Where Lua *is* used

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
92 messages Options
12345
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Where Lua *is* used

Konstantin Osipov
* sergei karhof <[hidden email]> [12/01/31 23:13]:
> Let's focus on where Lua *is* used ;)

Tarantool/Box NoSQL database - used as a stored procedure
language.

--
http://tarantool.org - an efficient, extensible in-memory data store

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Where Lua *is* used

Paul E. Merrell, J.D.
On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 11:24 PM, Konstantin Osipov
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> * sergei karhof <[hidden email]> [12/01/31 23:13]:
>> Let's focus on where Lua *is* used ;)
>
> Tarantool/Box NoSQL database - used as a stored procedure
> language.
>
> --
> http://tarantool.org - an efficient, extensible in-memory data store

Thanks. Added.

I've put the collected information on a web page so it's accessible
while it's being worked on.
<https://sites.google.com/site/marbux/home/where-lua-is-used>

Interestingly, 159 games so far.

Any contributions or feedback appreciated.

Best regards,

Paul

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Where Lua *is* used

Ross Bencina
Hi Paul,

On 15/02/2012 7:44 PM, marbux wrote:
> I've put the collected information on a web page so it's accessible
> while it's being worked on.
> <https://sites.google.com/site/marbux/home/where-lua-is-used>
>
> Interestingly, 159 games so far.
>
> Any contributions or feedback appreciated.

It seems there are a few on the wikipedia page that you don't have. on
your list. "Reason" for example.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lua_(programming_language)

Ross.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Where Lua *is* used

startx
In reply to this post by Paul E. Merrell, J.D.
On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 00:44:20 -0800
marbux <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 11:24 PM, Konstantin Osipov
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > * sergei karhof <[hidden email]> [12/01/31 23:13]:
> >> Let's focus on where Lua *is* used ;)
> >
> > Tarantool/Box NoSQL database - used as a stored procedure
> > language.
> >
> > --
> > http://tarantool.org - an efficient, extensible in-memory data store
>
> Thanks. Added.
>
> I've put the collected information on a web page so it's accessible
> while it's being worked on.
> <https://sites.google.com/site/marbux/home/where-lua-is-used>
>
> Interestingly, 159 games so far.
>

wikipedia has even a category for this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Lua-scripted_video_games

startx

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Where Lua *is* used

Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
In reply to this post by Paul E. Merrell, J.D.
> <https://sites.google.com/site/marbux/home/where-lua-is-used>

Very nice! We used to maintain such a list and it was hard work to keep
it up to date and relevant and also spam-free.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Where Lua *is* used

Tony Bauer
In reply to this post by Paul E. Merrell, J.D.
On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 12:44 AM, marbux <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 11:24 PM, Konstantin Osipov
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> * sergei karhof <[hidden email]> [12/01/31 23:13]:
>>> Let's focus on where Lua *is* used ;)
>>
>> Tarantool/Box NoSQL database - used as a stored procedure
>> language.
>>
>> --
>> http://tarantool.org - an efficient, extensible in-memory data store
>
> Thanks. Added.
>
> I've put the collected information on a web page so it's accessible
> while it's being worked on.
> <https://sites.google.com/site/marbux/home/where-lua-is-used>
>
> Interestingly, 159 games so far.
>
> Any contributions or feedback appreciated.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Paul
>
Here's an interesting use:  Vision Components is using a modified
version of Lua called MVNova for their smart cameras (machine vision
systems) running on TI C6x DSPs.

http://www.vision-components.com/en/news-events/news/details/article/smart-kameras-von-vision-components-ab-sofort-mit-microsoft-tools-programmierbar/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Where Lua *is* used

Paul E. Merrell, J.D.
Hi, all,

New working draft up now at
<https://sites.google.com/site/marbux/home/where-lua-is-used>.

This version should incorporate all changes suggested since my last
post in this thread. Many thanks for the help.

I've added a few new classifications, and will add still more later.
For example, games can be classified by type.

My most immediate goal is to catalog as many apps as can be found
fairly easily and have at least a link to a site with more information
about each. If the site has a compact description, I'll grab that at
the same time.

Considerations like consistent literary style and content type for
each entry can await the waning of the cataloging effort.

Thanks again for the assist.

Best regards,

Paul

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Where Lua *is* used

Paul E. Merrell, J.D.
In reply to this post by Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 2:17 AM, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
<[hidden email]> wrote:
>> <https://sites.google.com/site/marbux/home/where-lua-is-used>
>
> Very nice! We used to maintain such a list and it was hard work to keep
> it up to date and relevant and also spam-free.
>

Thanks, Luiz. I'm a far better librarian than coder, so this is one
method for me to contribute back to you and the others who have
created this wonderful Lua universe that I work and play in.

Best regards,

Paul

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Where Lua *is* used

sergei karhof
> <https://sites.google.com/site/marbux/home/where-lua-is-used>

> Thanks, Luiz. I'm a far better librarian than coder, so this is one
> method for me to contribute back to you and the others who have
> created this wonderful Lua universe that I work and play in.

Excellent webpage indeed. Please, keep it updated in the future.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Where Lua *is* used

Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
> <https://sites.google.com/site/marbux/home/where-lua-is-used>
>
> Excellent webpage indeed. Please, keep it updated in the future.

Yes, please! (Like I said, it'll be hard work...)

We've added links to it in lua.org at
        http://www.lua.org/about.html
        http://www.lua.org/uses.html

and soon also at
        http://www.lua.org/faq.html#2.4

BTW, there is a typo (luaa.org) in section 1:
        https://sites.google.com/site/marbux/home/where-lua-is-used#2SAPKgjMyFeFZOcnnGp18g

Thanks!

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Where Lua *is* used

Carsten Fuchs-2
In reply to this post by Paul E. Merrell, J.D.
Dear Paul,

I've been following the "Where Lua *is* used" thread on lua-l, and I think it's
wonderful that you made a comprehensive page for it!

I'm the main author of the Cafu Engine,
        http://www.cafu.de/
Would you mind adding it to your page, section "Game Engines", as well?

Cafu is an open-source game engine and graphics engine with multiplayer network support.
It currently works under Windows and Linux (and Mac soon).

It uses Lua mainly for map entity scripting and GUI scripts, see
http://api.cafu.de/scripting/ for more details.

Best regards,
Carsten




--
    Cafu - the open-source Game and Graphics Engine
for multiplayer, cross-platform, real-time 3D Action
           Learn more at http://www.cafu.de

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Where Lua *is* used

Lee Hickey
Great list - I just realised Corona was missing: http://www.anscamobile.com/corona/

Regards Lee.

On 16 February 2012 11:22, Carsten Fuchs <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear Paul,

I've been following the "Where Lua *is* used" thread on lua-l, and I think it's wonderful that you made a comprehensive page for it!

I'm the main author of the Cafu Engine,
       http://www.cafu.de/
Would you mind adding it to your page, section "Game Engines", as well?

Cafu is an open-source game engine and graphics engine with multiplayer network support. It currently works under Windows and Linux (and Mac soon).

It uses Lua mainly for map entity scripting and GUI scripts, see http://api.cafu.de/scripting/ for more details.

Best regards,
Carsten




--
  Cafu - the open-source Game and Graphics Engine
for multiplayer, cross-platform, real-time 3D Action
         Learn more at http://www.cafu.de


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Where Lua *is* used

Paul E. Merrell, J.D.
In reply to this post by Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 2:15 AM, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Excellent webpage indeed. Please, keep it updated in the future.
>
> Yes, please! (Like I said, it'll be hard work...)

It's actually fairly easy for me, other than keeping my nose to the
grindstone. I'm using the NoteCase Pro outliner to work the page, with
each app's entry (and major section headings) a separate node.

Nodes can each be separately tagged or have other metadata added and
any arbitrary group of nodes (e.g., those with a particular tag
combination) can be identified via a search or Lua script and then
listed in a flat list view (no hierarchy) for further processing,
e.g., marking them for an operation to gather
marked nodes under a particular new classifying node.

Lots of bells and whistles for web research too and a new HTML page
source file complete with a table of contents and node numbering is
just an export action away. I wrote the app's documentation for
several years so its use is second nature to me. I spend lots of time
every day building documents similar to the Lua apps document, just on
differing topics.

> We've added links to it in lua.org at
>        http://www.lua.org/about.html
>        http://www.lua.org/uses.html
>
> and soon also at
>        http://www.lua.org/faq.html#2.4

Great! But fair warning that I'm going to need to change the page's
URL at some point to get an intervening page between this page and the
site's home page. I've got some more Lua-related content to put up so
need a classifying "Lua" page for its sub-pages.

> BTW, there is a typo (luaa.org) in section 1:
>        https://sites.google.com/site/marbux/home/where-lua-is-used#2SAPKgjMyFeFZOcnnGp18g

Fixed in the next draft that should go up later tonight. Thanks for the catch.

Best regards,

Paul

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Where Lua *is* used

Paul E. Merrell, J.D.
In reply to this post by Carsten Fuchs-2
On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 3:22 AM, Carsten Fuchs <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Would you mind adding it to your page, section "Game Engines", as well?
>
> Cafu is an open-source game engine and graphics engine with multiplayer
> network support. It currently works under Windows and Linux (and Mac soon).
>
> It uses Lua mainly for map entity scripting and GUI scripts, see
> http://api.cafu.de/scripting/ for more details.

I've added it in the draft that should go up later tonight, Carsten.
Thank you. My compliments on your web site design; I was a typographer
for 20-some years before my second career as a lawyer and appreciate
excellent graphic design. The page I'm working on has a long way to go
to catch up to your standards.

Best regards,

Paul

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Where Lua *is* used

steve donovan
In reply to this post by Paul E. Merrell, J.D.
On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 2:34 PM, marbux <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Great! But fair warning that I'm going to need to change the page's
> URL at some point to get an intervening page between this page and the
> site's home page. I've got some more Lua-related content to put up so
> need a classifying "Lua" page for its sub-pages.

Patrick has kindly made luafaq.org available for Lua purposes. Might
be an option?

steve d.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Where Lua *is* used

sergei karhof
In reply to this post by Paul E. Merrell, J.D.
On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 1:34 PM, marbux <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm using the NoteCase Pro outliner to work the page, with
> each app's entry (and major section headings) a separate node.

BTW, where can I find some instructions/tutorial on the use of Lua for
scripting NoteCase Pro? Can you provide some links/material, please?

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Where Lua *is* used

sergei karhof
In reply to this post by steve donovan
On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 1:51 PM, steve donovan
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Patrick has kindly made luafaq.org available for Lua purposes. Might
> be an option?

Indeed. It would be an excellent idea to gather all the Lua-related
info, especially the info useful for newcomers, into one place.
luafaq.org would be ideal for this purpose.

Another thing that I would like to see in luafaq.org would be a
comprehensive list of all the Lua libraries/extensions that lie
scattered across the internet. So that a newcomer could enjoy a
panoramic view of the Lua programming arena.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Where Lua *is* used

steve donovan
On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 3:23 PM, sergei karhof <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Another thing that I would like to see in luafaq.org would be a
> comprehensive list of all the Lua libraries/extensions that lie
> scattered across the internet. So that a newcomer could enjoy a
> panoramic view of the Lua programming arena.

We still have the old luaforge catalog at http://luaforge.net/projects/

Yuri was doing that, but last I heard he had a four-week old baby.
Such mini-projects tend to take priority ;)

Perhaps it's something for Mr Marbux with his document organizing skills?

steve d.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Where Lua *is* used

Jeff Pohlmeyer
In reply to this post by Paul E. Merrell, J.D.
> New working draft up now at
> <https://sites.google.com/site/marbux/home/where-lua-is-used>.

Nice work!

I noticed the "Ion" window manager is listed in section 10.10 under
"Miscellaneous" but the "Awesome" window manager is listed in section
12 under "Operating Systems and Window Managers". It seems like there
are some other WM's that use Lua, but I can't think of any offhand,
except maybe this one:  https://github.com/bartman/wmii-lua

 - Jeff

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Where Lua *is* used

Paul E. Merrell, J.D.
In reply to this post by steve donovan
On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 4:51 AM, steve donovan
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Patrick has kindly made luafaq.org available for Lua purposes. Might
> be an option?

Yes, if suitable permissions can be arranged. I'd like to avoid others
editing the page because it's generated anew in each draft by
exporting it from NoteCase Pro. Also, we probably won't need the node
numbering when the page becomes more stable but it aids referencing
places on the page that need attention early on.

Best regards,

Paul

12345