announce: TeXinfo version of manual.html

announce: TeXinfo version of manual.html

Eduardo Ochs-2
This is mainly for the Emacsers using Lua.

I converted the "Reference Manual of the Programming Language Lua 4.0"
(the file manual.html in the distribution) to TeXinfo format, and I've
placed the resulting texinfo file in

    http://angg.twu.net/lua-4.0/doc/lua.texi

and in my Debian package of Lua 4.0; see

    http://angg.twu.net/e/lua.e.html

for more info on the package, including how (and why) to recompile it
on non-Debian systems.

My main motivation for texinfoing the manual was that I needed a
convenient way to place hyperlinks to the docs of functions inside my
programs. I first converted manual.html to a text file with

    lynx -dump manual.txt > ~/tmp/lua-manual.txt

and for a while I tried to use elisp links like:

    -- (find-fline "~/tmp/lua-manual.txt" "gsub (s, pat, repl [, n])")

that when executed with C-x C-e will run (find-file
"~/tmp/lua-manual.txt") and then (goto-char 0) and (search-forward
"gsub (s, pat, repl [, n])")... Now these also work, and are much
nicer:

    -- (Info-goto-node "(lua)gsub")
    -- (find-luanode "gsub")

Converting the current texinfo file to a dvi gives something very
ugly, though.

  Cheers,
    Eduardo Ochs
    http://angg.twu.net/

Re: announce: TeXinfo version of manual.html

Nahuel Greco
> and in my Debian package of Lua 4.0; see
>
>     http://angg.twu.net/e/lua.e.html

Are you planning to commit your Lua 4.0 packages to the official debian pool?

_------------------------------------------------------------.
| Nahuel Greco                 Web Development - Open Source |
| http://www.codelarvs.com.ar  Game Programming - Research   |
| Freelance coding / sysadmin  Networking. The answer is 42. |
'------------------------------------------------------------'

Re: announce: TeXinfo version of manual.html

Eduardo Ochs-2
> > and in my Debian package of Lua 4.0; see
> >
> >     http://angg.twu.net/e/lua.e.html
>
> Are you planning to commit your Lua 4.0 packages to the official debian pool?

I'd like to, but I don't have the time for that right now... But if
someone wants to take on what I did, make the package lintian-clean,
submit it, etc, I'd be happy to help. I just want a Lua package that
works, I don't even need my name on the credits (though a link to my
home page on a "thanks" file would be highly appreciated :-).

Cheers,
  Eduardo Ochs
  http://angg.twu.net/
  [hidden email]