Back in 2014 I experimented with using message queues with Lua. I wrote a Lua binding for ZeroMQ, an open-source universal messaging library, luazmq, and mqlua, a program to execute multiple Lua states, each in its own POSIX thread, communicating using ZeroMQ. I call these parallel running Lua states nodes.
Bot packages have recently been updated and extended, because we started to use them in production for a large scale, containerized micro services based application.
Most notably luazmq no longer uses integer constants for flags etc, but strings which seems to be more Lua'ish.
If you are interested in playing with message queues in Lua, all the code is on github, but be warned, it currently lacks documentation and meaningful examples (I plan to add those).