Young Lua programmers

Erik Cassel
We embedded Lua in our online game ROBLOX several years ago. It's been
a great fit and I'm thrilled we chose it.

By now thousands of our users - pre-teens and teenagers - have written
countless lines of Lua to make games that they share with others.

We recently made a promotional video from footage taken during a
conference we hosted. The conference was like an ordinary developer
conference, except that about half the attendees where under 13.
Anyway, it struck me that the video highlights Lua and that you might
like it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuqysVAJ94o
*** Skip to 1:32 to see our young users talking about Lua ***

Thanks for being a great community!

Erik Cassel
ROBLOX

Re: Young Lua programmers

云帆江
nice, can you provide an downloadable version for me? cause i live in china, you know the Greate fire wall  and youtube

--
cheers
    Yunfan Jiang
{'nick':['jyf', 'geek42'], 'im': {'gtalk': '[hidden email]', 'irc': 'irc.freenode.net#ubuntu-cn'}, 'blog': 'http://geek42.info', 'interesting': {'teck': ['linux', 'python', 'lua', 'c', 'nosql', 'redis', 'nginx'], 'history': ['chinese history',], 'sf': [42,], 'music': ['NewAge style', 'chinese old theme', 'Any strange music']}}

Re: Young Lua programmers

Sebastien Lai
I find it impressive to see folks talking about programming at such a young age.
Kudos for that, I suppose :-)

Isn't roblox also the competitor of Minecraft[1], if you allow this
question? Sure looks similar though...

[1]: Minecraft also supports scripting via Lua, but as far as I know,
only for the server environment. Maybe that'll change too sometime
soon?

PS: When I went to roblox.com to give it a try, it greeted me with this message:

     To play ROBLOX, sign into ROBLOX.com on a computer running
Microsoft Windows ® or Mac OS X

Doesn't look like you guys support Linux. Kind of a party pooper for
me right now :-(

Re: Young Lua programmers

Matthew Frazier
On Sep 29, 2011, at 0:50 , Sebastien Lai wrote:

> [1]: Minecraft also supports scripting via Lua, but as far as I know,
> only for the server environment. Maybe that'll change too sometime
> soon?

No, it doesn't. There are plans for a mod developer program, which would probably allow someone to write a Lua mod, and if Mojang liked it enough they *might* license it from the mod developer. But right now there is absolutely no scripting support of any sort.

Unless you implemented your own Lua VM in redstone.

Thanks,
Matthew Frazier
http://leafstorm.us/

Re: Young Lua programmers

> Anyway, it struck me that the video highlights Lua and that you might
> like it:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuqysVAJ94o
> *** Skip to 1:32 to see our young users talking about Lua ***

Many thanks for the link.

Re: Young Lua programmers

Elias Hogstvedt
this is great!

I play a game called Garry's Mod which inspired me to learn Lua and get into programming. And here I am, now using C++ and Lua. There's something about this sandbox thing I love so much. Creating and sharing on the fly with other people. In Garry's Mod we have made an in game lua editor, which lets you run code on client and server state. The script you're writing is also visible above the players head, and you have some variable which are used for the player entity running the script or where the player is aiming at. ( this:remove() )

Originally Garry's mod is more code and restart oriented (unintentionally I guess), but you can make tools that will let you script in game and update code on the fly. Coding like this sparks a lot of ideas and it's overall fun and easier to debug and manage.

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 6:15 AM, Erik Cassel <[hidden email]> wrote:
We embedded Lua in our online game ROBLOX several years ago. It's been
a great fit and I'm thrilled we chose it.

By now thousands of our users - pre-teens and teenagers - have written
countless lines of Lua to make games that they share with others.

We recently made a promotional video from footage taken during a
conference we hosted. The conference was like an ordinary developer
conference, except that about half the attendees where under 13.
Anyway, it struck me that the video highlights Lua and that you might
like it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuqysVAJ94o
*** Skip to 1:32 to see our young users talking about Lua ***

Thanks for being a great community!

Erik Cassel
ROBLOX

Re: Young Lua programmers

Erik Cassel
> But right now there is absolutely no scripting support of any sort [in Minecraft]

Opening Lua to the end user is non-trivial. You have to work hard on
sandboxing: Many young programmers are passionate hackers and they
will look under every rock to find a vulnerability.

-Erik