package managers comparasion

Mikoláš Štrajt
Hi,

I am doing some comparasion research about Lua package managers.

I have two questions for the list:

1. How many Lua package managers do we know?

I came up with these:

* LuaRocks (https://luarocks.org/)
* LuaDist (http://luadist.org/)
* ULua (http://ulua.io/)
* luapower (https://luapower.com/)
* ActiveLua own's (any info available?)

There are also some lua distributions (http://lua-users.org/wiki/LuaDistributions), but these came without package manager.

E.g:

* Lua for Windows (https://github.com/rjpcomputing/luaforwindows)
* LuaAIO (http://luaaio.luaforge.net/index.html)
* MurgaLua (http://www.murga-projects.com/murgaLua.html)
* LuaPlus (http://luaplus.org/)
* etc etc

2. LuaDist seems to be suggested on lua.org homepage. Am I the first man who noticed it or there was a discussion about it before?

Regards
Mikoláš Štrajt / Severák / http://severak.neocities.org/

Re: package managers comparasion

Charles Heywood
> 2. LuaDist seems to be suggested on lua.org homepage. Am I the first man who noticed it or there was a discussion about it before?

It's listed on the downloads page under "Binaries" - I'm not sure where you see it on the homepage.

Re: package managers comparasion

Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
> > 2. LuaDist seems to be suggested on lua.org homepage. Am I the first man
> who noticed it or there was a discussion about it before?
>
> It's listed on the downloads page under "Binaries" - I'm not sure where you
> see it on the homepage.

LuaDist is listed in these pages:

   https://www.lua.org/download.html
   https://www.lua.org/faq.html
   https://www.lua.org/start.html
   https://www.lua.org/manual/5.2/readme.html
   https://www.lua.org/manual/5.3/readme.html

(I found this by searching lua.org at https://www.lua.org/map.html)

Unfortunatlely, it seems that LuaDist is no longer actively developed.
Is there somethng else that we can use instead of LuaDist?

Re: package managers comparasion

Nagaev Boris
On Fri, Dec 2, 2016 at 5:46 PM, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>> > 2. LuaDist seems to be suggested on lua.org homepage. Am I the first man
>> who noticed it or there was a discussion about it before?
>>
>> It's listed on the downloads page under "Binaries" - I'm not sure where you
>> see it on the homepage.
>
> LuaDist is listed in these pages:
>
>    https://www.lua.org/download.html
>    https://www.lua.org/faq.html
>    https://www.lua.org/start.html
>    https://www.lua.org/manual/5.2/readme.html
>    https://www.lua.org/manual/5.3/readme.html
>
> (I found this by searching lua.org at https://www.lua.org/map.html)
>
> Unfortunatlely, it seems that LuaDist is no longer actively developed.
> Is there somethng else that we can use instead of LuaDist?

Can luarocks be used instead of LuaDist?

--
Best regards,
Boris Nagaev

Re: package managers comparasion

Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
> Can luarocks be used instead of LuaDist?

I'd rather it were a ready-made multi-platform distribution of the Lua
that includes batteries, not a package manager, but perhaps it's too
much to ask?

Re: package managers comparasion

Charles Heywood
I'd rather it were a ready-made multi-platform distribution of the Lua
> that includes batteries, not a package manager, but perhaps it's too
> much to ask?

It shouldn't be too hard. All that would need to be done is port luac to a luarocks build system and add some dependencies.

On Fri, Dec 2, 2016 at 12:23 PM Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Can luarocks be used instead of LuaDist?

I'd rather it were a ready-made multi-platform distribution of the Lua
that includes batteries, not a package manager, but perhaps it's too
much to ask?

Re: package managers comparasion

Pierre Chapuis

OpenResty also has its own package manager now: https://opm.openresty.org/

> There are also some lua distributions (http://lua-users.org/wiki/LuaDistributions), but these came
> without package manager.
>
> E.g:
>
> * Lua for Windows (https://github.com/rjpcomputing/luaforwindows)
> * LuaAIO (http://luaaio.luaforge.net/index.html)
> * MurgaLua (http://www.murga-projects.com/murgaLua.html)
> * LuaPlus (http://luaplus.org)
> * etc etc

For Windows you may also want to look at luawinmulti,
which uses LuaRocks: https://github.com/Tieske/luawinmulti

In general, I think we (Lua developers) should use LuaRocks.

When we distribute software to end users we should bundle dependencies
with it, or rely on the operating systems' own package managers.

It may make sense for specific ecosystems to have their own package
managers (e.g. OpenResty) although it would probably be better if
they just used a custom LuaRocks tree.

It may also make sense to provide binary builds of C modules for
specific platforms, possibly as LuaRocks packages as well.

But anything that is not designed to work well with LuaRocks is
going to be limited at some point, when users will want to install
packages that it does not provide.

Pierre Chapuis

Re: package managers comparasion

Hisham
On 3 December 2016 at 09:54, Pierre Chapuis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> In general, I think we (Lua developers) should use LuaRocks.
>
> When we distribute software to end users we should bundle dependencies
> with it, or rely on the operating systems' own package managers.
>
> It may make sense for specific ecosystems to have their own package
> managers (e.g. OpenResty) although it would probably be better if
> they just used a custom LuaRocks tree.

Agreed, it would be better, as Torch did with their custom LuaRocks
tree. Having all modules under the same roof as it happens in other
language communities, all projects would benefit from each other's
increased exposure. This would benefit the Lua community at large.
Fragmentation helps no one.

In any case, it was announced that opm is going to include a LuaRocks
bridge, so targeting LuaRocks is a good choice for a developer wanting
to reach both userbases. :)

-- Hisham

Pierre Chapuis wrote:

> OpenResty also has its own package manager now: https://opm.openresty.org/

Good point!

> For Windows you may also want to look at luawinmulti,
which uses LuaRocks: https://github.com/Tieske/luawinmulti

Not package manager but useful script. Good to know.

---

Charles Heywood  wrote:

> It's listed on the downloads page under "Binaries" - I'm not sure where you see it on the homepage.

My fault - I mistaken downloads page with index when I was writing the mail.

---

Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo wrote:

> Unfortunatlely, it seems that LuaDist is no longer actively developed.
Is there somethng else that we can use instead of LuaDist?

Its not true. There is second generation of LuaDist in development - the LuaDist2 (see https://github.com/LuaDist2). However there is no information about it on LuaDist pages.

I have talked about that with Peter Drahoš, see http://lua-users.org/lists/lua-l/2016-07/msg00430.html for more details about LuaDist2.

Regards
Mikoláš Štrajt / Severák / http://severak.neocities.org/

Re: package managers comparasion

Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
> There is second generation of LuaDist in development - the LuaDist2 (see https://github.com/LuaDist2). However there is no information about it on LuaDist pages.

Good to know, thanks! However, the question still remains:
Should we still mention LuaDist in lua.org? Is there something else
that can be mentioned instead, at least until LuaDist2 is released?

Re: package managers comparasion

Peter Drahoš

> On 5 Dec 2016, at 00:44, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> There is second generation of LuaDist in development - the LuaDist2 (see https://github.com/LuaDist2). However there is no information about it on LuaDist pages.
>
> Good to know, thanks! However, the question still remains:
> Should we still mention LuaDist in lua.org? Is there something else
> that can be mentioned instead, at least until LuaDist2 is released?

I think its still worth mentioning,
even without any update in years I'm still getting feedback on it.

LD2 still needs some polishing before I'm releasing new binary batteries included packages based on it.

pd

Re: package managers comparasion

Bulat Ziganshin
Hello Mikoláš,