new here, a few questions

Todd Oberly
Hello,

I stumbled on Plua just last week and now found my way here.  It will
take some time to learn the syntax and try all the Palm-specific
features, but that's the fun part. :)  In the mean time, may I toss
out a few newbie questions?

1) I see that it's possible to access the SD Card with vfs0: ...but is
it also possible to access the DBCache area of RAM?  If not, might
this be a planned feature, or is there some technical hurdle?  For
example, I'd like to write a script that does some
processing/cataloging of the photos in the "Photos & Videos" directory.

(This isn't a Plua question, but when researching DBCache I found
several references stating that RAM could hold only .prc and .pdb
files.  As I can see several .jpeg photos staring back at me, I'm
guessing this applies only to normal ram and not to DBCache?)

2) I'm not so much interested in writing applications as writing
GUI-less helper scripts that run "in the background".  I compiled a
demo from the manual that creates a new .pdb file.  Each time it runs,
it generates a white screen for a few seconds, and the screen that
follows isn't necessarily what I was previously viewing.  I know
something about multitasking (or lack thereof) in Palm OS, but is
there a way around this specific problem?

3) By the time you read this, maybe I'll have found it in the manual,
but how do I launch an existing "appl" file with Plua?  Does it matter
where the program is located (ie. in the ROM, on the SD card, etc.)?

Thanks for the help...and many thanks for Marcio for Plua!

Todd

Re: new here, a few questions

migueletto-2
--- In [hidden email], "Todd Oberly" <taoberly@...> wrote:

> 1) I see that it's possible to access the SD Card with vfs0: ...but is
> it also possible to access the DBCache area of RAM?  If not, might
> this be a planned feature, or is there some technical hurdle?  For
> example, I'd like to write a script that does some
> processing/cataloging of the photos in the "Photos & Videos" directory.

I do not know what DBCache is, but if it is a standard PalmOS database
(PDB) you can open it with io.open(), read or write records, etc.

> 2) I'm not so much interested in writing applications as writing
> GUI-less helper scripts that run "in the background".  I compiled a
> demo from the manual that creates a new .pdb file.  Each time it runs,
> it generates a white screen for a few seconds, and the screen that
> follows isn't necessarily what I was previously viewing.  I know
> something about multitasking (or lack thereof) in Palm OS, but is
> there a way around this specific problem?

Plua programs can not run in the background. They will always open a
blank screen, as you noticed.

> 3) By the time you read this, maybe I'll have found it in the manual,
> but how do I launch an existing "appl" file with Plua?  Does it matter
> where the program is located (ie. in the ROM, on the SD card, etc.)?

There is no way to launch PalmOS applications from within Plua.

Regards,
Marcio.

Re: new here, a few questions

Todd Oberly
--- In [hidden email], "migueletto" <migueletto@...> wrote:

> --- In [hidden email], "Todd Oberly" <taoberly@> wrote:
>
> > 1) I see that it's possible to access the SD Card with vfs0: ...but is
> > it also possible to access the DBCache area of RAM?  If not, might
> > this be a planned feature, or is there some technical hurdle?  For
> > example, I'd like to write a script that does some
> > processing/cataloging of the photos in the "Photos & Videos"
> > directory.
>
> I do not know what DBCache is, but if it is a standard PalmOS database
> (PDB) you can open it with io.open(), read or write records, etc.

I'm hoping for a way to access the "Builtin" volume that appears in
FileZ when you enable the "Show Hidden Volumes" setting.  I'm not sure
if this DBCache or direct access to NVFS.  The Resco Explorer docs
describe it like this: "NVFS databases can't be accessed directly.
Therefore Palm OS reserves part of RAM called DbCache. Prior to its
use the databases are copied from NVFS to the DbCache and after the
use they are copied back (if changed) or just purged (otherwise)."

Might you have any plans for a vfs01: (?) to access this storage?

> > 2) I'm not so much interested in writing applications as writing
> > GUI-less helper scripts that run "in the background".  I compiled a
> > demo from the manual that creates a new .pdb file.  Each time it runs,
> > it generates a white screen for a few seconds, and the screen that
> > follows isn't necessarily what I was previously viewing.  I know
> > something about multitasking (or lack thereof) in Palm OS, but is
> > there a way around this specific problem?
>
> Plua programs can not run in the background. They will always open a
> blank screen, as you noticed.

Okay, I'll cope. :-)

Thanks again,

Todd

Re: new here, a few questions

abm0000abm-2
--- In [hidden email], "Todd Oberly" <taoberly@...> wrote:

> 3) By the time you read this, maybe I'll have found it in the manual,
> but how do I launch an existing "appl" file with Plua?  Does it matter
> where the program is located (ie. in the ROM, on the SD card, etc.)?

A (long) time ago, I had put together a library for use with Plua that
would call the PalmOS function for launching another application.  I
don't remember the details, but I seem to recall that it only
half-worked...

If you are interested, I can try and find the C source for the library
and send it to you.

Matt

Re: new here, a few questions

Todd Oberly
--- In [hidden email], burkemat <no_reply@...> wrote:

> --- In [hidden email], "Todd Oberly" <taoberly@> wrote:
>
> > 3) By the time you read this, maybe I'll have found it in the manual,
> > but how do I launch an existing "appl" file with Plua?  Does it matter
> > where the program is located (ie. in the ROM, on the SD card, etc.)?
> >

> A (long) time ago, I had put together a library for use with Plua that
> would call the PalmOS function for launching another application.  I
> don't remember the details, but I seem to recall that it only
> half-worked...
>
> If you are interested, I can try and find the C source for the library
> and send it to you.

I'm not much of a C programmer, and even less a Palm developer, so the
source code probably wouldn't help.  But I wouldn't mind trying a
binary.  Given the multitasking issues, my goal here would be to
simply force a certain screen (phone, home, etc.) every time Plua
exits.  You can send it to my Yahoo account, toddoberly at yahoo com.

Thanks!
Todd

Re: new here, a few questions

migueletto-2
--- In [hidden email], "Todd Oberly" <taoberly@...> wrote:

> I'm hoping for a way to access the "Builtin" volume that appears in
> FileZ when you enable the "Show Hidden Volumes" setting.  I'm not sure
> if this DBCache or direct access to NVFS.  The Resco Explorer docs
> describe it like this: "NVFS databases can't be accessed directly.
> Therefore Palm OS reserves part of RAM called DbCache. Prior to its
> use the databases are copied from NVFS to the DbCache and after the
> use they are copied back (if changed) or just purged (otherwise)."
>
> Might you have any plans for a vfs01: (?) to access this storage?

The N after vfsN means the nth VFS slot on the device. So if a device
has two memory card slots, you use vfs1 to access the second slot
(although I could never test this feature).

As for future plans, please take a look at the recent posts. I do not
develop Plua anymore.

Regards,
Marcio.

Re: new here, a few questions

Todd Oberly
--- In [hidden email], "migueletto" <migueletto@...> wrote:

> --- In [hidden email], "Todd Oberly" <taoberly@> wrote:
>
> > I'm hoping for a way to access the "Builtin" volume that appears in
> > FileZ when you enable the "Show Hidden Volumes" setting.  I'm not sure
> > if this DBCache or direct access to NVFS.  The Resco Explorer docs
> > describe it like this: "NVFS databases can't be accessed directly.
> > Therefore Palm OS reserves part of RAM called DbCache. Prior to its
> > use the databases are copied from NVFS to the DbCache and after the
> > use they are copied back (if changed) or just purged (otherwise)."
> >
> > Might you have any plans for a vfs01: (?) to access this storage?
>
> The N after vfsN means the nth VFS slot on the device. So if a device
> has two memory card slots, you use vfs1 to access the second slot
> (although I could never test this feature).

I believe the NVFS feature was introduced on the Treo 650 and the
Tungsten T5.  Both are around 4 years old, so if this already worked,
I think you'd probably know about it my now, even if not from
first-hand experience.  But I'll be sure to test it shortly and report
my results.

> As for future plans, please take a look at the recent posts. I do not
> develop Plua anymore.

I'm sorry to hear development has ceased, but happy that someone else
may be picking it up.  "Commercial" is better than "dead", but (and
I'm sure this has been discussed to death) "open source" may have a
leg up on "commercial".  I have a new toy to play with, so I'll be
happy for a while in either case. :)

Thanks,

Todd

Re: Re: new here, a few questions

Berkant Atay

Hi,
You don't have to access the"BUILTIN" region of PalmOS to edit files in the RAM. You can open, edit or create all kinds of databases in RAM using io.open functions. Just have a a look in the manual. File manupilation in Plua is more than enough for most of our needs.

No, you cannot start Palm apps within Plua.

In the files section of this yahoo groups there is ample examples and documents to help you.

Regards.

Re: new here, a few questions

Pal-3
--- In [hidden email], "migueletto" <migueletto@...> wrote:

> As for future plans, please take a look at the recent posts. I do not
> develop Plua anymore.

Marcio: What are you developing at the moment, as PALM OS IS DEAD? Sorry, I hate to say it,
but our beloved OS is history, and with that, sadly, Plua will soon be a relic of stuck in time.

Having said that, as we all know Marcio is a gifted software developer, and a disciple of Lua
(I'm taking license here, Marcio), let us flock with him to the next fruitful pasture / dev
platform.

So what are you working on?

Regards,
Pal

Re: new here, a few questions

migueletto-2
--- In [hidden email], "Pal" <greenchile505@...> wrote:

> Marcio: What are you developing at the moment, as PALM OS IS DEAD?
Sorry, I hate to say it,
> but our beloved OS is history, and with that, sadly, Plua will soon
be a relic of stuck in time.

I agree. It was good while it lasted, but PalmOS is dead.

> So what are you working on?

Work related stuff.. you know, the kind of work that pays the bills :-)

Regards,
Marcio.