pure lua game dev?

Haroon Khalid
So I am new to programming and I only know basic PHP/sql, anyways I was looking to see if there
was a language made really well for games, like how php is made mainly for the web, easy to dive
in. So someone mentioend LUA and how its good for games, and on the sony psp you can use pure lua
for  games via luaplayer www.luaplayer.org , so I checked if there was lua for gameboy advance and
someone said yes there is, but it doesnt have the functions for graphics and utilizing gba
hardware, and he said I would have to write the functions in C to be able to do this. Anyways so I
thought maybe I can learn lua and make games for freebsd. But now my question is that ....yes lua
is available for freebsd, but does it have the fucntions for gaming stuff, like graphics and
sound? I asked a friend , and he just mentioned SDL. So i checked the site and it some
graphics/sound or something library, and it has a lua version or something. So to make games for
freebsd using pure lua, would I use lua and sdl for lua, and I would be able to use pure lua, and
have gaming functions available to me via the sdl lib? Thanks!

-------------------------
http://www.boringdays.com

Re: pure lua game dev?

Alex Queiroz
Hallo,

On 5/8/06, Haroon Khalid <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]
> sound? I asked a friend , and he just mentioned SDL. So i checked the site and it some
> graphics/sound or something library, and it has a lua version or something. So to make games for
> freebsd using pure lua, would I use lua and sdl for lua, and I would be able to use pure lua, and
> have gaming functions available to me via the sdl lib? Thanks!

     I don't know the status of the SDL binding to Lua, but if it's
reasonably complete, you can write complete games with sound, joystick
control etc. Pygame is just a SDL module for Python.

-alex
http://www.ventonegro.org/

Re: pure lua game dev?

Matt Campbell-2
For audio, an alternative to SDL's audio support is Audiere
(http://audiere.sourceforge.net/).  It can play both streams and
pre-loaded samples in WAV, MP3, Vorbis, MOD, and a few other formats.
Under Windows, it uses DirectSound to mix sounds, so it can take
advantage of Windows 2000/XP's kernel-mode mixer or hardware mixing.
Under Unix, it uses its own low-latency mixer with decent sample rate
conversion.  It should work under FreeBSD, though I don't think it's
been tested there lately.  None of the game consoles are currently
supported.

There's a Lua binding in the Subversion repository at SourceForge.net,
but it's not currently integrated with the GNU build system used on
Unix, so you'll have to build it yourself.

I hope this helps.

--
Matt Campbell
Lead Programmer
"The Accessibility Anywhere People"

Re: pure lua game dev?

Haroon Khalid
Can I just use sdl and lua?

--- Matt Campbell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> For audio, an alternative to SDL's audio support is Audiere
> (http://audiere.sourceforge.net/).  It can play both streams and
> pre-loaded samples in WAV, MP3, Vorbis, MOD, and a few other formats.
> Under Windows, it uses DirectSound to mix sounds, so it can take
> advantage of Windows 2000/XP's kernel-mode mixer or hardware mixing.
> Under Unix, it uses its own low-latency mixer with decent sample rate
> conversion.  It should work under FreeBSD, though I don't think it's
> been tested there lately.  None of the game consoles are currently
> supported.
>
> There's a Lua binding in the Subversion repository at SourceForge.net,
> but it's not currently integrated with the GNU build system used on
> Unix, so you'll have to build it yourself.
>
> I hope this helps.
>
> --
> Matt Campbell
> Lead Programmer
> Serotek Corporation
> www.freedombox.info
> "The Accessibility Anywhere People"

-------------------------
http://www.boringdays.com

Re: pure lua game dev?

Asko Kauppi

The Lua binding linked from SDL
(http://lua-users.org/wiki/LuaModuleLuaSdl) leads to some
old 4.0 binding (Thatcher, are you listening...? :).

LuaX can be used for all that you want, and it's
semi-supported (should work, but not regularily tested) on
FreeBSD.  However, the currently available versions are
based on Lua 5.0, and require a separately compiled
interpreter.  Upgrading to Lua 5.1 is currently ..hmm..
jammed until a certain SDL-main dispute concerning OS X
platform is solved (or that I ditch OS X SDL support,
which would be heart-breaking.....)

Anyways, could probably work together with you, to get
your needs filled, with FreeBSD stock Lua, providing SDL,
SDL_image, SDL_mixer, what else?    What's your timetable
for this?  :)
(please reply privately?)

-asko

On Mon, 8 May 2006 13:40:26 -0300
  "Alex Queiroz" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hallo,
>
> On 5/8/06, Haroon Khalid <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> [...]
>> sound? I asked a friend , and he just mentioned SDL. So
>>i checked the site and it some
>> graphics/sound or something library, and it has a lua
>>version or something. So to make games for
>> freebsd using pure lua, would I use lua and sdl for lua,
>>and I would be able to use pure lua, and
>> have gaming functions available to me via the sdl lib?
>>Thanks!
>>

>     I don't know the status of the SDL binding to Lua,
>but if it's
> reasonably complete, you can write complete games with
>sound, joystick
> control etc. Pygame is just a SDL module for Python.
>
> --
> -alex
> http://www.ventonegro.org/

Re: pure lua game dev?

Alex Queiroz
Hallo,

> jammed until a certain SDL-main dispute concerning OS X
> platform is solved (or that I ditch OS X SDL support,
> which would be heart-breaking.....)

     I've written for myself a very tiny SDL module for Lua 5.1, for
rendering terrain models. I'm probably being dense, but I don't get it
yet why you need SDL_main.

-alex
http://www.ventonegro.org/

Re: pure lua game dev?

Dave Dodge
On Mon, May 08, 2006 at 09:25:20AM -0700, Haroon Khalid wrote:
> So to make games for freebsd using pure lua, would I use lua and sdl
> for lua, and I would be able to use pure lua, and have gaming
> functions available to me via the sdl lib?

There's a package called "freya" that you might try, though I don't
know if it's still being actively developed.  It uses Allegro instead
of SDL:

  http://www.geekzine.net/freya/about.php

BTW its webpage uses some sort of overlapping elements that make it
impossible to click on most of its menubar items (at least on my
Linux/Firefox setup).  It might work if you have the Arial font,
otherwise you'll have to "view info" or look at the HTML to figure out
how to reach the other pages.

                                                  -Dave Dodge

Re: pure lua game dev?

mark gossage
Here is my two pence,
Lua is a good little scripting language (emphasis on the word 'little'), its not really for games only, I feel its a general language. I really shines when embedded into a C/C++ program to give it extra flexibility.
A lot of games use it to add features, eg in an RPG game the quests are scripted.

For a pure development, I don't see why you cannot use Lua. Out of the box, there is nothing to support it, but thats why there are 1001 extentions to Lua (its so easy to extend/embed).

You will need some kind of code for the graphics & sound (Allegro or SDL being at the top of my list). If you like 3D, then I suggest looking for a ready written 3D engine which has Lua bindings (Ogre I think does, Crystal Space & Irrict might have).
I suggest either look for a good engine with Lua bindings (can anyone suggest one?) or you can use the graphics primitives (Allegro/SDL) and write your own enginge in Lua.

Hope this helps,
Mark Gossage