dynasm vreg support

Carlo Kok
I read about vreg support via Rq/Rd etc, but those are x86_64/x86 only. Is there something comparable for arm & arm64?

Carlo Kok

Re: dynasm vreg support

Philippe Verdy
ARM and ARM64 have vector instructions too (but not in all vendor chips, because it is an optional spec). I bet however that most smartphones and tablets used today with Android have this support in their chipset, except possibly some very cheap devices). Many device drivers and graphics or audio/video libraries or 3D rendering, and decent support of recent version of HTML5/CSS3, or correct preprocessing of photographs, or many security algorithms (like hashing) would benefit a lot from vector instructions (which also help avoiding many small loops in code and avoids the code to unwind a part of these loops, creating larger code in memory and forcing also the CPU tu run at higher frequency for longer time, and would then use more energy from the battery to get a decent response time).

Carlo Kok

Re: dynasm vreg support

Jim-2
29.06.2019, 20:11, "Philippe Verdy" <[hidden email]>:
> and decent support of recent version of HTML5/CSS3

this is a requirement for any device one wants to use to
decipher your html(5 !!!!) encrypted mails packed with tons
of inline CSS(3 !!!). :-/

Re: dynasm vreg support

Philippe Verdy
Le sam. 29 juin 2019 à 20:36, Jim <[hidden email]> a écrit :
> 29.06.2019, 20:11, "Philippe Verdy" <[hidden email]>:
> > and decent support of recent version of HTML5/CSS3
> this is a requirement for any device one wants to use to
> decipher your html(5 !!!!) encrypted mails packed with tons
> of inline CSS(3 !!!). :-/

I never compose any HTML in Emails. and I need HTML frequently in emails for internationalization reasons, as plain-text is not sufficient, or because there's a need to annotate, emphasize, underline). Plain text gives too often ambiguous results (and does not support at all some languages).

Gmail does it alone (it decides when it gives significant differences). But it also sends a plain-text version (that you don't need to "decipher" if your mail agent is compliant).

Re: dynasm vreg support

Dirk Laurie-2
Op Sa. 29 Jun. 2019 om 21:13 het Philippe Verdy <[hidden email]> geskryf:

> Plain text gives too often ambiguous results (and does not support at all some languages).

If you have a Unicode-compliant font, plain text supports all languages.

Re: dynasm vreg support

Philippe Verdy
The support is partial. Note everything is encoded using plain text...