finally ask for lua and sdl question

云帆江
thanks for all helps and sorry for boring you
so many method showed
but the problem is i am not a c coder and i dont know how to compile the program
what i learn is some language like perl php python and lua
all that are scrite language ,so what i need is a binary file
not source.
so who can help for this

Re: finally ask for lua and sdl question

Asko Kauppi

There used to be a solution called LuaX that might fit the bill. Windows installer, supports SDL scripting.

I am the author, but the solution is no longer maintained. You might try your luck with it, though:

http://luaforge.net/frs/?group_id=21

I'd try the v.0.70 setup.exe

äåæ kirjoitti 14.8.2008 kello 9:51:

thanks for all helps and sorry for boring you
so many method showed
but the problem is i am not a c coder and i dont know how to compile the program
what i learn is some language like perl php python and lua
all that are scrite language ,so what i need is a binary file
not source.
so who can help for this

Re: finally ask for lua and sdl question

KHMan
äåæ wrote:
thanks for all helps and sorry for boring you
so many method showed
but the problem is i am not a c coder and i dont know how to compile the program
what i learn is some language like perl php python and lua
all that are scrite language ,so what i need is a binary file
not source.
so who can help for this

I believe you mentioned in your second e-mail to the list that you want to write games.

Since you don't compile anything now, you need to find a project that: (1) provides game scripting capabilities, and (2) is maintained, alive, and has a community.

A basic Lua distribution does not have the functions you need for game programming. But there are some projects around that are tailored towards fast game development, where you can write the entire game in Lua. Some may not be SDL, but I suggest that for now, just get something that works and that you can easily use.

So, find something like Apocalyx. I've seen samples before; pretty much everything can be done using Lua scripting running on prebuilt executables -- no compilation necessary. There are probably other projects like Apocalyx. Go look for them. We can't give specific suggestions since we don't even know what operating system you are using.

So, your task now is to look for game engine projects that uses scripting (do check out PyGame too), then download and try them out. Choose the one that matches what you want to do and can start using easily.

HTH,
Kein-Hong Man (esq.)
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Re: finally ask for lua and sdl question

Andreas Krinke
äåæ wrote:
thanks for all helps and sorry for boring you
so many method showed
but the problem is i am not a c coder and i dont know how to compile the program
what i learn is some language like perl php python and lua
all that are scrite language ,so what i need is a binary file
not source.
so who can help for this

If you want a 2D engine, you may also try

	Scrupp	http://scrupp.sourceforge.net

(I am the author. Sorry, no community yet, but it's available for Windows and Linux and soon for Mac OS X, too)

or
	LÃve	http://love.sourceforge.net

LÃve is under active development and has an active community.

Regards,

Andreas

Andreas Krinke wrote:
äåæ wrote:
thanks for all helps and sorry for boring you
so many method showed
but the problem is i am not a c coder and i dont know how to compile the program
what i learn is some language like perl php python and lua
all that are scrite language ,so what i need is a binary file
not source.
so who can help for this

If you want a 2D engine, you may also try

    Scrupp    http://scrupp.sourceforge.net

(I am the author. Sorry, no community yet, but it's available for Windows and Linux and soon for Mac OS X, too)

or
    LÃve    http://love.sourceforge.net

LÃve is under active development and has an active community.

LÃvely :-) That's why LuaSDL should not duplicate all of this.

I see the latter in the LuaAddons wiki page, but there doesn't seem to be any wiki page where the community put up a list of Lua game engines... It would be nice to have a wiki page to point people to.

Once we wanted to move the comprehensive Lua uses list to the wiki; anyone done anything on that?

Kein-Hong Man (esq.)
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Re: finally ask for lua and sdl question

Kenneth LO
LuaX no longer maintained?  I tried it some time ago (probably year
2006).  It definitely is good software with many powerful packages
linked in.  At that time my interest was a tiny (<500k) cross platform
GUI + Lua solution.  But it turns out that doing GUI on SDL is not
that sort of thing I imagined.

Back to murgaLua.  It's tiny but it's not fltk2.  And fltk2 looks like
progressing very slowly (e.g. fl_table).  For GUI bindings, tcltk is
probably more powerful especially they now have native OS support.

On game scripting engines, how about luaplayer on PSP?

Re: finally ask for lua and sdl question

Asko Kauppi

I'll be coming back to the dream / concept of LuaX later, but from another angle. This time, everything's working with regular Lua 5.1 package model. And it won't be called LuaX. And it will use Cairo for vector graphics.

-asko

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 09:48:11 +0800
 "Kenneth LO" <[hidden email]> wrote:
LuaX no longer maintained? I tried it some time ago (probably year 2006). It definitely is good software with many powerful packages linked in. At that time my interest was a tiny (<500k) cross platform GUI + Lua solution. But it turns out that doing GUI on SDL is not
that sort of thing I imagined.

Back to murgaLua. It's tiny but it's not fltk2. And fltk2 looks like progressing very slowly (e.g. fl_table). For GUI bindings, tcltk is probably more powerful especially they now have native OS support.

On game scripting engines, how about luaplayer on PSP?

Re: finally ask for lua and sdl question

Francisco Sant'anna-2
I would love to see a raw and simple graphics API for Lua.
Support for layers, fonts, alpha and event handling, that's it.
No need for animations, gui widgets, etc.

Cairo is great, but support for keyboard and mouse would be needed as well.
Also, its Lua binding misses X11 support.

I liked the Scrupp simple API (but no support for layers).

--
Francisco

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 1:21 AM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'll be coming back to the dream / concept of LuaX later, but from another
> angle. This time, everything's working with regular Lua 5.1 package model.
> And it won't be called LuaX. And it will use Cairo for vector graphics.
>
> -asko
>
> On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 09:48:11 +0800
>  "Kenneth LO" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> LuaX no longer maintained?  I tried it some time ago (probably year
>> 2006).  It definitely is good software with many powerful packages
>> linked in.  At that time my interest was a tiny (<500k) cross platform
>> GUI + Lua solution.  But it turns out that doing GUI on SDL is not
>> that sort of thing I imagined.
>>
>> Back to murgaLua.  It's tiny but it's not fltk2.  And fltk2 looks like
>> progressing very slowly (e.g. fl_table).  For GUI bindings, tcltk is
>> probably more powerful especially they now have native OS support.
>>
>> On game scripting engines, how about luaplayer on PSP?

Re: finally ask for lua and sdl question

Wesley Smith
On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 5:51 PM, Francisco Sant'anna
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I would love to see a raw and simple graphics API for Lua.
> Support for layers, fonts, alpha and event handling, that's it.
> No need for animations, gui widgets, etc.

By simple graphics API, are you talking about a software renderer like
Cairo or anything graphics oriented like OpenGL for instance?

wes

Re: finally ask for lua and sdl question

Francisco Sant'anna-2
I just want to draw 2D text, shapes and images on screen with some
support for layers and alpha.

As both Cairo and OpenGL can do this, it doesn't matter.
I'm not sure about the fundamental differences between them.

Also I need feedback from mouse, keyboard and time, that's it.

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 10:06 PM, Wesley Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 5:51 PM, Francisco Sant'anna
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I would love to see a raw and simple graphics API for Lua.
>> Support for layers, fonts, alpha and event handling, that's it.
>> No need for animations, gui widgets, etc.
>
> By simple graphics API, are you talking about a software renderer like
> Cairo or anything graphics oriented like OpenGL for instance?
>
> wes

Re: finally ask for lua and sdl question

Wesley Smith
> I just want to draw 2D text, shapes and images on screen with some
> support for layers and alpha.
>
> As both Cairo and OpenGL can do this, it doesn't matter.
> I'm not sure about the fundamental differences between them.
>
> Also I need feedback from mouse, keyboard and time, that's it.

The difference is that OpenGL is typically hardware accelerated.  Most
graphics libs don't come with mouse and keyboard support so you'll
probably need a separate module for that.  I would first figure out
what's the most appropriate graphics API for your needs and go from
there.  There are a few different GLUT bindings out there, which would
give you text, windowing, mouse, and keyboard support.  Combine that
with some OpenGL bindings and you should be set.

wes

CairoPad (Re: finally ask for lua and sdl question)

Asko Kauppi

The keyboard + mouse support is indeed lacking in Cairo, but is part of the CairoPad plan I've had.

Most likely, it will be a stand-alone executable linking to liblua, since many GUI's will need special care that a Lua module might find difficult (not impossible) to offer.

I've done this once, with LuaX and SDL. Now it's a matter of doing it with plain Lua 5.1 and Cairo. Should be ready by Christmas.

-asko

Francisco Sant'anna wrote:
> I would love to see a raw and simple graphics API for Lua.
> Support for layers, fonts, alpha and event handling, that's it.
> No need for animations, gui widgets, etc.
>
> Cairo is great, but support for keyboard and mouse would be needed as well.
> Also, its Lua binding misses X11 support.
>
> I liked the Scrupp simple API (but no support for layers).

Scrupp tries to go the Lua way. It has a very small (~1600 LOC) core
written in C. This core should provide everything needed to implement
all the other stuff (animations, layers, ...).

Regards,
Andreas