lua on Plan 9

Robert Hibberdine
Hi,

About a year or so ago there was some talk on this list of porting Lua v5 to Plan 9. Does anybody know if anything happened?

(I can't get to the Plan 9 server at Bell labs at the moment to see if there's anything there..)

Thanks

Bob

Re: lua on Plan 9

Robert Hibberdine
Robert Hibberdine wrote:

Hi,

About a year or so ago there was some talk on this list of porting Lua v5 to Plan 9. Does anybody know if anything happened?

(I can't get to the Plan 9 server at Bell labs at the moment to see if there's anything there..)

Thanks

Bob

Just for completeness I am replying to my own question!

Lua 5.0.2 was ported to Plan9 last year. It is in the contrib section at the Plan9 site..

Bob

Re: lua on Plan 9

Robert Raschke-2
Robert Hibberdine wrote:
> Robert Hibberdine wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> About a year or so ago there was some talk on this list of porting Lua
>> v5 to Plan 9. Does anybody know if anything happened?
>>
>> (I can't get to the Plan 9 server at Bell labs at the moment to see if
>> there's anything there..)
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Bob
>>
> Just for completeness I am replying to my own question!
>
> Lua 5.0.2 was ported to Plan9 last year. It is in the contrib section at
> the Plan9 site..
>
> Bob

The last time I used Lua on Plan 9 I just compiled it up in the posix
environment (APE, pcc(1) ) and it all just worked. That was 5.0.2.

I would love to see some special Plan 9 libraries though, to have
access to the acme(4) interface and the fabulously sane thread(2)
system.  Something for the long winter months I think.

Robby

Re: lua on Plan 9

Robert Hibberdine
Robert Raschke wrote:

Robert Hibberdine wrote:
Robert Hibberdine wrote:

Hi,

About a year or so ago there was some talk on this list of porting Lua v5 to Plan 9. Does anybody know if anything happened?

(I can't get to the Plan 9 server at Bell labs at the moment to see if there's anything there..)

Thanks

Bob

Just for completeness I am replying to my own question!

Lua 5.0.2 was ported to Plan9 last year. It is in the contrib section at the Plan9 site..

Bob

The last time I used Lua on Plan 9 I just compiled it up in the posix
environment (APE, pcc(1) ) and it all just worked. That was 5.0.2.

I would love to see some special Plan 9 libraries though, to have
access to the acme(4) interface and the fabulously sane thread(2)
system.  Something for the long winter months I think.

Robby

Yes. When I asked the question I was hoping for a "native" Plan9 Lua. Building file servers in Lua seems like a good idea to me...
Bob

Re: lua on Plan 9

Javier Guerra Giraldez
On Wednesday 19 July 2006 2:52 am, Robert Hibberdine wrote:
> Yes. When I asked the question I was hoping for a "native" Plan9 Lua.
> Building file servers in Lua seems like a good idea to me...

that was my goal when i got involved with Xavante: get a good HTTP server
platform, then build a WebDAV server on it, and then use it like a
programmable fileserver

--
Javier

Re: lua on Plan 9

Javier Guerra Giraldez
On Wednesday 19 July 2006 2:52 am, Robert Hibberdine wrote:
> Building file servers in Lua seems like a good idea to me...

i've also played with the idea of a FUSE library for Lua, the main drawback is
that it's Linux-specific

--
Javier

Re: lua on Plan 9

Robert Hibberdine
Javier Guerra wrote:

On Wednesday 19 July 2006 2:52 am, Robert Hibberdine wrote:
Building file servers in Lua seems like a good idea to me...

i've also played with the idea of a FUSE library for Lua, the main drawback is that it's Linux-specific

Seems to me a 9p2000 client / server library for Lua would be the way to go (I think this has been done for Python and Java) . How much encouragement would you need, Javier? :-).

Bob

Re: lua on Plan 9

Javier Guerra Giraldez
On Wednesday 19 July 2006 3:49 am, Robert Hibberdine wrote:
> Seems to me a 9p2000 client / server library for Lua would be the way to
> go (I think this has been done for Python and Java) . How much
> encouragement would you need, Javier?   :-).

humm.... i see the 9P module has been accepted in the main Linux kernel.  i
wonder how much source-compatible would that be with real Plan9

--
Javier

Re: lua on Plan 9

Robert Hibberdine
Javier Guerra wrote:

On Wednesday 19 July 2006 3:49 am, Robert Hibberdine wrote:
Seems to me a 9p2000 client / server library for Lua would be the way to
go (I think this has been done for Python and Java) . How much
encouragement would you need, Javier?   :-).

humm.... i see the 9P module has been accepted in the main Linux kernel. i wonder how much source-compatible would that be with real Plan9

Not sure. I'm just starting out on this 9p stuff. I've played aound (as a user) with the Linux v9fs module and npfs (9p server libraries) and it all seems to work ok. But it's early days at the moment. There is also the Plan9port stuff for Linux (http://swtch.com/plan9port/) ... This might be a better way to go for a library..

My understanding is that as the underlying system (Plan9 and Linux) are so differnet a lot of the code is devoted to translating stuff (file permissions etc) between the two. Obviously the v9fs / npfs stuff is only for Linux. I have no idea if anything like this is avaiable for windows. So to have a Lua library to do this would be great. Whether you could make a single source library to provide 9p servers in Lua for Plan9, linux and Windows is a question I am currently not competent enough to answer.

Bob

Re: lua on Plan 9

Javier Guerra Giraldez
as fascinating as Plan9 is, i think currently Linux and BSD are far more
appropriate for a server platform.  also, even if the 9P protocol might be
the cleanest and most flexible way to export a filesystem on a network, the
lack of clients limits it to experimental setups.

but application-level filesystems (or at least namespaces) can be a wonderful
addition to Lua.  I think the most-useful first step would be a FUSE binding;
it's a stable API and kernel module, able to be published with NFS or Samba
for any kind of LAN clients.

if it gets useful, it might be easier to extend the same Lua API to the Plan9
architecture, even if the C library is totally different.

--
Javier

Re: lua on Plan 9

Hisham Muhammad
On 7/19/06, Javier Guerra <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wednesday 19 July 2006 2:52 am, Robert Hibberdine wrote:
> Building file servers in Lua seems like a good idea to me...

i've also played with the idea of a FUSE library for Lua, the main drawback
is
that it's Linux-specific

At the risk of being off-topic: FUSE has been ported to FreeBSD (same
codebase for the userspace part is used in both systems); there were
talks on the FUSE list about porting it to Mac OS X as well but I
don't know how far that went. Libfuse looks very much like a *nix
thing though, so if you're going for greater portability, the Xavante
approach is probably a better bet.

-- Hisham

Re: lua on Plan 9

Robert Hibberdine
Javier Guerra wrote:

as fascinating as Plan9 is, i think currently Linux and BSD are far more appropriate for a server platform.
Agreed.

also, even if the 9P protocol might be the cleanest and most flexible way to export a filesystem on a network, the lack of clients limits it to experimental setups.
Not sure about that. We have v9fs in Linux. (And the npfs libs for servers.) Plus client written in Python and JAVA.

I started the question about Lua on Plan9 because I like the idea of wrting a few little apps on the system. My interest in 9p servers / clients centres around Linux. FUSE is fine. I can allways use npfs to export a FUSE based server to the network via 9p..:-)

Bob

Re: lua on Plan 9

Javier Guerra Giraldez
Quoting Hisham Muhammad <[hidden email]>:
> At the risk of being off-topic: FUSE has been ported to FreeBSD (same
> codebase for the userspace part is used in both systems); there were

nice, didn't know that

> talks on the FUSE list about porting it to Mac OS X as well but I
> don't know how far that went. Libfuse looks very much like a *nix
> thing though, so if you're going for greater portability, the Xavante
> approach is probably a better bet.

that was my reasoning. also, WebDAV is the only fs-like protocol i know that
goes well beyond classic fs model, with properties, sophisticated locking and
versioning.

i got the basic DAV server running on Xavante, but i stumbled when trying to
define a simple but expressive API for modules.  ideally, it would be easy to
create a new backends for file, locks, properties and versions.  for example,
the typical properties backend would use a database (BDB, or SQL, whatever),
but another one could read EXIM fields on a picture file, hopefully the
administrator could select more than one backend, to add properties easily.

that's where i got dazzled, and reverted to the "simpler" problem of creating
yet another way to program websites....

------
Javier