorough C++ and Lua integration, this took reading online source code, and spending time thinking about how to integrate the two and experimenting with code.

Robert.

On 9/12/06, Andreas Rönnquist <[hidden email]> wrote:
I was browsing an online store and saw the book "Game Development With
LUA" by Paul Schuytema and Mark Manyen - Is it any good? the two reviews
that are up on amazon gives it a 2 and a 5 (out of 5) - so that isn't
very much help.

http://www.amazon.com/Game-Development-LUA/dp/1584504048/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_0_1/103-5958689-0189447?ie=UTF8

Anybody have any experience of it?

/Andreas Rönnquist

Re: "Game Development With LUA" book

Noel Frankinet
Robert Osfield a écrit :
Hi Andreas,

I bought the book, "GAME DEVELPOMENT with LUA", in hope that it might give some good insights in combining C++ and Lua, but basically it failed to give me any insight, the online Lua reference manual was much more useful. It didn't really give me any insight into using Lua either, again the online reference manual and wiki were far more useful. The 2 of 5 would seems rather charitable to me, it scored 0 out of 5 for what I wanted from the book.
I also bought it, and I would'nt give much more points.

I can thoroughly recommend "Programming in Lua", it arrived in the post 10 days after, and found it a revelation, after many many years of coding C++ its was like taking the blinkers off - blinkers that I wasn't fully aware of until I had got a couple of chapters into the book. Lua is a very powerful yet modest langauge, and the book takes you through step by step opening all the windows to new programming vistas. It is essential reading, an emphatic 5 out of 5.
I'm going to buy it right away.

The only little hickup was that I never found a good tour of how to do thorough C++ and Lua integration, this took reading online source code, and spending time thinking about how to integrate the two and experimenting with code.
I find the luna template a real gem to glue c++ to lua.
I find it so easy to use that I wonder why it seems so undurused, Is there something I am missing ?

Best regards

Robert.

On 9/12/06, *Andreas Rönnquist* <[hidden email] <[hidden email]>> wrote:

    I was browsing an online store and saw the book "Game Development With
    LUA" by Paul Schuytema and Mark Manyen - Is it any good? the two
    reviews
    that are up on amazon gives it a 2 and a 5 (out of 5) - so that isn't
    very much help.

    http://www.amazon.com/Game-Development-LUA/dp/1584504048/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_0_1/103-5958689-0189447?ie=UTF8
    <http://www.amazon.com/Game-Development-LUA/dp/1584504048/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_0_1/103-5958689-0189447?ie=UTF8>

    Anybody have any experience of it?

    /Andreas Rönnquist
    [hidden email] <[hidden email]>

Noël Frankinet
Gistek Software SA
http://www.gistek.net

Re: "Game Development With LUA" book

dcharno
Robert Osfield wrote:
The only little hickup was that I never found a good tour of how to do thorough C++ and Lua integration, this took reading online source code, and spending time thinking about how to integrate the two and experimenting with code.

Game Programming Gems 6 has a few nice chapters on Lua, specically Chapter 4.2 "Binding C/C++ Objects to Lua" by Waldemar Celes, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo and Roberto Ierusalimschy. This is sort of what I was hoping to get from "Game Development with Lua". Its a bit pricey just for those chapters but if you're interested in other aspects of the book it might be worth it.

dcharno wrote:
Robert Osfield wrote:
The only little hickup was that I never found a good tour of how to do thorough C++ and Lua integration, this took reading online source code, and spending time thinking about how to integrate the two and experimenting with code.

Game Programming Gems 6 has a few nice chapters on Lua, specically Chapter 4.2 "Binding C/C++ Objects to Lua" by Waldemar Celes, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo and Roberto Ierusalimschy. This is sort of what I was hoping to get from "Game Development with Lua". Its a bit pricey just for those chapters but if you're interested in other aspects of the book it might be worth it.

Thanks everybody for your input! Keep the discussion going! Anyway - I think I'll pass on that book (the Game Development With LUA one), I am not very interested in Win32 programming (running Linux myself) - but if a book holds invaluable information on LUA in an Win32-context one can often sort it out.

My main interest is the kind of stuff mentioned above - binding C++ objects to LUA - as it is now I use the method of registering functions one by one - and in those checking for correct amount of indata and datatypes. Feels rather wrong when coding in C++ - this is what I would like to avoid - I've got the impression that other methods is availible. Also I would like to get some knowledge on how to make an optimal enviroment and interaction C++-code <-> LUA-code avoiding risks of memory leakage and the likes.

oops, turned out to be quite a rant.

anyway - keep the discussion going - all input is welcome!

/Andreas

RE: "Game Development With LUA" book

Richard Ranft
I don't think the 2 of 5 rating was off at all.  This book does cover a
basic method for binding Lua and C++, it covers all tasks for using Lua to
control game logic and UI scripting - even for saving game states.  It's
just not very good - because it shows the most rudimentary way of
accomplishing these tasks.  There are much slicker and cleaner ways to do
everything that the author shows, but he does actually cover everything he
says he was covering.

Run to a library and check it out - no money spent, and you can evaluate its
usefulness to your project goals on your own.  If you can't find it in a
library yet, just skim it at the local bookstore.  This is how I decide on
what books to buy, personally, so I don't have the "I bought this book with
such-and-such expectations and I was terribly disappointed" stories to throw
out there.

Rich

RE: "Game Development With LUA" book

Vijay Aswadhati-2
On Monday, September 11, 2006 5:26 PM, Andreas Rönnquist wrote:

> I was browsing an online store and saw the book "Game Development With
> LUA" by Paul Schuytema and Mark Manyen - Is it any good? the two reviews
> that are up on amazon gives it a 2 and a 5 (out of 5) - so that isn't
> very much help.

I bought the book and was disappointed to say the least. And if I may speak
my mind, I was disappointed to see the foreword written by one of the Lua
authors for such a bland and uninteresting book and I am still trying to
figure out why it is a 'must-have' book for anyone interested in game
development. Even without knowing too much about game programming I got the
feeling that text did not illustrate any shining examples to serve as a
foundational reference.

There are few to no books, offering good coverage of moderate to complex
native binding to C/C++ object systems. It is not that I do not know how to
do it, what I find lacking is an authoritative reference that says here is
how you should do it. I guess by the time any such book arrives I would
acquire that wisdom by myself.

As mentioned by 'Robert Osfield' you can get much more out of the Lua
Reference Manual; and 2 out of 5 is a pretty charitable rating. But as
others have pointed out it depends on what you are seeking.

Vijay Aswadhati

RE: "Game Development With LUA" book

Richard Ranft
I felt that it did one valuable thing - it showed you common tasks that you
could apply Lua for within your game.  It didn't show you necessarily the
best way to do them, but it brought attention to the tasks.  If you have the
chance, run to a bookstore and try to skim the book for yourself.  One 15
minute skimming will probably give you everything useful from the book.