blue PiL

Roberto Ierusalimschy
The (real) Programming in Lua, Second Edition is finally available:

  http://www.inf.puc-rio.br/~roberto/pil2/

Re: blue PiL

Matt Campbell-2
Cool!  Do you plan to also make that available at http://lua.org/pil/
for those of us who have that URL programmed into our fingers? :)  Thanks.

--
Matt Campbell
Lead Programmer
"The Accessibility Anywhere People"

Re: blue PiL

Matt Campbell-2
Oops, I just realized the book isn't available online.  I'd actually be
willing to pay for an electronic version in PDF or better yet, HTML;
it's actually more convenient for me than the print version.

--
Matt Campbell
Lead Programmer
Serotek Corporation
www.freedombox.info
"The Accessibility Anywhere People"

Re: blue PiL

Petite Abeille

On Mar 23, 2006, at 19:57, Roberto Ierusalimschy wrote:

> The (real) Programming in Lua, Second Edition is finally available:
>
>   http://www.inf.puc-rio.br/~roberto/pil2/

Hurray to that! I have passed my command already :)

Cheers

--
PA, Onnay Equitursay
http://alt.textdrive.com/

Re: blue PiL

> Oops, I just realized the book isn't available online.

I will make it available online, but not immediately.

Re: blue PiL

Terry Bayne-2
Is this really available via Amazon?  If so I am ordering today!

Thanks
Terry

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 15:57:29 -0300, Roberto Ierusalimschy wrote:
>> The (real) Programming in Lua, Second Edition is finally available:
>>
>> http://www.inf.puc-rio.br/~roberto/pil2/
>>
>> -- Roberto

Re: blue PiL

Roberto Ierusalimschy
> Is this really available via Amazon?  If so I am ordering today!

Well, they say so :)

  List Price: $39.95
  Price: $25.17 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping.
  You Save: $14.78 (37%)
  Availability: Usually ships within 24 hours.

  http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect?link_code=as2&path=ASIN/8590379825&tag=theprogrammil-20&camp=1789&creative=9325

Re: blue PiL

Jim Whitehead II
Mine ships on the 4th =).  Thanks for the update!

> Is this really available via Amazon?  If so I am ordering today!

Re: blue PiL

Steven Elkins
On 3/23/06, Roberto Ierusalimschy <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Is this really available via Amazon?  If so I am ordering today!

Well, they say so :)

They took my order.  Thank you very much.

--
How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment
before starting to improve the world.       -- Anne Frank
Paradise is exactly where you are
right now...only much, much better.    -- Laurie Anderson

Re: blue PiL

Valentin Batz
Mine is shipping 5th to 10th April, thanks for your update!

Roberto Ierusalimschy wrote:
> The (real) Programming in Lua, Second Edition is finally available:
>
>   http://www.inf.puc-rio.br/~roberto/pil2/
>
> -- Roberto

Re: blue PiL

Stephen Kellett
Hi Roberto,

>The (real) Programming in Lua, Second Edition is finally available:

Maybe I've missed this, but you could provide an outline of what the
differences between 1st and 2nd are? I already have the first and I'd
like to know what I'm missing out on.

Stephen
--
Stephen Kellett
Object Media Limited    http://www.objmedia.demon.co.uk/software.html

Re: blue PiL

D Burgess-4
I have bought mine.

I encourage all readers of this list (or the companies they work
for)  to purchase at least one copy!

Many thanks Roberto.

Roberto wrote:
> The (real) Programming in Lua, Second Edition is finally available:
>
>   http://www.inf.puc-rio.br/~roberto/pil2/
>
> -- Roberto

Re: blue PiL

Anders Bergh-2
I have bought mine too... now I'm just waiting for it to arrive :)

On 3/24/06, D Burgess <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have bought mine.
>
> I encourage all readers of this list (or the companies they work
> for)  to purchase at least one copy!
>
> Many thanks Roberto.
>
> Roberto wrote:
> > The (real) Programming in Lua, Second Edition is finally available:
> >
> >   http://www.inf.puc-rio.br/~roberto/pil2/
> >
> > -- Roberto

Re: blue PiL

Andreas Stenius-2
Roberto Ierusalimschy skrev:
> The (real) Programming in Lua, Second Edition is finally available:
>
>   http://www.inf.puc-rio.br/~roberto/pil2/
>
> -- Roberto

Most excellent!

Our copy has been ordered. Thanks.

//Andreas

Re: blue PiL

> Hi Roberto,
>
> Maybe I've missed this, but you could provide an outline of what the
> differences between 1st and 2nd are? I already have the first and I'd
> like to know what I'm missing out on.
>

>From the back cover:

| This Second Edition updates the text to Lua 5.1 and brings substantial
| new material, including numerous new examples, a detailed explanation of
| the new module system, and two new chapters centered on multiple states
| and garbage collection.

(Plus, of course, the new blue cover :)

RE: blue PiL

King, Mike
Roberto Ierusalimschy said:
>> Is this really available via Amazon?  If so I am ordering today!
>
>Well, they say so :)
>
>  List Price: $39.95
>  Price: $25.17 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver
Shipping.
>  You Save: $14.78 (37%)
>  Availability: Usually ships within 24 hours.
>

>http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect?link_code=as2&path=ASIN/8590
3798>25&tag=theprogrammil-20&camp=1789&creative=9325

>-- Roberto

I have ordered mine even though I don't plan on using 5.1 for some time.

RE: blue PiL

jdarling
Its on my list of books to buy.  Unfortunately that means I'll prolly
have to wait till about mid summer :(.  Will have to see if I can get
the company to spring for one :)

 - Jeremy

"Help I suffer from the oxymoron Corporate Security."

Re: blue PiL

> I encourage all readers of this list (or the companies they work
> for)  to purchase at least one copy!

Such initiative would be more than welcome :) However, there are even
better ways for people to help.

I guess most readers of this list already know that the book is
self-published. That means that it has virtually no marketing. So, we
need help to promote the book: telling about the book in other forums
(friends, lists, news groups, blogs, etc.), writing reviews, asking for
reviews, etc.

(Pragmatically, any such initiative that produces at least two sales
helps more than the purchase of one copy. :)

Re: blue PiL

Thomas Lavergne
Aaargh... Too bad, 1-day deliver only in US. I'm french and mine will be
here only in 2 to 3 weeks.
It's so quick to develop things in lua, that I'm thinking it was the
same for delivering lua books ;-)

Tom

--
Thomas Lavergne                       "Le vrai rêveur est celui qui rêve
                                       de l'impossible."  (Elsa Triolet)
[hidden email]                           http://reveurs.org

Re: blue PiL

Jolan Luff
On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 03:57:29PM -0300, Roberto Ierusalimschy wrote:
> The (real) Programming in Lua, Second Edition is finally available:
>
>   http://www.inf.puc-rio.br/~roberto/pil2/
>
> -- Roberto

Since there were some questions about amazon.com actually having it or
not, I can confirm they do since I received my copy today and it is
indeed blue ;)

Many thanks for your work on both Lua and Programming in Lua!

- Jolan