Why do ppl spell Lua as LUA?

Soni "They/Them" L.
Also, should we slap them every time they do it?

Re: Why do ppl spell Lua as LUA?

Steve Litt
On Thu, 15 May 2014 15:40:52 -0300
"Thiago L." <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Also, should we slap them every time they do it?

I sure got slapped when I first came on this list and used the all-caps
version :-)

SteveT

Steve Litt                *  http://www.troubleshooters.com/
Troubleshooting Training  *  Human Performance

RE: Why do ppl spell Lua as LUA?

Thijs Schreijer

I think I didn't get slapped, but SLAPPED for doing that :-)

Re: Why do ppl spell Lua as LUA?

Rena
On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 2:40 PM, Thiago L. <[hidden email]> wrote:
Also, should we slap them every time they do it?

Why do people spell people as ppl? ;-)

People probably assume Lua is an acronym because it's not a word they know. (I'd be interested to see if Portuguese speakers make the same mistake.) Or perhaps it's because its predecessor, SOL, was an acronym? ;-)

Sent from my Game Boy.

Re: Why do ppl spell Lua as LUA?

Joseph Manning
On Thu, May 15, 2014 19:55, Rena wrote:

>> People probably assume Lua is an acronym
>> because it's not a word they know.

Writing "LUA" is known as "having a Lua Uppercase Accident" [1]

-- Joseph

Joseph Manning / Computer Science / UCC Cork Ireland / [hidden email]

Re: Why do ppl spell Lua as LUA?

mniip
On 05/15/2014 10:40 PM, Thiago L. wrote:
>  Why do ppl spell Lua as LUA?
What if they're actually talking about my super-awesome LUA (ell-you-ay)
language? You can never know.

Re: Why do ppl spell Lua as LUA?

Paul Cuthbertson
Writing "LUA" is known as "having a Lua Uppercase Accident" [1]

I also like the recursive "LUA: Unknown Acronym".

Re: Why do ppl spell Lua as LUA?

Joseph Manning
On 2014-May-15 (Thu) at 23:56 (+0100), Paul Cuthbertson wrote:

>> I also like the recursive "LUA: Unknown Acronym".

Ah, but it *is* known -- it's the infamous Lua Uppercase Acronym :-)

Joseph Manning / Computer Science / UCC Cork Ireland / [hidden email]

Re: Why do ppl spell Lua as LUA?

Pablo Musa
> I'd be interested to see if Portuguese speakers make the same mistake.

They do :(

On 17/05/2014 17:09, Pablo Musa wrote:
> I'd be interested to see if Portuguese speakers make the same mistake.

They do :(
Yep, we do... but I'm pretty sure that's because we learn it wrong...
Em Sexta-feira, 16 de Maio de 2014 4:27, Joseph Manning [hidden email] escreveu:

On 2014-May-15 (Thu) at 23:56 (+0100), Paul Cuthbertson wrote:

>> I also like the recursive "LUA: Unknown Acronym".

Ah, but it *is* known -- it's the infamous Lua Uppercase Acronym :-)

Joseph Manning / Computer Science / UCC Cork Ireland / [hidden email]

Re: Why do ppl spell Lua as LUA?

Robert Virding-2
And what about lazy people like me who write lua? Perhaps we just get slapped? Is it a case of "lua unppercased accident"? Why do I get these strong vibes about Poe's law?

Robert