Where Lua *is* used

Re: Where Lua *is* used

Daurnimator
Noticed you're notably missing tokyotyrant from the database section.

Also I think it would be a good idea to add a section for application
fully written in lua; ie, applications that are run with the
lua/luajit executable.
eg: prosody, luarocks

On 16 February 2012 11:35, marbux <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 4:51 AM, steve donovan
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Patrick has kindly made luafaq.org available for Lua purposes. Might
>> be an option?
>
> Yes, if suitable permissions can be arranged. I'd like to avoid others
> editing the page because it's generated anew in each draft by
> exporting it from NoteCase Pro. Also, we probably won't need the node
> numbering when the page becomes more stable but it aids referencing
> places on the page that need attention early on.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Paul

Re: Where Lua *is* used

Martin Schröder-2
2012/2/16 marbux <[hidden email]>:
> New working draft up now at
> <https://sites.google.com/site/marbux/home/where-lua-is-used>.

luatex is not a "Rich text editor", but a TeX based typesetting system.
See http://www.luatex.org or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LuaTeX

Best
   Martin

Re: Where Lua *is* used

Paul E. Merrell, J.D.
On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 5:40 AM, steve donovan
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> We still have the old luaforge catalog at http://luaforge.net/projects/
>
> Yuri was doing that, but last I heard he had a four-week old baby.
> Such mini-projects tend to take priority ;)
>
> Perhaps it's something for Mr Marbux with his document organizing skills?

I thought luaforge was a dead project with not much left but project's
former home pages? 404 messages abound.

I'll need to think about it and investigate what would be required a
bit. But I question whether Gforge is the right software for the task.

There was some discussion on this list a couple of days ago about the
OpenComparison program/service as a candidate for housing such a
project. <http://opencomparison.org/>: "We offer free subdomains to
open-source languages, web frameworks, and other projects." The
service pulls in a lot of data about a package once it's fed the URL
for the project's version control system.

There may be a better service for the project. It isn't a software
type I've worked with before. But I suspect it's a project better
crowd-sourced than a one person project.

Best regards,

Paul

Re: Where Lua *is* used

Patrick Donnelly
On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 11:35 AM, marbux <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 4:51 AM, steve donovan
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Patrick has kindly made luafaq.org available for Lua purposes. Might
>> be an option?
>
> Yes, if suitable permissions can be arranged. I'd like to avoid others
> editing the page because it's generated anew in each draft by
> exporting it from NoteCase Pro. Also, we probably won't need the node
> numbering when the page becomes more stable but it aids referencing
> places on the page that need attention early on.

I haven't really been following the conversation much but I would be
happy to help host a site about where Lua is used.

The luafaq.org site is currently just static html in a subversion
repository accessible via svn+ssh (using PKI). Would that work for
you? I'd prefer not doing any dynamic CGI type stuff.

- Patrick Donnelly

Re: Where Lua *is* used

Patrick Donnelly
On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 2:56 PM, Patrick Donnelly <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I haven't really been following the conversation much but I would be
> happy to help host a site about where Lua is used.
>
> The luafaq.org site is currently just static html in a subversion
> repository accessible via svn+ssh (using PKI). Would that work for
> you? I'd prefer not doing any dynamic CGI type stuff.

[Sorry I meant to post this off-list. Sorry for the noise x2.]

- Patrick Donnelly

Re: Where Lua *is* used

Dimiter 'malkia' Stanev
I saw that wikipedia has list for lua software, not mentioned on the
page, and while most of the software on the page was included, there is
still some that it isn't.

For example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anime_Studio
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CimTrak
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ELinks

More here:

https://sites.google.com/site/marbux/home/where-lua-is-used

I guess being small, easy and portable makes a difference :)

On 1/31/2012 11:11 AM, sergei karhof wrote:

> Ok, we now do the reverse of the previous thread.
>
> Let's focus on where Lua *is* used ;)
>
> I start listing the applications that I remember:
>
> Wikipedia's template/macros (breaking news)
> Vim
> SciTE (Scintilla Text Editor)
> Awesome Windows Manager
> Ion windows manager
> Nanoki (simple wiki engine)
> Adobe Photoshop Lightroom
> NoteCase Pro (outliner)
> Sputnik (wiki engine)
> Conky
> VLC (media player)
>
> help me to complete the list...

Re: Where Lua *is* used

Bertrand Mansion
On 1/31/2012 11:11 AM, sergei karhof wrote:

> Ok, we now do the reverse of the previous thread.
> Let's focus on where Lua *is* used ;)
> help me to complete the list...

I recently discovered that the excellent Fritz Box DSL modems use Lua
all over the place for their web based administration interface.
http://www.fritzbox.eu/en/internet/index.php

KyotoCabinet is a NoSQL, powerful and ultra fast key/value database
that uses Lua as scripting language.
http://fallabs.com/kyotocabinet/

Tir is an innovative and modern web framework for taking advantage of
the Mongrel2 web server.
http://tir.mongrel2.org/

The PHP language has a C extension for running Lua scripts inside the PHP code.
http://pecl.php.net/package/lua

Apache 2.4 will have a new mod_lua module.
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.3/mod/mod_lua.html

--
Bertrand Mansion
Mamasam

Re: Where Lua *is* used

Paul E. Merrell, J.D.
On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 9:27 AM, Daurnimator <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Noticed you're notably missing tokyotyrant from the database section.

Yup. Do you happen to know where this project is located. I've found
lots of information about TokyoTyrant and TokyoCabinet but Google is
being unfriendly today. (Or maybe I should have gone to bed hours ago.
:-)

> Also I think it would be a good idea to add a section for application
> fully written in lua; ie, applications that are run with the
> lua/luajit executable.
> eg: prosody, luarocks

I'm willing to add such a section but don't feel competent to write
its content because of my tunnel vision view of Lua through the
NoteCase Pro lens. So if anyone's interested in writing that part,
I'll gladly include it. Otherwise, I think it would require too much
study on my part.

Best regards,

Paul

Re: Where Lua *is* used

Petite Abeille

On Feb 16, 2012, at 10:13 PM, marbux wrote:

> Yup. Do you happen to know where this project is located.

http://fallabs.com/tokyocabinet/luadoc/ ?

Re: Where Lua *is* used

Daurnimator
On 16 February 2012 16:13, marbux <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 9:27 AM, Daurnimator <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Noticed you're notably missing tokyotyrant from the database section.
>
> Yup. Do you happen to know where this project is located. I've found
> lots of information about TokyoTyrant and TokyoCabinet but Google is
> being unfriendly today. (Or maybe I should have gone to bed hours ago.
> :-)

http://fallabs.com/
Many of the products use lua as a scripting language; as well as
providing bindings to use them from a lua applications.

>> Also I think it would be a good idea to add a section for application
>> fully written in lua; ie, applications that are run with the
>> lua/luajit executable.
>> eg: prosody, luarocks
>
> I'm willing to add such a section but don't feel competent to write
> its content because of my tunnel vision view of Lua through the
> NoteCase Pro lens. So if anyone's interested in writing that part,
> I'll gladly include it. Otherwise, I think it would require too much
> study on my part.

I think doing a quick filter over the packages requiring
lua(40/5.1/52) in debian (or any other big package repository) (and
there's not many!) and removing ones that use lua for
configuration/shell scripting like tasks should result in an adequate
list.
As a note; this list will be quite small; I'm hoping developers will
use lua as an application writing language more often!

Re: Where Lua *is* used

Paul E. Merrell, J.D.
On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 11:56 AM, Patrick Donnelly <[hidden email]> wrote:

[I Replied off list]

Paul

Re: Where Lua *is* used

Markus Klotzbuecher

One more for the Robotics section... We use Lua extensively within the
OROCOS Real-Time Toolkit to script various components, services and
for deploying systems:

http://www.orocos.org/
http://www.orocos.org/wiki/orocos/toolchain/LuaCookbook

Best regards