mobile development?

Etiene Dalcol
Hello folks,

Can anyone recommend me a good tool for mobile development in Lua?
I know you can use corona for apps, but it is more game dev oriented.

Is there anything similar to React-Native?

Cheers,
Etiene

Re: mobile development?

Dirk Laurie-2
There is an Android app for Love2D. Although also game oriented, you
can think of it as a GUI for Lua.

> Hello folks,
>
> Can anyone recommend me a good tool for mobile development in Lua?
> I know you can use corona for apps, but it is more game dev oriented.
>
> Is there anything similar to React-Native?
>
> Cheers,
> Etiene

Re: mobile development?

Javier Guerra Giraldez

On 1 June 2018 at 16:13, Etiene Dalcol <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello folks,

Can anyone recommend me a good tool for mobile development in Lua?
I know you can use corona for apps, but it is more game dev oriented.

AFAICT, all current Lua mobile dev environments are game oriented.  I've only slightly tried a few of them a few years ago.  from memory, i think Gideros was the easiest one, but felt too limiting.  Moai looked more complete, and looked like could be used for non-games, i don't know if it's still alive or just in zombie-mode after its "sponsorship" (or more exactly the only company paying developers and doing everything) was retired.

Is there anything similar to React-Native?

that would be a strong con in my book....   ;-)

Javier

AW: mobile development?

michaelflad
I use both, Corona and Löve - Löve is even more game oriented than Corona.

I'd be interested in a more app / native UI oriented framework too.

Michael

Re: mobile development?

Thomas Fletcher
You can check out Crank's Storyboard Suite.

www.cranksoftware.com

It is a commercial product with a full free evaluation but uses Lua for the UI glue logic.

Full Disclosure: I work for Crank Software.

Thomas

On Fri, Jun 1, 2018, 11:47 AM Michael Flad <[hidden email]> wrote:
I use both, Corona and Löve - Löve is even more game oriented than Corona.

I'd be interested in a more app / native UI oriented framework too.

Michael

Re: mobile development?

Eric Wing
On 6/1/18, Etiene Dalcol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello folks,
>
> Can anyone recommend me a good tool for mobile development in Lua?
> I know you can use corona for apps, but it is more game dev oriented.
>
> Is there anything similar to React-Native?
>
> Cheers,
> Etiene

This is still early and largely incomplete, but I've been developing
native iOS and Android (and Mac & Emscripten) backends for IUP. IUP
has Lua bindings.

I presented at the Lua Workshop 2017 about it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQONe3yHxCk

I also did a prior video focused on iOS & Android:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvrEfOg3Nyk

This is part of my effort to develop Blurrr SDK, which my associate in
the Lua Workshop talk describes as "'Create React App' for native
apps".
https://blurrrsdk.com

Blurrr SDK got started with SDL based libraries so people could build
cross-platform games for desktop & mobile. I've been implementing IUP
so people can also choose to do traditional apps.

The current version of Blurrr includes a "sneak preview" build of IUP
(Lua bindings included), that contains my current progress on all the
ports. As I said, it is still early and largely incomplete (Mac is
much further along), but if you have a narrow set of GUI requirements,
maybe we can focus on getting enough implemented to do your app.

Please feel to contact me directly if you would like to discuss more.

* Disclaimer: I used to work at Corona.

Thanks,
Eric