lua.org

Jim Mathies-2

Just out of curiosity, why aren't you guys
using Lua.org for your main URL?  I've noticed
that a simple check of "some opensource project".org
results in the right home page. Seems the same should
work for Lua?

Regards,
Jim.

--
Y i n d o  I n c.
w w w . y i n d o . c o m

RE: lua.org

John Passaniti-4
> Just out of curiosity, why aren't you
> guys using Lua.org for your main URL?
> I've noticed that a simple check of
> "some opensource project".org results
> in the right home page. Seems the same
> should work for Lua?

The domain names lua.com, lua.org, and lua.net are all taken.  The .org and
.net domains are currently owned by "domain name speculators" who will
likely charge a premium to release the domain name.  Yet another reason to
hate domain name speculators.

Maybe some mutation like "lualang.com" would work, but it would be less
intuitive.

Money probably isn't the issue here.  One can register domains name for very
cheap these days.  But if money does matter, I and I'm sure others would be
happy to chip in a few bucks to help purchase a domain name.

RE: lua.org

>The domain names lua.com, lua.org, and lua.net are all taken.

Yes, they are taken, but last time I checked not all of them were in use,
in the sense that there was no real site at the address.
I think they're looking for a buyer.
I tried to get a price for one of them but I couldn't (either the web form
did not work, or my email was not answered, I don't remember).

>Money probably isn't the issue here.  One can register domains name for very
>cheap these days.  But if money does matter, I and I'm sure others would be
>happy to chip in a few bucks to help purchase a domain name.

It would be great if you could find out what is for sale and exactly how much
that would cost. Perhaps this is easier for people in North America than for
us here.

Thanks for your help.

Re: lua.org

Erik Hougaard
> >Money probably isn't the issue here.  One can register domains name for
very
> >cheap these days.  But if money does matter, I and I'm sure others would
be
> >happy to chip in a few bucks to help purchase a domain name.
>
> It would be great if you could find out what is for sale and exactly how
much
> that would cost. Perhaps this is easier for people in North America than
for
> us here.

LUA.NET
------------
Hello,
This domain of me was wished to use usefully in your company.
Price of domain that I judge $3,000 that is suitable think .
And want to hear your ideas. It is last email
Best Regards,

/Erik

Re: lua.org

Erik Hougaard

Re: lua.org

Carlos Cardoso
IMHO, this is steal. plain and simple. I grab something useless, because
I know YOU will need it in the future. Bah. Get a Job, earn HONEST money.

Luiz, is the lua.org.br available ?

On Mon, 15 Jan 2001 15:05:36 +0100
[hidden email] (Erik Hougaard) wrote:

> [...]

Atenciosamente,

Carlos Cardoso
[hidden email]

-------------------------------------
Hands - o site brasileiro que coloca
as informações na palma de suas mãos.
       http://www.hands.com.br
-------------------------------------
HANDS - Eleita melhor empresa de Internet na
categoria serviços na Fenasoft  2000 .

Re: lua.org

Nils Svangaard
As an alternative, liblua.org is available. (At least there are some similar
projectpages around, like libsdl.org for example.)

-- Nils

Re: lua.org

Erik Hougaard
Another domain to use could be:

www.lua4.com

/Erik

Re: lua.org

Nick Trout-2
what happens what happens when lua 5 comes out? :-)

luascript.*
lualanguage.*
lualang.*

are all available.

I was just wondering how the new, more efficient, version of toLua was coming along. Current version works fine with 4.0 but there was talk of improving the effieciency of it?

Cheers,
Nick.

>    I was just wondering how the new, more efficient, version of toLua was
>    coming along. Current version works fine with 4.0 but there was talk of
>    improving the effieciency of it?

It works??? Where did you get it?
My version is tied to Lua 3.x

Best regards, Maxim F. Ischenko.

Re: lua.org

Nick Trout-2

>    I was just wondering how the new, more efficient, version of toLua was
>    coming along. Current version works fine with 4.0 but there was talk of
>    improving the effieciency of it?

It works??? Where did you get it?
My version is tied to Lua 3.x
An alpha version was put on the Lua site (may still be on the FTP site?),failing that its author is [hidden email] He will probably know more than me.

Best regards, Maxim F. Ischenko

Re: lua.org

Carlos Cardoso
What a silly question.

We register www.lua4++.org, of course. ;)

On Mon, 15 Jan 2001 14:26:34 -0000
"Nick Trout" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> what happens what happens when lua 5 comes out? :-)
>
> luascript.*
> lualanguage.*
> lualang.*
>
> are all available.
>
> I was just wondering how the new, more efficient, version of toLua was coming along. Current version works fine with 4.0 but there was talk of improving the effieciency of it?
>
> Cheers,
> Nick.

Atenciosamente,

Carlos Cardoso
[hidden email]

-------------------------------------
Hands - o site brasileiro que coloca
as informações na palma de suas mãos.
       http://www.hands.com.br
-------------------------------------
HANDS - Eleita melhor empresa de Internet na
categoria serviços na Fenasoft  2000 .

Re: lua.org

>  lualanguage.*
>  [...]
>  are all available.

"lualanguage.org" is not available! We own it already ;-) but not
everybody down here are happy with this name. What do the list think about
it? (Another option could be lua.org.br, but it seems that there is some
burocracy to open a .br domain, even for us here...)

tolua 4.0a

Waldemar Celes-3

> >    I was just wondering how the new, more efficient, version of toLua was
> >    coming along. Current version works fine with 4.0 but there was talk of
> >    improving the effieciency of it?

I plan to release an official release soon,
but to truly gain effieciency we need features
that will be available only with Lua 4.1.

> It works??? Where did you get it?
> My version is tied to Lua 3.x

For those who missed my original message:

***********************

there is a alpha version available at
ftp.tecgraf.puc-rio.br/pub/celes/tolua/tolua-4.0a.tar.gz

I am still working on its performance, and will probably change
the code (not the interface) in the next days.
Also, the docs are not up-to-date.

The main changes are:
- Lua 4.0 compatible (tolua is now reentrant)
- new support for 'bool' type (mapped to Lua  as 1 or nil)
- new support for extracting .pkg instruction from real header file
- fixed bugs reported in this list.
- no support for overloading relational operators: <=, >=, > (it
supports < only)
- the option -a is no longer support (we need the lua state to initalize
tolua)

feedbacks, suggestions and bug reports are very wellcome.

-- waldemar

Re: tolua 4.0a

Nick Trout-2
Suggestions (off top of my head) :-
* Flag in toLua to generate conditional flags around argument checking code so I can use it conditionally. ie. if I am happy the code is all working I could turn arg checking off for extra performance in release version.

static int toluaI_ming_mingError00(lua_State* tolua_S)
{
#if CHECK_ARGS
 if (
 !tolua_istype(tolua_S,1,LUA_TSTRING,0) ||
 !tolua_isnoobj(tolua_S,2)
 )
 goto tolua_lerror;
 else
#endif
 {
  char* tolua_var_1 = ((char*)  tolua_getstring(tolua_S,1,0));
 {
  mingError(tolua_var_1);
 return 0;
#if CHECK_ARGS
tolua_lerror:
 tolua_error(tolua_S,"#ferror in function 'mingError'.");
 return 0;
#endif
}
This could possibly be: tolua -argsflag CHECK_ARGS
so you can change the name of the flag generated (eg. to _DEBUG) easily.

* Static functions in tolua generated wrapper to generate error messages:
 tolua_error(tolua_S,"#ferror in function 'mingError'.");
could be
makeferror(char *fn)
{
    char e[256];
    sprintf("#ferror in function '%s'",fn);
    tolua_error(state,e);
}

if you get my drift. Just a slight memory optimisation when you have a couple of hundred functions.

* Can you put the included header eg. $#include "myheader.h" at the very top of the file so my precompiled headers work properly! eg. in Borland.

#include "tolua.h"

/* Exported function */
int tolua_min_open (lua_State* tolua_S);
void tolua_min_close (lua_State* tolua_S);

#include "minpch.h"
#pragma hdrstop
#include "gui/gui.h"
ie. #include "minpch.h" etc. should go before the exported fns.

Cheers,
Nick.

> >    I was just wondering how the new, more efficient, version of toLua was
> >    coming along. Current version works fine with 4.0 but there was talk of
> >    improving the effieciency of it?

I plan to release an official release soon,
but to truly gain effieciency we need features
that will be available only with Lua 4.1.

> It works??? Where did you get it?
> My version is tied to Lua 3.x

For those who missed my original message:

***********************

there is a alpha version available at
ftp.tecgraf.puc-rio.br/pub/celes/tolua/tolua-4.0a.tar.gz

I am still working on its performance, and will probably change
the code (not the interface) in the next days.
Also, the docs are not up-to-date.

The main changes are:
- Lua 4.0 compatible (tolua is now reentrant)
- new support for 'bool' type (mapped to Lua  as 1 or nil)
- new support for extracting .pkg instruction from real header file
- fixed bugs reported in this list.
- no support for overloading relational operators: <=, >=, > (it
supports < only)
- the option -a is no longer support (we need the lua state to initalize
tolua)

feedbacks, suggestions and bug reports are very wellcome.

-- waldemar

Re: lua.org

Carlos Cardoso
I really like lua.org.br. And the bureaucracy is not THAT complex. A
good ISP can take care of the dirty work.

On Mon, 15 Jan 2001 13:43:28 -0200
Roberto Ierusalimschy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >  lualanguage.*
> >  [...]
> >  are all available.
>
> "lualanguage.org" is not available! We own it already ;-) but not
> everybody down here are happy with this name. What do the list think about
> it? (Another option could be lua.org.br, but it seems that there is some
> burocracy to open a .br domain, even for us here...)
>
> -- Roberto

Atenciosamente,

Carlos Cardoso
[hidden email]

-------------------------------------
Hands - o site brasileiro que coloca
as informações na palma de suas mãos.
       http://www.hands.com.br
-------------------------------------
HANDS - Eleita melhor empresa de Internet na
categoria serviços na Fenasoft  2000 .

Re: lua.org

James Hearn
> I really like lua.org.br. And the bureaucracy is not THAT complex. A
> good ISP can take care of the dirty work.

I agree...

Re: tolua 4.0a

James Hearn
> > >    I was just wondering how the new, more efficient, version of toLua
was
> > >    coming along. Current version works fine with 4.0 but there was
talk of
> > >    improving the effieciency of it?
>
> I plan to release an official release soon,
> but to truly gain effieciency we need features
> that will be available only with Lua 4.1.

I have toLua 4.0a, but am wondering what lua 4.1 will do that will provide
such efficiency increases. Will my code designed for 4.0 still work with
4.1?

--James Hearn

rje

Re: lua.org

rje
On Mon, Jan 15, 2001 at 11:01:14AM -0700, James Hearn wrote:
> > I really like lua.org.br. And the bureaucracy is not THAT complex. A
> > good ISP can take care of the dirty work.

I'm sorry, I missed a posting.  Who said the above?  All my threading's
gone down the loo.

--
Rob Kendrick - http://www.digital-scurf.org/
Duty, n:
		-- Oscar Wilde

Re: tolua 4.0a

Waldemar Celes-3

> I have toLua 4.0a, but am wondering what lua 4.1 will do that will provide
> such efficiency increases.

not too much. Lua 4.1 may allow the client to associate a name to a tag,
what would simplify the way tolua checks parameter types.

> Will my code designed for 4.0 still work with
> 4.1?

sure.

-- waldemar

12