does anyone know of a lua 2D game focused tutorial

does anyone know of a lua 2D game focused tutorial

kingsley young
Hello I'm looking for a tutorial aim at 2D game development for beginners in Lua if you know of any or find any please reply back or email me  thank you.

Re: does anyone know of a lua 2D game focused tutorial

startx
On Mon, 7 Nov 2011 09:52:05 -0800
kingsley young <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello I'm looking for a tutorial aim at 2D game development for
> beginners in Lua if you know of any or find any please reply back or
> email me  thank you.

http://love2d.org/

http://love2d.org/wiki/Category:Tutorials

startx

Re: does anyone know of a lua 2D game focused tutorial

tokyodan
Check out the examples on the Ansca Corona forums. But it uses commands or code in the Corona framework.

Of if you have an iPad, get Codify (now called Codea) and you can creat Lua games on your iPad. If you don't have an iPad, Codea is a good reason to buy one.

Re: does anyone know of a lua 2D game focused tutorial

Elias Hogstvedt
google love2d

Hello I'm looking for a tutorial aim at 2D game development for beginners in Lua if you know of any or find any please reply back or email me  thank you.

> Hello I'm lo...

Re: does anyone know of a lua 2D game focused tutorial

Emmanuel Oga
On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 12:04 PM, kingsley young
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Yes I know of love2d but the wiki is how to make a game in love like( tables
> and functions ) not how to make a game I need the fundamentals the building
> blocks. The tutorials from start to end that's what I'm looking for

The fundamental building block for making a game with lua is the lua
language. I suggest you read the pil [1] first, then follow the love2d
game tutorials. Also, there are pages like ammit's [2] which are full
of game related algorithms. You should be able to implement them on
lua if you have a good enough knowledge of the language.

1: http://www.lua.org/pil/
2: http://www-cs-students.stanford.edu/~amitp/gameprog.html

EmmanuelOga.com - Software Developer

2011/11/10 kingsley young <[hidden email]>:
> Yes I know of love2d but the wiki is how to make a game in love like( tables
> and functions ) not how to make a game I need the fundamentals the building
> blocks. The tutorials from start to end that's what I'm looking for

A minimal Löve game has one file called "main.lua".

Basic structure of what happens in a Löve game:

1. Do some initialization
2. Keep drawing things on the screen
3. Stop

This basic structure is interrupted all the time by the ticking of the
clock and by what the player is doing: moving the mouse, pressing and
releasing mouse buttons and keys on the keyboard.  Whenever that
happens, your program gets an opportunity to change something.
That gives nine routines that just about every game must have,
described in the "callbacks" part of the tutorial.

It's the only must-read part of the tutorial.

Once you've got that far, stop reading the tutorials. Just experiment
with what you put inside those nine routines.  You can get quite far
doing that.  When you get to thinking of an effect you would like to
put in (sounds etc) go look for that effect.  Chances are Löve has it.

To get you started, I've appended an extremely simple "game" that has
a ticking clock, displays mouse press and release coordinates and
changes colors on keyboard press and release.  Note the basic
principle: the other routines do all the calculations, the draw
routine just draws.

To run this game, unzip it and copy the font file comicbd.ttf (in
the unlikely event that it's not on your computer, google for it
and download it) to the same directory.  Now call Löve giving it
the name of that directory.  Or you can re-zip the two files and
give Löve the zipfile.

Dirk

demo.zip (918 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: does anyone know of a lua 2D game focused tutorial

Peter Sommerfeld-2
Am 10.11.2011, 16:04 Uhr, schrieb kingsley young
<[hidden email]>:
> Yes I know of love2d but the wiki is how to make a game in love like(
> tables and functions ) not how to make a game I need the fundamentals the
> building blocks. The tutorials from start to end that's what I'm looking
> for

In "Lua programming gems" is a section about basics of game programming.

Peter