lua documentation

Matthew Frederico
Lua is a fantastic language.  I've been enjoying getting to know it .. I'm still not quite on par with my lua skills as I am in PHP - however - I am endeavoring to do so.

The documentation is something that makes it difficult to manage - and learning php was easy due to how their documentation / website was set up..

So, I created https://www.luadocs.com/  to help me learn lua  better.   I based it on the php.net design, so you can do https://luadocs.com/ipairs and it should pull up the ipairs docs.

Right now it is using the 5.1 english manual from lua.org, but I plan to start adding the other languages as I go along.  Also, it is currently written in PHP .. don't be angry.

I would appreciate any feedback!

Warmest Regards,

-`;'- Matthew Frederico

Ryan | Charles <[hidden email]>
Software Developer / System Administrator

Re: lua documentation

szbnwer@gmail.com
if you are talking about readthedocs then there can be an as simple
solution as a separator for official materies and additional
knowledge... docs of php have a lotsa repetitive knowledge, i dunno
how can be that extended or how not, but a button for sending in
materies can be good, but the downside is that they should accept that
you can edit their stuffs like make complex examples easier if needed
and merge related stuffs or just for reordering or whatever... even
wiki is something that could be useful... the hard part of your task
is that lua already have an ecosystem that you have to overcome with
values. i believe this is the programmers' main task nowadays as there
are kinda much everything out there, but they can be better, so its
not a useless task at all, i hope that everyone will be happy with
your work, ive already bookmarked ur page :)

however do it as u like it, different ideas evolves things, and for
your learning it will be better to let you stay free and learn more
than overengineering small parts, but the latter makes it desirable
and useful :)

Re: lua documentation

Ryan Ford
Just going to throw this out there, but https://devdocs.io has lua 5.1-5.3 and is a very handy resource. Saves your selected docs in the browsers local storage do you can use it offline. Also have love, the nginx lua mod docs if you're into those things as well. Really great resource.
--
Sent from my Android phone with mail.com Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

-`;'- Matthew Frederico

Re: lua documentation

Ką Mykolas
There were some guys, including me, adding some docs at the StackOverflow docs.
Sadly, the project was "dismantled".  Also, there similar initiative in DuckDuckGo instant answers.

On Sun, Dec 17, 2017 at 9:43 AM, Ryan Ford <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Sol

Re: lua documentation

Sol
It's a pity that PIL is not free and we will need to repeat this work
independently...

> There were some guys, including me, adding some docs at the StackOverflow
> docs.
> Sadly, the project was "dismantled".  Also, there similar initiative in
> DuckDuckGo instant answers.
>
> On Sun, Dec 17, 2017 at 9:43 AM, Ryan Ford <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Just going to throw this out there, but https://devdocs.io has lua 5.1-5.3
>> and is a very handy resource. Saves your selected docs in the browsers local
>> storage do you can use it offline. Also have love, the nginx lua mod docs if
>> you're into those things as well. Really great resource.
>> --
>> Sent from my Android phone with mail.com Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
>> On 12/16/2017, 8:45 AM Matthew Frederico <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Lua is a fantastic language.  I've been enjoying getting to know it ..
>>> I'm still not quite on par with my lua skills as I am in PHP - however - I
>>> am endeavoring to do so.
>>>
>>> The documentation is something that makes it difficult to manage - and
>>> learning php was easy due to how their documentation / website was set up..
>>>
>>> So, I created https://www.luadocs.com/  to help me learn lua  better.   I
>>> based it on the php.net design, so you can do https://luadocs.com/ipairs and
>>> it should pull up the ipairs docs.
>>>
>>> Right now it is using the 5.1 english manual from lua.org, but I plan to
>>> start adding the other languages as I go along.  Also, it is currently
>>> written in PHP .. don't be angry.
>>>
>>> I would appreciate any feedback!
>>>
>>> Warmest Regards,
>>>
>>> --
>>> -`;'- Matthew Frederico

Re: lua documentation

> It's a pity that PIL is not free and we will need to repeat this work
> independently...

PiL 1 is available online, and links are free.

Your browser's "go back one page button" gets you back again to your
own documention.

Sol

Re: lua documentation

Sol
> PiL 1 is available online, and links are free.

Not for translate and only for personal use. Useless for "Lua around"
communities.

Re: lua documentation

Russell Haley
On Sun, Dec 17, 2017 at 2:47 PM, Sol Salpagarov <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It's a pity that PIL is not free and we will need to repeat this work
> independently...

It's a pity people won't pay a measly $40 for the PIL.

>> There were some guys, including me, adding some docs at the StackOverflow
>> docs.
>> Sadly, the project was "dismantled".  Also, there similar initiative in
>> DuckDuckGo instant answers.
>>
>> On Sun, Dec 17, 2017 at 9:43 AM, Ryan Ford <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Just going to throw this out there, but https://devdocs.io has lua 5.1-5.3
>>> and is a very handy resource. Saves your selected docs in the browsers local
>>> storage do you can use it offline. Also have love, the nginx lua mod docs if
>>> you're into those things as well. Really great resource.
>>> --
>>> Sent from my Android phone with mail.com Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

Re: lua documentation

Thomas Fletcher

On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 2:54 PM, Russell Haley <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sun, Dec 17, 2017 at 2:47 PM, Sol Salpagarov <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It's a pity that PIL is not free and we will need to repeat this work
> independently...

It's a pity people won't pay a measly $40 for the PIL.

+1 to that.  Programming in Lua is an absolutely excellent book and companion to the free and minimal Lua language reference.  I'm happy to buy a copy for any of my employees that want a copy of their own to be able to support it's authors and encourage them to continue keeping it up to date and relevant.

Not everything in this world needs to be free, some things are well worth paying for.

Thomas
--
Thomas Fletcher
VP Research & Development
e. [hidden email]
w. www.cranksoftware.com

Re: lua documentation

Matthew Frederico
I don't know about you, but personally I suck at pressing ^F through hard copy text .. nor can I search it with a browser.    ;-)

On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 12:57 PM, Thomas Fletcher <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 2:54 PM, Russell Haley <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sun, Dec 17, 2017 at 2:47 PM, Sol Salpagarov <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It's a pity that PIL is not free and we will need to repeat this work
> independently...

It's a pity people won't pay a measly $40 for the PIL.

+1 to that.  Programming in Lua is an absolutely excellent book and companion to the free and minimal Lua language reference.  I'm happy to buy a copy for any of my employees that want a copy of their own to be able to support it's authors and encourage them to continue keeping it up to date and relevant.

Not everything in this world needs to be free, some things are well worth paying for.

Thomas
--
Thomas Fletcher
VP Research & Development
t. +1 (613) 595 1999 x511
c. +1 (613) 878 4659
e. [hidden email]
w. www.cranksoftware.com

-`;'- Matthew Frederico
Sol

Re: lua documentation

Sol
> It's a pity people won't pay a measly $40 for the PIL.
English or Portuguese?
Thanks a lot.
PiL4 in Russian is not exist.
And I can not translate it without approval from DMK-press, russian plublisher.

With such arrogance, Lua will always be behind Python and Go.

Re: lua documentation

Russell Haley
On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 12:34 PM, Sol Salpagarov <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> It's a pity people won't pay a measly $40 for the PIL.
> English or Portuguese?
> Thanks a lot.
> PiL4 in Russian is not exist.
> And I can not translate it without approval from DMK-press, russian
> plublisher.
That's a significant problem. Is your new content in Russian?

> With such arrogance, Lua will always be behind Python and Go.

The men that invented Lua are educators. Arrogance is insisting they
should give you the fruits of their labor for free.

Re: lua documentation

Russell Haley

On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 11:57 AM, Thomas Fletcher <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 2:54 PM, Russell Haley <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sun, Dec 17, 2017 at 2:47 PM, Sol Salpagarov <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It's a pity that PIL is not free and we will need to repeat this work
> independently...

It's a pity people won't pay a measly $40 for the PIL.

+1 to that.  Programming in Lua is an absolutely excellent book and companion to the free and minimal Lua language reference.  I'm happy to buy a copy for any of my employees that want a copy of their own to be able to support it's authors and encourage them to continue keeping it up to date and relevant.

Not everything in this world needs to be free, some things are well worth paying for.

PIL is an excellent, simple read that illuminates the entire language. I found a chapter takes about 20 minutes to read if you've touched the language. I no longer worry that I don't understand X principle or I've used a depreciated syntax. That was a real problem before I had the book because I had no absolute reference! Did my chunk fail because I don't know the syntax, or is it wrong? There are three major version people talk about. My understanding is current and complete for the parts of the book I've read. I'm coming to the C API now.

By the way, if that was a ploy to get people looking at your careers page, it worked. :P

Thomas
--
Thomas Fletcher
VP Research & Development
w. www.cranksoftware.com

Re: lua documentation

> I don't know about you, but personally I suck at pressing ^F through hard copy text .. nor can I search it with a browser.    ;-)

I have the paper edition of PiL2 and the electronic edition of PiL 3.

Even on my tablet, no searching problems with the latter.

Re: lua documentation

Pierre Chapuis
On Tue, Dec 19, 2017, at 21:34, Sol Salpagarov wrote:
> It's a pity people won't pay a measly $40 for the PIL.
PiL4 in Russian is not exist.
And I can not translate it without approval from DMK-press, russian plublisher.

Is that a contract issue? Does DMK have exclusivity but refuse to translate PiL 4?
In that case maybe Roberto should get involved somehow?

Pierre Chapuis
Sol

Re: lua documentation

Sol
> That's a significant problem. Is your new content in Russian?
Yes.

> The men that invented Lua are educators.
Me too. And I realize all benefits from free materials like
https://github.com/karlseguin/the-little-go-book
At least, existence https://sefus.ru/little-go-book/ - free and legal.

> Arrogance is insisting they should give you the fruits of their labor for free.
Saying "Arrogance" I mean YOUR message about $40.
I respect the authors' work and I have hard copy PIL3 (in Russian),
but fucking copyrights creates many problems with translation and
publication more actual data.

Re: lua documentation

Viacheslav Usov
On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 9:34 PM, Sol Salpagarov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> And I can not translate it without approval from DMK-press, russian plublisher.

I know that DMK press published an earlier edition of PiL. But the copyright page in PiL4 says: Copyright (C) 2016, 2003 by Roberto Ierusalimschy. All Rights Reserved. Published by the author. The author can be contacted at [hidden email].

Sorry if I am saying the obvious, but are you sure DMK already have the rights for PiL4? Perhaps you could discuss that with Roberto, if you are serious about translating the book.

Cheers,
V.

Re: lua documentation

Roberto Ierusalimschy
> I know that DMK press published an earlier edition of PiL. But the
> copyright page in PiL4 says: Copyright (C) 2016, 2003 by Roberto
> Ierusalimschy. All Rights Reserved. Published by the author. The author can
> be contacted at [hidden email].
>
> Sorry if I am saying the obvious, but are you sure DMK already have the
> rights for PiL4? Perhaps you could discuss that with Roberto, if you are
> serious about translating the book.

They do not. All they have is a "first option" right if anyone proposes
to publish the fourth edition, but nobody did until now. (Even that
will expire in March 2018.)

Re: lua documentation

Russell Haley
On Wed, Dec 20, 2017 at 2:32 AM, Sol Salpagarov <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> That's a significant problem. Is your new content in Russian?
> Yes.
>
>> The men that invented Lua are educators.
> Me too. And I realize all benefits from free materials like
> https://github.com/karlseguin/the-little-go-book
> At least, existence https://sefus.ru/little-go-book/ - free and legal.
>
>> Arrogance is insisting they should give you the fruits of their labor for free.
> Saying "Arrogance" I mean YOUR message about $40.
> I respect the authors' work and I have hard copy PIL3 (in Russian),
> but fucking copyrights creates many problems with translation and
> publication more actual data.

Instead of arguing I shall simply lament ever hearing the name Ted
Nelson a few weeks ago. I no longer seem to have the will to fight
over the pithy things we call technology (but strangely my anger is
subsiding?).

His point is directly relevant to this discussion. Imagine if you
could link to the expert article (which could be paid for by the
character) and then layer your further (expert) information over top.
Imagine where each version is intrinsically linked. You could simply
fly through the versions and see where the interface changed. If the
publishing he envisions were possible our conversations would be much
different. BUT, all the content would be paid for. (that's a good
thing IMHO)

Russ

12