Where is luac.c

Gisle Vanem
Hi list.
I just checked out Lua-5.4 from Github:
   https://github.com/lua (assuming it's up-to-date with
the bleeding edge).

But I saw that luac.c is gone although Makefile still
mentions it (but it's commented out). And 'onelua.c' also
has a reference to it:
   https://github.com/lua/lua/blob/master/onelua.c#L106

What's the story here? Has it been dropped in favour of
something else?

PS. I' on Windows using MSVC + clang-cl to build it.

--gv

Re: Where is luac.c

Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
> I just checked out Lua-5.4 from Github:

The GitHub repository is a mirror development repository, not a
distribution repository.
Better get the official Lua 5.4.0 release (rc5) at
http://www.lua.org/work/index.html

Re: Where is luac.c

Daurnimator
On Sat, 13 Jun. 2020, 01:51 Gisle Vanem, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi list.
I just checked out Lua-5.4 from Github:
   https://github.com/lua (assuming it's up-to-date with
the bleeding edge).

But I saw that luac.c is gone although Makefile still
mentions it (but it's commented out). And 'onelua.c' also
has a reference to it:
   https://github.com/lua/lua/blob/master/onelua.c#L106

What's the story here? Has it been dropped in favour of
something else?

PS. I' on Windows using MSVC + clang-cl to build it.

--
--gv

Luac is in a different repository and brought together as part of the release process. https://github.com/lua/luac

Though it looks like lhf hasn't pushed the latest changes up.

Re: Where is luac.c

Jonathan Goble
On Fri, Jun 12, 2020 at 12:13 PM Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo <[hidden email]> wrote:
The GitHub repository is a mirror development repository, not a
distribution repository.

Out of curiosity, why is that? Virtually every open source project I've seen except Lua does their development in the same directory tree/repository that they build and distribute from.

Why is Lua different in that regard? Are there certain benefits to it (and if so, what are they)? Or is it solely a case of "this is how we've always done it"?

Also, how do you assemble the distribution tarballs? By hand or with a script? If with a script, is that script available, or would you mind releasing it? I have some ideas that might involve automated assembly of Lua "distribution" trees from the development repositories. I could probably write my own script, but it's likely easier to use yours if you have one.

Re: Where is luac.c

Gisle Vanem
Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo wrote:

>> I just checked out Lua-5.4 from Github:
>
> The GitHub repository is a mirror development repository, not a
> distribution repository.
> Better get the official Lua 5.4.0 release (rc5) at
> http://www.lua.org/work/index.html

But 'onelua.c' would be nice to use from
an application. It's missing in the .tar-ball.
Easier with a single .c-file to get Lua scripting.

--gv

Re: Where is luac.c

> Or is it solely a case of "this is how we've always done it"?

Mostly, yes, because the GitHub repository is a very recent addition
in the history of Lua.

> Also, how do you assemble the distribution tarballs? By hand or with a script?

A combination of several Makefiles to get the latest sources, check
that they build, build the html documentation, including the table of
contents and index, package tests, make diff pages, copy to lua.org,
fix index.html in lua.org/work/, make and post announcement message.
All this is locally automated but requires manual checking. Not a lot
of work. If everything goes well, it takes 10 minutes or so. It's not
pretty after 25+ years but manual checking does give some quality
control.

Re: Where is luac.c

For the time being, see http://www.lua.org/work/onelua.c .
After the final release, it'll be at http://www.lua.org/extras/5.4/