David McNab
Hi all,

I spent some hours yesterday fighting with CDBlib on Plua2, trying to
get it to load.

It seems that in Plua2, the function 'loadlib' requires 2 arguments,
the library name and a 'function name'.

The instructions in the doco for 'CDBLib', telling the user to execute
'os.loadlib()', are not valid for latest Lua2 versions. Also, CDBLib
won't load.

I'm successfully getting extension libs to load by calling:

  loadlib("extname", "extname")

and ensuring that the extension is built with the same creator ID as
Plua2 itself, 'LuaP'.

Lastly, CDBLib is not correctly writing PalmDoc files, hence my
'dbhack' file release (which contains a working Lua module for
reading/writing valid PalmDocs.

Cheers
David

Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: loading extensions in Plua2

migueletto
Hi,

> It seems that in Plua2, the function 'loadlib' requires 2 arguments,
> the library name and a 'function name'.

The custom os.loadlib function was removed in 2.0b4. It was replaced
by the standard Lua loadlib function.

> The instructions in the doco for 'CDBLib', telling the user to execute
> 'os.loadlib()', are not valid for latest Lua2 versions. Also, CDBLib
> won't load.

Probably because this library was built before 2.0b4.

> I'm successfully getting extension libs to load by calling:
>
>   loadlib("extname", "extname")

That is the correct syntax. The second parameter is supposed to be a
function name. In standard Lua, if dynamic library loading is
supported the OS will open the library, search for a function named
"extname" and returns a pointer to it. Then loadlib makes a closure
out of this function and returns it to the caller. In PalmOS however,
there is no OS funcion that works like this. So the library developer
will have to return a function pointer based on the function name
received as parameter to the PluaLibInit function (part of the libkit
API).

> and ensuring that the extension is built with the same creator ID as
> Plua2 itself, 'LuaP'.

A library can have any creator you like.

Regards,
Marcio.

Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: loading extensions in Plua2

burkemat
--- In [hidden email], "migueletto" <mmand@...> wrote:

> Probably because this library was built before 2.0b4.

Drat.  Somehow 2.0b4 slipped past me without my noticing.  I'll have
updated versions of CDBLib and the DLK library posted this weekend.

Matt

Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: loading extensions in Plua2

bh77a
Hi Matt,

Just checking to see if you have had a chance to re-compile the libraries for 2.04b
compliance?

Thanks,
Brian

--- In [hidden email], "bh77a" <brianandlori@...> wrote:

> Hi Matt,
>
> Just checking to see if you have had a chance to re-compile the
libraries for 2.04b
> compliance?

Do you recall in the second Star Trek movie where Captain Kirk says,
"hours can seem like days"? :)

I'll have it done "real soon now"!

Matt

Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: Re: loading extensions in Plua2

David McNab
burkemat wrote:
> --- In [hidden email], "bh77a" <brianandlori@...> wrote:
>> Hi Matt,
>>
>> Just checking to see if you have had a chance to re-compile the
> libraries for 2.04b
>> compliance?

> Do you recall in the second Star Trek movie where Captain Kirk says,
> "hours can seem like days"? :)
> I'll have it done "real soon now"!

Might be kind in subsequent extension lib releases to stick in a note
indicating which versions of plua[2] they're compatible with, so people
don't get 'surprises' when using later plua[2] versions.

--- In [hidden email], David McNab <david@...> wrote:

> burkemat wrote:
> > --- In [hidden email], "bh77a" <brianandlori@> wrote:
> >> Hi Matt,
> >>
> >> Just checking to see if you have had a chance to re-compile the
> > libraries for 2.04b
> >> compliance?
>
> > Do you recall in the second Star Trek movie where Captain Kirk says,
> > "hours can seem like days"? :)
> > I'll have it done "real soon now"!

Matt,

Good quote... Caught it on cable the other day.  Anyways, back on topic, glad to hear that
it will be updated soon.

Brian

> Might be kind in subsequent extension lib releases to stick in a note
> indicating which versions of plua[2] they're compatible with, so people
> don't get 'surprises' when using later plua[2] versions.
>
> Cheers
> David

David,

Very good point.  Slightly off topic, but remember reading in a post that you were working
on an a OO API for Plua 2.  How is it going?

Brian

bh77a wrote:
> Slightly off topic, but remember reading in a post that you were working
> on an a OO API for Plua 2.  How is it going?

It seems fairly stable, and working well. The OO part of it is mostly
ripping off a bunch of ideas from SuperWaba and lua-ising them.

The whole 'feeling' of the framework should be pretty comfortable to
people who've coded into OO-based callback-driven GUI frameworks.

Guess I should cobble together an interim release and stick it up
somewhere and announce it on this group.

Real soon now...

--
Cheers
David

When replying, please ensure the word 'Aotearoa' appears in your
message. This is to ensure your message will bypass my spam filter and
actually get delivered to me. If you're just replying, leave these lines
intact in your message and all will be ok. Many thanks.

Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: loading extensions in Plua2

bh77a-2
David,

Replying to this message so that your spam word is in the body...

I can't seem to find OPlua.prc as mentioned in the documentation.  Where might I find it?

Can the code be written on the Palm and compiled on the Palm provided OPlua.prc is
installed on the Palm?

Thanks,
Brian

bh77a wrote:
> David,
>
> Replying to this message so that your spam word is in the body...
>
> I can't seem to find OPlua.prc as mentioned in the documentation.  Where might I find it?

You need to build it, which requires that you have gnu make, gnu gcc and
python on your system.

If this is a barrier to you please let me know and I'll upload a much
bigger file which contains the built OPlua.prc and other prcs

Cheers
David

--
Cheers
David

When replying, please ensure the word 'Aotearoa' appears in your
message. This is to ensure your message will bypass my spam filter and
actually get delivered to me. If you're just replying, leave these lines
intact in your message and all will be ok. Many thanks.

Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: loading extensions in Plua2

bh77a-2
David,

Could you please upload the compiled OPlua.prc and the others necessary?  Unfortunately
my familiarity with the environments you listed is limited at best.

Thanks,
Brian

bh77a wrote:
> David,
>
> Could you please upload the compiled OPlua.prc and the others necessary?  Unfortunately
> my familiarity with the environments you listed is limited at best.

Actually there's a better and easier way - just copy the contents of
Object.lua and OPlua.lua (in that order) into a file, and use pluac to
cmopile that file into a library, with a command like:

  pluac -lib OPlua oPLa 0.1 OPlua.prc myfile.lua

Then, at the top of your program, just put:

  dofile("OPlua")

I feel reluctant to release a binary OPlua.prc myself, because this
would imply a support burden. It's better if people build their own,
since this encourages them to get familiar with the OPlua source code
and thus empowers them to make improvements.

Cheers
David

> Thanks,
> Brian
>
> --- In [hidden email], David McNab <david@...> wrote:
>> bh77a wrote:
>>> David,
>>>
>>> Replying to this message so that your spam word is in the body...
>>>
>>> I can't seem to find OPlua.prc as mentioned in the documentation.  Where might I find
> it?
>> You need to build it, which requires that you have gnu make, gnu gcc and
>> python on your system.
>>
>> If this is a barrier to you please let me know and I'll upload a much
>> bigger file which contains the built OPlua.prc and other prcs
>>
>> Cheers
>> David
>>
>>> Can the code be written on the Palm and compiled on the Palm provided OPlua.prc is
>>> installed on the Palm?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Brian

>>> Yahoo! Groups Links
>>>

>> --
>> Cheers
>> David
>>
>> When replying, please ensure the word 'Aotearoa' appears in your
>> message. This is to ensure your message will bypass my spam filter and
>> actually get delivered to me. If you're just replying, leave these lines
>> intact in your message and all will be ok. Many thanks.
>>

> Yahoo! Groups Links

Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: loading extensions in Plua2

bh77a-2
Hi David,

Unfortunately, I can't get PluaC to work on my computer, as I use Mac OS X and it only
seems to run in Windows and Linux.  Understandable about not wanting to release a
binary... but without being able to compile on the desktop, I can't use the framework.  If
you can/will, could you send it to me at my personal e-mail: bh at terraworld.net (minus
the obvious spaces).

If you can explain how to get PluaC to work in the Mac OS X platform, that would be a
great alternative.

Thanks,
Brian

--- In [hidden email], David McNab <david@...> wrote:

> bh77a wrote:
> > David,
> >
> > Could you please upload the compiled OPlua.prc and the others necessary?
Unfortunately

> > my familiarity with the environments you listed is limited at best.
>
> Actually there's a better and easier way - just copy the contents of
> Object.lua and OPlua.lua (in that order) into a file, and use pluac to
> cmopile that file into a library, with a command like:
>
>   pluac -lib OPlua oPLa 0.1 OPlua.prc myfile.lua
>
> Then, at the top of your program, just put:
>
>   dofile("OPlua")
>
> I feel reluctant to release a binary OPlua.prc myself, because this
> would imply a support burden. It's better if people build their own,
> since this encourages them to get familiar with the OPlua source code
> and thus empowers them to make improvements.
>
> Cheers
> David
>

> > Thanks,
> > Brian
> >
> > --- In [hidden email], David McNab <david@> wrote:

find

> > it?
> >> You need to build it, which requires that you have gnu make, gnu gcc and
> >> python on your system.
> >>
> >> If this is a barrier to you please let me know and I'll upload a much
> >> bigger file which contains the built OPlua.prc and other prcs
> >>
> >> Cheers
> >> David

is

> >> --
> >> Cheers
> >> David
> >>
> >> When replying, please ensure the word 'Aotearoa' appears in your
> >> message. This is to ensure your message will bypass my spam filter and
> >> actually get delivered to me. If you're just replying, leave these lines
> >> intact in your message and all will be ok. Many thanks.
> >>

> > Yahoo! Groups Links

Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: Re: loading extensions in Plua2

Cameron Kaiser
> Unfortunately, I can't get PluaC to work on my computer, as I use Mac OS X

Actually, I'm preparing to release an OS X pluac. This is with Marcio's
permission. Stay tuned, I just need to get a page up.

--
--------------------------------- personal: http://www.armory.com/~spectre/ ---
  Cameron Kaiser * Floodgap Systems * www.floodgap.com * [hidden email]

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: loading extensions in Plua2

bh77a-2
Great work!  Looking forward to trying it out.  Please post the link when you get the page
up...

Brian

--- In [hidden email], Cameron Kaiser <spectre@...> wrote:

> > Unfortunately, I can't get PluaC to work on my computer, as I use Mac OS X
>
> Actually, I'm preparing to release an OS X pluac. This is with Marcio's
> permission. Stay tuned, I just need to get a page up.
>
> --
> --------------------------------- personal: http://www.armory.com/~spectre/ ---
>   Cameron Kaiser * Floodgap Systems * www.floodgap.com * ckaiser@...
> -- In memory of Douglas Adams

Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: loading extensions in Plua2

Victor Kohnke
David,

I tried your suggestion only to get an error:

E:\PALM\PLua\oplua>..\plua2\pluac\windows\plua2c -lib OPlua oPLa 0.1
OPlua.prc myfile.lua
myfile.lua:184: unexpected symbol near `#'

The error ends up on line one of OPlua.lua.

Help :)

Victor Kohnke wrote:

> David,
>
> I tried your suggestion only to get an error:
>
> E:\PALM\PLua\oplua>..\plua2\pluac\windows\plua2c -lib OPlua oPLa 0.1
> OPlua.prc myfile.lua
> myfile.lua:184: unexpected symbol near `#'
>
> The error ends up on line one of OPlua.lua.
>
> Help :)

If you've got any lines beginning with a '#', then delete them or
comment them out.

Cheers
David