pre-usage question

E Radler
Hello,
I was checking LUA, because chinese boards  based on esp8266 chip say they suport LUA .
Compared to PC users living with a wealth of library import options and on-line examples for python I fear the experience on an embedded device will be less fancy for micropython but as well as with LUA . Especially for control algorithms  you will have to start  from scratch using LUA? Is there support for http:// GET ?
The second point is UML round trip support, having code generation. Is there some 4 GL SE support for LUA?

thanks

Re: pre-usage question

KHMan
On 5/30/2015 3:43 AM, E Radler wrote:
> I was checking LUA, because chinese boards  based onesp8266
> chipsay they suport LUA .

It's Lua not LUA. You're probably looking at NodeMCU on ESP8266.
Have you studied the materials at [1]?

[1] http://www.esp8266.com/

> Compared to PC users living with a wealth of library import
> options and on-line examples for python I fear the experience on
> an embedded device will be less fancy for micropython but as well
> as with LUA . Especially for control algorithms  you will have to
> start  from scratch using LUA? Is there support for http:// GET ?

I think it can do plenty, but remember on-chip SRAM is limited if
you are not using a separate MCU. "Control algorithms" is pretty
vague, but hobbyists using NodeMCU for basic IoT-stuff sequencing
are doing fine. If you need the faster kind of control algorithms,
just download the SDK+compiler VM image and use gcc.

> The second point is UML round trip support, having code
> generation. Is there some 4 GL SE support for LUA?
> thanks

Lua is a scripting language that is often embedded in software
apps, see [2]. Note it's not "embedded as in MCUs"... It has been
adapted to run on MCUs with small memory footprints, *however*
it's still a scripting language that juggles objects and do
garbage collection. Large apps may use plenty of memory and
garbage collection is not your usual deterministic memory usage
scenario.

[2] https://sites.google.com/site/marbux/home/where-lua-is-used

So it's not a purpose-built embedded systems development tool with
all the UML or 4GL or whatnot tools. I believe it just happened
that there was a Lua for MCUs -- eLua -- that could be quickly
ported to ESP8266, creating NodeMCU, which turned out great for
speedy project development, perfect for the maker demographic,
which is probably the main target customer for the boards.

Kein-Hong Man (esq.)
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Re: pre-usage question

Laurent FAILLIE

I think you're speaking about nodemcu framework ?
If so, you will have to check on its documentation here : nodemcu/nodemcu-firmware
W/ the actual version, there is no http support stricto-sensus, but as it support socket, there is an example to create an http GET client.

I don't have yet this board and I duno if its LUA is supporting require() but I have in mind some projects based on it.

The misspelling master is on the Web.
  _________ 100 % Dictionnary Free !
/ Dico       / / Pleins d'autres fautes sur
(#######( / http://destroyedlolo.info
Quoi, des fautes d'orthographe! Pas possible ;-D.