You know you've been staring at Lua code too long when...

You know you've been staring at Lua code too long when...

Brigham Toskin
I just misread a "gnu-stype long option" in a unix command line as a comment. Apparently that makes a big difference. Oops.

Brigham Toskin

Re: You know you've been staring at Lua code too long when...

Rena
On Mon, Jul 13, 2015 at 7:42 PM, Brigham Toskin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I just misread a "gnu-stype long option" in a unix command line as a
> comment. Apparently that makes a big difference. Oops.
>
> --
> Brigham Toskin

count-- --wait, which language is this again?

Sent from my Game Boy.

Re: You know you've been staring at Lua code too long when...

> I just misread a "gnu-stype long option" in a unix command line as a
> comment. Apparently that makes a big difference. Oops.

Are you sure it wasn't a "gnu-mistype long option"?

Re: You know you've been staring at Lua code too long when...

Simon Cozens
On 14/07/2015 12:16, Rena wrote:
> count-- --wait, which language is this again?

The main three languages I use are Lua, Ruby and Javascript.
Quick, is it "else if", "elsif" or "elseif"?

Re: You know you've been staring at Lua code too long when...

Coda Highland
On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 7:36 AM, Simon Cozens <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 14/07/2015 12:16, Rena wrote:
>> count-- --wait, which language is this again?
>
> The main three languages I use are Lua, Ruby and Javascript.
> Quick, is it "else if", "elsif" or "elseif"?

I don't write Ruby, but I write enough shell and Python that "elif" is
often prominent in my head.

/s/ Adam

Re: You know you've been staring at Lua code too long when...

Jay Carlson
On 2015-07-14, at 10:36 AM, Simon Cozens <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 14/07/2015 12:16, Rena wrote:
>> count-- --wait, which language is this again?
>
> The main three languages I use are Lua, Ruby and Javascript.
> Quick, is it "else if", "elsif" or "elseif"?

AUUGH

The answer: Try typing them. If the IDE highlights "elseif" or "elsif" as a keyword, that one is correct.

Jay

Re: You know you've been staring at Lua code too long when...

Jeff Pohlmeyer
rm -rf ./tmp  /* do C-style comments work in bash? */

 - Jeff

Re: You know you've been staring at Lua code too long when...

> rm -rf ./tmp  /* do C-style comments work in bash? */

You mean "sudo" all that, I suppose?

Re: You know you've been staring at Lua code too long when...

Elias Barrionovo
Why sudo if you can always work as root?

On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 5:01 PM, Dirk Laurie <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> rm -rf ./tmp  /* do C-style comments work in bash? */
>
> You mean "sudo" all that, I suppose?

--
NI!

() - www.asciiribbon.org
/\ - ascii ribbon campaign against html e-mail and proprietary attachments

Re: You know you've been staring at Lua code too long when...

Paige DePol
Dirk Laurie <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> rm -rf ./tmp  /* do C-style comments work in bash? */
>
> You mean "sudo" all that, I suppose?

This brings back terrible nightmares about the use of 'sudo' and the 'rm' command, along with an errant space, way back in my early Linux days.

One system reinstall later and I learned to proofread all my console commands, especially the ones beginning with 'sudo'! ;)

~pmd

On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 5:41 PM, Paige DePol <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This brings back terrible nightmares about the use of 'sudo' and the 'rm' command, along with an errant space, way back in my early Linux days.

What, just like [1] and [2]?

[1] https://github.com/MrMEEE/bumblebee-Old-and-abbandoned/issues/123
[2] https://github.com/valvesoftware/steam-for-linux/issues/3671

Elias Barrionovo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 5:41 PM, Paige DePol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> This brings back terrible nightmares about the use of 'sudo' and the 'rm'
>> command, along with an errant space, way back in my early Linux days.
>

> What, just like [1] and [2]?
>
> [1] https://github.com/MrMEEE/bumblebee-Old-and-abbandoned/issues/123
> [2] https://github.com/valvesoftware/steam-for-linux/issues/3671

Yes, almost exactly the error in [1]... omg, the error in [2] is just
horrible, who even writes code like that?!

Well, Valve, apparently. LoL. But seriously, whomever typed:

rm -rf "$STEAMROOT/"*

without realising what would happen if $STEAMROOT was empty, and not
performing any sort of sanity checks... all I can do is shake my head.

~pmd