function pointers in Lua

cynthia powers
Hi.
still a Lua newbie..
How do you specify function pointers in lua, and more importantly call them?
This case does not seem to work for me:

A.lua:

function_1 (..., my_function, ..)
..
while (<a function defined in c-world) do
    my_function()
end
..
end

function_1 (.., my_function,..)

thanks
cynthia

Re: function pointers in Lua

Mark Feldman
Works for me, the problem must be elsewhere.

=== start code ===
function my_function()
    print("foo")
end

function function_1(my_function)
    my_function()
end

function_1(my_function)        --> foo
=== end code ===

Mark Feldman

cynthia powers wrote:

> Hi.
> still a Lua newbie..
> How do you specify function pointers in lua, and more importantly call
> them?
> This case does not seem to work for me:
>
> A.lua:
>
> function_1 (..., my_function, ..)
> ..
> while (<a function defined in c-world) do
>     my_function()
> end
> ..
> end
>
> function_1 (.., my_function,..)
>

> thanks
> cynthia

This message and its attachments may contain legally privileged or confidential information. This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the addressee indicated in this message, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you may not copy or deliver this message or its attachments to anyone. Rather, you should permanently delete this message and its attachments and kindly notify the sender by reply e-mail. Any content of this message and its attachments, which does not relate to the official business of the sending company must be taken not to have been sent or endorsed by the sending company or any of its related entities. No warranty is made that the e-mail or attachment(s) are free from computer virus or other defect.

Thanks. But it still does not work for me. I have a c-calling lua-calling c setup. luaL_loadstring returns 3 and luaL_dostring return 1;

Re: function pointers in Lua

Jerome Vuarand
2009/11/24 cynthia powers <[hidden email]>:

> On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 6:15 PM, Mark Feldman
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Works for me, the problem must be elsewhere.
>>
>> === start code ===
>> function my_function()
>>   print("foo")
>> end
>>
>> function function_1(my_function)
>>   my_function()
>> end
>>
>> function_1(my_function)        --> foo
>> === end code ===
>>
>> Mark Feldman
>>
>> cynthia powers wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi.
>>> still a Lua newbie..
>>> How do you specify function pointers in lua, and more importantly call
>>> them?
>>> This case does not seem to work for me:
>>>  A.lua:
>>>  function_1 (..., my_function, ..)
>>> ..
>>> while (<a function defined in c-world) do
>>>    my_function()
>>> end
>>> ..
>>> end
>>>  function_1 (.., my_function,..)
>>>   thanks
>>> cynthia
>>

>> This message and its attachments may contain legally privileged or
>> confidential information. This message is intended for the use of the
>> individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the addressee
>> indicated in this message, or the employee or agent responsible for
>> delivering the message to the intended recipient, you may not copy or
>> deliver this message or its attachments to anyone. Rather, you should
>> permanently delete this message and its attachments and kindly notify the
>> sender by reply e-mail. Any content of this message and its attachments,
>> which does not relate to the official business of the sending company must
>> be taken not to have been sent or endorsed by the sending company or any of
>> its related entities. No warranty is made that the e-mail or attachment(s)
>> are free from computer virus or other defect.
>>

> Hi Mark,
>
> Thanks. But it still does not work for me. I have a c-calling lua-calling c
> setup. luaL_loadstring returns 3 and luaL_dostring return 1;

You should have read the manual. This would have told you that if
luaL_loadstring or luaL_dostring return a non-null integer, there is a
message describing the problem on the stack. You can access that
message with lua_tostring(L, -1). The message describes the actual
problem. If you're going to ask for further help, at least quote that
message in your email, along with the real script.

Re: Lua-tutor list? was function pointers in Lua

Patrick Mc(avery
The level of experience is very high on this list. I am just wondering
how welcome newbie questions are? When I was into Python, python-tutor
was a really helpful list. Just 2 or 3 guys made a really big difference
answering newbie questions-Patrick

Jerome Vuarand wrote:

> 2009/11/24 cynthia powers <[hidden email]>:
>
>> On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 6:15 PM, Mark Feldman
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Works for me, the problem must be elsewhere.
>>>
>>> === start code ===
>>> function my_function()
>>>   print("foo")
>>> end
>>>
>>> function function_1(my_function)
>>>   my_function()
>>> end
>>>
>>> function_1(my_function)        --> foo
>>> === end code ===
>>>
>>> Mark Feldman

>>> This message and its attachments may contain legally privileged or
>>> confidential information. This message is intended for the use of the
>>> individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the addressee
>>> indicated in this message, or the employee or agent responsible for
>>> delivering the message to the intended recipient, you may not copy or
>>> deliver this message or its attachments to anyone. Rather, you should
>>> permanently delete this message and its attachments and kindly notify the
>>> sender by reply e-mail. Any content of this message and its attachments,
>>> which does not relate to the official business of the sending company must
>>> be taken not to have been sent or endorsed by the sending company or any of
>>> its related entities. No warranty is made that the e-mail or attachment(s)
>>> are free from computer virus or other defect.
>>>

>> Hi Mark,
>>
>> Thanks. But it still does not work for me. I have a c-calling lua-calling c
>> setup. luaL_loadstring returns 3 and luaL_dostring return 1;
>>

> You should have read the manual. This would have told you that if
> luaL_loadstring or luaL_dostring return a non-null integer, there is a
> message describing the problem on the stack. You can access that
> message with lua_tostring(L, -1). The message describes the actual
> problem. If you're going to ask for further help, at least quote that
> message in your email, along with the real script.

Re: Lua-tutor list? was function pointers in Lua

Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
> The level of experience is very high on this list. I am just wondering
> how welcome newbie questions are?

Everyone is welcome. Ask away.

Re: Lua-tutor list? was function pointers in Lua

steve donovan
On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 3:45 PM, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Everyone is welcome. Ask away.

Maybe sometimes we are ruder than necessary. RTFM is not a encouraging reply.

Re: Lua-tutor list? was function pointers in Lua

Peter Odding-3
steve donovan wrote:
> Maybe sometimes we are ruder than necessary. RTFM is not a encouraging
> reply.

On the other hand there are people who don't bother searching for
answers and instead ask the list without doing their own research. The
problem is differentiating the two groups of people so that thoughtful
questions receive a useful answer without solving someone's homework for
them :-). Of course there are plenty of ways to show that you've
researched your problem before asking lua-l, but I'd be preaching to the
choir by listing them here...

 - Peter Odding

Re: Lua-tutor list? was function pointers in Lua

spir
Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The level of experience is very high on this list. I am just wondering
> how welcome newbie questions are? When I was into Python, python-tutor
> was a really helpful list. Just 2 or 3 guys made a really big difference
> answering newbie questions-Patrick

I agree that the list's content is highly impressive for newcomers -- and there is no other place to go. Would support the creation of a newcomer-oriented list if this is what Patrick has in mind. The fact that everybody's welcome is not a replacement for a real "learning space".

Denis

PS: This would also reduce the traffic and help sorting out messages.
PPS: In addition to lua-newbies & lua-experts, there is even space for a kind of "meta-lua" list where topics about lua itself can be discussed (design, ratonale, evolution, future, variants... which presently take place here, too). It's not an issue to subscribe to 2 lists if wished, I guess (and even helps automatically dispatching incoming post into appropriate folders).
________________________________

la vita e estrany

http://spir.wikidot.com/

Re: Lua-tutor list? was function pointers in Lua

Thomas Lauer-3
steve donovan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 3:45 PM, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Everyone is welcome. Ask away.
>
> Maybe sometimes we are ruder than necessary. RTFM is not a encouraging reply.

Not so fast. A complete noob to programming who has not the slightest
idea where even to begin reading this fearfully long and complex manual
is one thing. We all start(ed) as noobs (I read a book about 6502
assembly language five times, before I had a glimmer of an idea of what
the heck this guy was talking about.)

But the lazy git who just can't be bothered to search the web, the
manuals or even his/her own brain... well, that's another matter
altogether. In this case rudeness can be necessary... as a survival
tactic.

I agree that there's a fine line between the two and sometimes the list
errs on the side of helping out nevertheless, sometimes on the side of
rudeness. There's no perfect answer to this question but replies that
add heat without light should probably not have been posted in the first
place.

--
cheers  thomasl

web: http://thomaslauer.com/start

My apologies if you found my answer too rude. Newbie questions are
welcome. Next time I'll let more diplomatic people answer.

Re: Lua-tutor list? was function pointers in Lua

cynthia powers
Thanks for all the rude replies. Is there another lua user-group email where one can ask a newbie question without being insulted as a lazy git?

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 9:52 AM, Thomas Lauer <[hidden email]> wrote:
steve donovan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 3:45 PM, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Everyone is welcome. Ask away.
>
> Maybe sometimes we are ruder than necessary. RTFM is not a encouraging reply.

Not so fast. A complete noob to programming who has not the slightest
idea where even to begin reading this fearfully long and complex manual
is one thing. We all start(ed) as noobs (I read a book about 6502
assembly language five times, before I had a glimmer of an idea of what
the heck this guy was talking about.)

But the lazy git who just can't be bothered to search the web, the
manuals or even his/her own brain... well, that's another matter
altogether. In this case rudeness can be necessary... as a survival
tactic.

I agree that there's a fine line between the two and sometimes the list
errs on the side of helping out nevertheless, sometimes on the side of
rudeness. There's no perfect answer to this question but replies that
add heat without light should probably not have been posted in the first
place.

--
cheers  thomasl

web: http://thomaslauer.com/start

Re: Lua-tutor list? was function pointers in Lua

Florian Weimer
* cynthia powers:

> Thanks for all the rude replies. Is there another lua user-group
> email where one can ask a newbie question without being insulted as
> a lazy git?

I think you should just post more details about your problem.  It is
best to have short but complete and concrete example that exhibits the
problem.  I understand that this is difficult to achieve when you're
mixing C and Lua code, but you should try nevertheless.

That being said, your problem is likely unrelated to function
pointers.

-----not sure if this will end up a double post, the first one did not
post after 4 hours-----

Jerome Vuarand wrote:

> 2009/11/24 cynthia powers <[hidden email]>:
>
>> On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 6:15 PM, Mark Feldman
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Works for me, the problem must be elsewhere.
>>>
>>> === start code ===
>>> function my_function()
>>>   print("foo")
>>> end
>>>
>>> function function_1(my_function)
>>>   my_function()
>>> end
>>>
>>> function_1(my_function)        --> foo
>>> === end code ===
>>>
>>> Mark Feldman

>>> This message and its attachments may contain legally privileged or
>>> confidential information. This message is intended for the use of the
>>> individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the
>>> addressee
>>> indicated in this message, or the employee or agent responsible for
>>> delivering the message to the intended recipient, you may not copy or
>>> deliver this message or its attachments to anyone. Rather, you should
>>> permanently delete this message and its attachments and kindly
>>> notify the
>>> sender by reply e-mail. Any content of this message and its
>>> attachments,
>>> which does not relate to the official business of the sending
>>> company must
>>> be taken not to have been sent or endorsed by the sending company or
>>> any of
>>> its related entities. No warranty is made that the e-mail or
>>> attachment(s)
>>> are free from computer virus or other defect.
>>>

>> Hi Mark,
>>
>> Thanks. But it still does not work for me. I have a c-calling
>> lua-calling c
>> setup. luaL_loadstring returns 3 and luaL_dostring return 1;
>>

> You should have read the manual. This would have told you that if
> luaL_loadstring or luaL_dostring return a non-null integer, there is a
> message describing the problem on the stack. You can access that
> message with lua_tostring(L, -1). The message describes the actual
> problem. If you're going to ask for further help, at least quote that
> message in your email, along with the real script.

Re: Lua-tutor list? was function pointers in Lua

KHMan
Patrick wrote:
> -----not sure if this will end up a double post, the first one did not
> post after 4 hours-----
>
> The level of experience is very high on this list. I am just wondering
> how welcome newbie questions are? When I was into Python, python-tutor
> was a really helpful list. Just 2 or 3 guys made a really big difference
> answering newbie questions-Patrick

Oh, this is a list with a lot of very nice people. :-) Here it is
like Disneyland compared to some other dev lists. Ask away...

However. If you are new at developers' mailing lists or forums,
you need to ask questions smartly, so read the FAQs on that. Now,
for example, if you are a high-school student and only know say,
basic C, tell the list what your level of skill is before
describing your question. Disarm those brandishing weapons, so to
speak, by choosing the appropriate stance...

But of course, on the Internet it pays to have a thick skin.

I also think that if you stand firm with polite behaviour, it is
possible to psyche the boorish ones to tone things down on the
more aggressive lists. People can respond unconsciously to
"leadership behaviour", it's proven in psychiatry. We can either
join the mob or rise above the mob.

Kein-Hong Man (esq.)
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Re: Lua-tutor list? was function pointers in Lua

David Given

Thomas Lauer wrote:
[...]
> But the lazy git who just can't be bothered to search the web, the
> manuals or even his/her own brain... well, that's another matter
> altogether. In this case rudeness can be necessary... as a survival
> tactic.

I absolutely disagree with this.

This mailing list is about communication. Communication is, crudely put,
about maximising signal and minimising noise. The social rituals we call
'politeness' are all about providing formalised frameworks for this
communication to occur efficiently; by saying 'please' what you're doing
is indicating a willingness to participate in the communication process.

Being rude is the precise opposite --- it's going out of our way to
*minimise* signal and *maximise* noise. Worse, it's deliberately trying
to alienate the other person. Thus, it's negative communication.

It's just as easy to say 'This is documented in the excellent manual,
see <link>; let us know if you have any problems with it,' than it is to
say 'RTFM, you [omitted] noob'...

> There's no perfect answer to this question but replies that
> add heat without light should probably not have been posted in the
> first place.

Definitely. I know I'm guilty of this myself, and I sometimes wonder
whether I should enforce an hour's delay in my emailer just to make me
reconsider whether I should send some messages.

When we receive a question on the mailing list, there's no context; we
don't know who the other person is, their background, their level of
skill, what language they're speaking, etc. It's entirely possible that
they don't know that they *can* search the web, or that they're having
trouble understanding something which to us seems utterly self-evident.

As such, I think it's important that simple questions go here, rather
than being pushed off to some ghetto mailing list; it's important for
those of us with experience in programming to go through the exercise in
thinking things through at a more basic level. Insight can frequently
result from this! And, more embarrassingly, I have several times, here,
 answered some question only to be corrected by someone else because I'd
been misunderstanding some utterly basic topic...

I have had several people tell me that they find the level of civility
and lack of flameage on the Lua list remarkable. As a frequent poster
here, that's a lot of responsibility to live up to.

- --
┌─── dg@cowlark.com ───── http://www.cowlark.com ─────

│ "Under communism, man exploits man. Under capitalism, it's just the
│ opposite." --- John Kenneth Galbrith

Yes, and let's keep it that way!

David Given <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thomas Lauer wrote:
> [...]
> > But the lazy git who just can't be bothered to search the web, the
> > manuals or even his/her own brain... well, that's another matter
> > altogether. In this case rudeness can be necessary... as a survival
> > tactic.
>
> I absolutely disagree with this.
>
> This mailing list is about communication. Communication is, crudely put,
> about maximising signal and minimising noise. The social rituals we call
> 'politeness' are all about providing formalised frameworks for this
> communication to occur efficiently; by saying 'please' what you're doing
> is indicating a willingness to participate in the communication process.
>
> Being rude is the precise opposite --- it's going out of our way to
> *minimise* signal and *maximise* noise. Worse, it's deliberately trying
> to alienate the other person. Thus, it's negative communication.
>
> It's just as easy to say 'This is documented in the excellent manual,
> see <link>; let us know if you have any problems with it,' than it is to
> say 'RTFM, you [omitted] noob'...

Unfortunately, you snipped my quote of steve d.'s original message. I
did use the words "rudeness" and "necessary" precisely because he used
them in his post. Steve is a quite "civilised" poster and I understood
his meaning of rudeness not to be the fist-in-your-face sort of
rudeness, more the curtness of "RTFM". Maybe I was wrong.

And maybe our definition of rudeness is not the same: I try to be quiet
when I have an urge to be rude.

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 11:25 AM, Thomas Lauer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> his meaning of rudeness not to be the fist-in-your-face sort of
> rudeness, more the curtness of "RTFM". Maybe I was wrong.

Rudeness is only necessary when faced with rudeness, i.e. fighting
noise with noise, as David would put it. Really only if one has a
really difficult customer, who's looking for a fight or wants someone
to do their homework. And even then, "don't feed the trolls" applies.

Cynthia was not being rude, just asked a question: mixing Lua and C
when you're starting off is definitely starting at the deep end of the
pool and this requires due consideration.  It's often just a matter of
being a little careful with phrasing.

Re: Lua-tutor list? was function pointers in Lua

David Kastrup
steve donovan <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 11:25 AM, Thomas Lauer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> his meaning of rudeness not to be the fist-in-your-face sort of
>> rudeness, more the curtness of "RTFM". Maybe I was wrong.
>
> Rudeness is only necessary when faced with rudeness, i.e. fighting
> noise with noise, as David would put it. Really only if one has a
> really difficult customer, who's looking for a fight or wants someone
> to do their homework. And even then, "don't feed the trolls" applies.
>
> Cynthia was not being rude, just asked a question: mixing Lua and C
> when you're starting off is definitely starting at the deep end of the
> pool and this requires due consideration.

Sometimes the task you have to do is in the deep end of the pool, to a
degree where you can't sensibly start with parts at the shallow end,
because you need to establish a framework for your task first.

It is entirely appropriate to say: "prepare for rough going, and the
following chapters in the following books will prove invaluable, so you
will make much better use of the energy and goodwill of the people on
this list and your time by using those chapters as your first resource
and the list as fallback".

"Prepare for rough going" is different from "do something else" or
"RTFM".

Fortunately for the list and new users, the canonical Lua books _are_
rather excellent.  That sort of startup advice is not as easy to give
with many other systems.

--
David Kastrup

12