makefiles in 5.1

Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
Since 5.0, the top-level Makefile contains echo, lecho, and pecho targets
that were supposed to be helpful for downstream packagers. For instance,
make echo in Lua 5.1 outputs the text below. (make lecho outputs this
data as a Lua program.) Should we keep these targets?  Are they useful?
Does anyone use them? Will anyone use them, now that they know they exist? :-)
--lhf

% make echo

These are the parameters currently set in src/Makefile to build Lua 5.1:

PLAT = none
CC = gcc
CFLAGS = -O2 -Wall
AR = ar rcu
RANLIB = ranlib
RM = rm -f
MYCFLAGS =
MYLDFLAGS =
MYLIBS =

These are the parameters currently set in Makefile to install Lua 5.1:

PLAT = none
INSTALL_TOP = /usr/local
INSTALL_BIN = /usr/local/bin
INSTALL_INC = /usr/local/include
INSTALL_LIB = /usr/local/lib
INSTALL_MAN = /usr/local/man/man1
INSTALL_EXEC = cp
INSTALL_DATA = cp

See also src/luaconf.h .

Re: makefiles in 5.1

David Burgess
On 1/18/06, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Since 5.0, the top-level Makefile contains echo, lecho, and pecho targets
> that were supposed to be helpful for downstream packagers. For instance,
> make echo in Lua 5.1 outputs the text below. (make lecho outputs this
> data as a Lua program.)
> Should we keep these targets?
yes
> Are they useful?
yes
>  Does anyone use them?
yes

Re: makefiles in 5.1

Asko Kauppi

They may be useful, but not necessarily in downstream packaging.

At least, the way I see it, packaging calls for some sed'ding of
Makefile and probably lua_conf.h, and then the normal compilation.
Any packaging starts by a clean tgz, fresh from ftp.

-asko