can luasnmp be used to write an agent?

Sam Roberts-2
I don't know enough about snmp to see from the docs whether luasnmp is
the right tool for me.  I would like to publish snmp information from an
app written in lua, I think this means being an "agent".

Can I do this with luasnmp, http://luasnmp.luaforge.net/, or is it
just for writing managers that interact with existing agents?

Thanks
Sam

Re: can luasnmp be used to write an agent?

Herbert Leuwer
LuaSNMP is a binding to the net-snmp client library and does not provide
any functionality to program an agent.

A good idea though - I'm also thinking about this.

Herbert

Sam Roberts schrieb:
I don't know enough about snmp to see from the docs whether luasnmp is
the right tool for me.  I would like to publish snmp information from an
app written in lua, I think this means being an "agent".

Can I do this with luasnmp, http://luasnmp.luaforge.net/, or is it
just for writing managers that interact with existing agents?

Thanks
Sam

RE: can luasnmp be used to write an agent?

Richard Ranft
Hm, can any of this be tied in with the host scripting system?  I have no
idea, just throwing that out there....

Rich

Joseph Stewart
I have a prototype ber1 decoder written in lua (sans netsnmp). Currently, it just take a string with a binary packet in it and prints the decoded data to the screen.

Anyone want to work with me turning this into a fuller snmp implementation?

-joe

On May 13, 2007, at 3:01 PM, Richard Ranft wrote:

Hm, can any of this be tied in with the host scripting system? I have no
idea, just throwing that out there....

Rich

Re: can luasnmp be used to write an agent?

Joseph Stewart
Oh, here's a sample output from my simple decoder serving as an "snmp tunnel":

---- (in) 127.0.0.1 len:45
30 2b 02 01 01 04 06 70 75 62 6c 69 63 a1 1e 02 : 0+.....public...
04 58 72 b2 17 02 01 00 02 01 00 30 10 30 0e 06 : .Xr........0.0..
0a 2b 06 01 02 01 19 04 02 01 02 05 00          : .+...........
SEQUENCE [0]
  INTEGER 1
  OCTET-STRING "public"
  PDU-GetNextRequest [1]
    INTEGER 1483911703
    INTEGER 0
    INTEGER 0
    SEQUENCE [2]
      SEQUENCE [3]
        OID .1.3.6.1.2.1.25.4.2.1.2
        NULL
---- (out) 57
30 37 02 01 01 04 06 70 75 62 6c 69 63 a2 2a 02 : 07.....public.*.
04 58 72 b2 17 02 01 00 02 01 00 30 1c 30 1a 06 : .Xr........0.0..
0b 2b 06 01 02 01 19 04 02 01 02 00 04 0b 6b 65 : .+............ke
72 6e 65 6c 5f 74 61 73 6b                      : rnel_task
SEQUENCE [0]
  INTEGER 1
  OCTET-STRING "public"
  PDU-GetResponse [1]
    INTEGER 1483911703
    INTEGER 0
    INTEGER 0
    SEQUENCE [2]
      SEQUENCE [3]
        OID .1.3.6.1.2.1.25.4.2.1.2.0
        OCTET-STRING "kernel_task"

-joe

On May 13, 2007, at 3:01 PM, Richard Ranft wrote:

Hm, can any of this be tied in with the host scripting system?  I have no
idea, just throwing that out there....

Rich

[[hidden email]]On Behalf Of Herbert Leuwer

On Sat, May 12, 2007 at 11:08:44PM +0200, Herbert Leuwer wrote:
> LuaSNMP is a binding to the net-snmp client library and does not provide
> any functionality to program an agent.
>
> A good idea though - I'm also thinking about this.

I guess binding the APIs used in this tutorial would be a starting
point?

  http://net-snmp.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/TUT:Writing_a_Subagent

Cheers,

On Sun, May 13, 2007 at 04:43:05PM -0400, joseph stewart wrote:
> Oh, here's a sample output from my simple decoder serving as an "snmp
> tunnel":

Is the decoder available somewhere, maybe small enough for email?

Sam