applications that use Lua

Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo-2
If there is enough interest, I'd like to add a section in the FAQ about
what kind of applications are being developed with Lua.
Please, send me a brief report of your experience with Lua.
Thanks.

RE: applications that use Lua

Bret Mogilefsky
Well, you know my project... Scripted adventure game engine, though it
required multitasking modifications.

Bret

--
"Why, that's the second biggest monkey head I've ever seen!" --Guybrush
"LeChuck's dead. I blew him into a million gooey pieces."    --Guybrush

>----------

Terry Bayne-3
On Thu, 3 Apr 1997 16:36:34 -0300, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo wrote:

>If there is enough interest, I'd like to add a section in the FAQ about
>what kind of applications are being developed with Lua.
>Please, send me a brief report of your experience with Lua.

Im using lua as a scripting language for an OS/2 based mud client.  Total time to work it into the system
was 1.5 hours (not including the time spent building the lua library).  lua's architecture made it easy and
ideal for use as an embedded scripting language.

Terry Bayne
Gnome

When you lose your name, you become small.
When you lose your spirit, you become nothing.

                             -R.K. Partain

Re: applications that use Lua

Mark Ian Barlow
I'm using Lua to sequence high-level commands to robots, connected to the
host either via a serial line or transputer link; perhaps in future via USB
or FireWire. Lua is particularly valuable here because the debugger hooks
give me a means to make external asynchronous events (eg: touch-sensors) look
like atomic actions as far as the Lua program is concerned, and allow users to
assign call-back functions to them. Essentially the robot is a "manipulation
server" and the Lua program it's client. The second major advantage is the
portability; I can easily compile a stripped-down Lua client for an embedded
processor on the robot's motherboard. The user can then download their final
debugged application into non-volatile memory, disconnect the host and
leave the robot to get on with the job.

--  Mark Ian Barlow                Non-Linear Control Consultants Ltd.
    [hidden email]            Voice / Fax: +44 (0)1207 562 154

Re: applications that use Lua

John Fletcher
I am exploring using Lua.  As yet I don't have any finished
applications, only examples and ideas.

Firstly.  I am working mainly using DOS.  I have built my examples
with Microsoft Visual C/C++ Version 1.5 with the large memory model.
It is essential that the same type of addressing is used for data and
program, as pointers to functions are passed as data.  I get a lot of
warning messages when I build the library, mainly concerned with
conversions of integer data types, but the programs work.

I would like to move over to 32 bit DOS using a DOS extender, and
Windows or Windows 95 possibly using a DLL to hold lua.

I started from the Dr Dobbs article, which mentioned that lua ran
under DOS, but have seen no makefiles or other advice for DOS.

Developments

I like the idea of a totally flexible data structure which can grow
as needed.  I would like to apply this to family history data, and
specifically to conversion of GEDCOM standard data files to HTML for
display.  GEDCOM files contain only text data and keywords.  I have
some existing software in C and would like to adapt and improve iot
using Lua.  I want also for the data base to be persistent.

I have developed a trial persistent database to store two related
sets of data - book titles and authors.  The main problem is in
getting Lua to store and restore on numeric keys as well as string
keys. (See previous comments on the list.)  At the moment this works
but lacks any interface to input new data items and does not deal
with deletion or change at all.

I have also been using LuaL from Waldemar Celes to interface C and
C++ code.  Here the interest is in numerical calculations.  I have
given Waldemar a simple example of a vector class in C++ interfaced
so that vectors are available in Lua.  One possible use of this is to
modularize C++ code so that different sections do not need to see the
headers of the other sections to be able to use them.  The more
recent lua++ code from Waldemar provides the other half.  I have only
just got this working under DOS, so I haven't done anything with it
yet.

I think one of the attractions of Lua when I read the DrDobbs article
in a hotel one evening was that I couldn't figure out how to use it!

I hope this is useful and I am willing to have my examples included
in a contribution section.

John Fletcher

Dr John P. Fletcher          Tel: (44) 121 359 3611 ext 4625
Department of Chemical Engineering and Applied Chemistry (CEAC),
Aston University,            Fax: (44) 121 359 4094
Aston Triangle,              Email: [hidden email]
BIRMINGHAM B4 7ET  U.K.
CEAC Web site http://www.ceac.aston.ac.uk/

RE: applications that use Lua

Bret Mogilefsky
The way I deal with the warnings on data conversions is to make my own
macros to complement Lua's which include a proper cast, such as:

#define lua_pushint(n)			lua_pushnumber((FLOAT)(n))
#define lua_getint(n)			((INT)lua_getnumber(n))
#define lua_getfloat(n)			((FLOAT)lua_getnumber(n))
#define lua_pushuserhandle(h,t)	lua_pushusertag((void *)(h), (t))

#define lua_isactor(n)			(lua_isuserdata(n) && lua_type(n) ==
COSTUME_RESOURCE)
#define lua_getactor(n)			((INT)lua_getuserdata(n))

#define lua_isset(n)			(lua_isuserdata(n) && lua_type(n) ==
SET_RESOURCE)
#define lua_getset(n)			((tRoom *)lua_getuserdata(n))

Presumably you have a particular function pointer type that you can cast
to.  Also useful, particularly for debugging, is to overload the "type"
library function and the "concat" fallback to do more specific things
with your user data types... I can't say enough about how this has made
debugging things easier.

Bret

--
"Why, that's the second biggest monkey head I've ever seen!" --Guybrush
"LeChuck's dead. I blew him into a million gooey pieces."    --Guybrush
Bret Mogilefsky   **   [hidden email]   **   Programmer, LucasArts

>----------

Paulo Henrique Mascarenhas Sant'Anna
> Date:          Thu, 3 Apr 1997 16:36:40 -0300
> From:          [hidden email] (Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo)
> To:            [hidden email]
> Subject:       applications that use Lua

> If there is enough interest, I'd like to add a section in the FAQ about
> what kind of applications are being developed with Lua.
> Please, send me a brief report of your experience with Lua.
> Thanks.
> --lhf

 I'm using Lua to develop Network Management Agents. I did some
experiments for my Master Thesis. Basically I worked in two
directions: The first one is an implementation of the AgentX Protocol
(still an Internet Draft) build using Lua and C and the CMU SNMP
Library. The second uses the Lua agent by Renato Cerqueira and a set
of Lua functions to access UNIX system variables, such as the
returned by uname and related Shell commands. I also created a MIB
that uses Lua functions to return system information.

 The only reference to that at the present is an article from Renato
Cerqueira and my Master Thesis (in portuguese).

 -- Paulo Henrique