Where Lua *is* used

Re: Where Lua *is* used

sergei karhof
On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 9:35 PM, Marc Balmer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 31.01.2012 um 21:24 schrieb sergei karhof <[hidden email]>:
>
>> On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 9:16 PM, Marc Balmer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> arcapos (commercial point of sale solution)
>>
>> Hey, Marc, you didn't mention the Lua scriptability in the NetBSD kernel! ;)
>>

> fwiw, I will give a talk about this at FOSDEM next weekend.

Great, be sure to post the slides or the video after the talk.

RE: Where Lua *is* used

Thijs Schreijer
Logitech Sqeezebox (hardware, mediaplayer)
Logitech G15 (hardware, keyboard)
Girder (homeautomation server)

Re: Where Lua *is* used

Stefan-8
Civilization 5
World of Warcraft
Farcry
Crysis
Angry Birds
wolfenstein: Enemy Territory (ETPro)

IIRC there is already are a few such lists:

http://lua-users.org/wiki/LuaUses
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lua_%28programming_language%29#Applications

How about we just update those?

On 1/31/2012 11:11 AM, sergei karhof wrote:

> Ok, we now do the reverse of the previous thread.
>
> Let's focus on where Lua *is* used ;)
>
> I start listing the applications that I remember:
>
> Wikipedia's template/macros (breaking news)
> Vim
> SciTE (Scintilla Text Editor)
> Awesome Windows Manager
> Ion windows manager
> Nanoki (simple wiki engine)
> Adobe Photoshop Lightroom
> NoteCase Pro (outliner)
> Sputnik (wiki engine)
> Conky
> VLC (media player)
>
> help me to complete the list...

Re: Where Lua *is* used

Roberto Ierusalimschy
> IIRC there is already are a few such lists:
>
> http://lua-users.org/wiki/LuaUses
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lua_%28programming_language%29#Applications

Wikipedia has a Category for games using Lua:

  Category:Lua-scripted video games
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Lua-scripted_video_games

It lists around 150 games (including four subcategories for specific
engines).

Re: Where Lua *is* used

Gour
On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 13:33:50 -0800

Monotone -  free distributed version control system.
(http://www.monotone.ca/)

Sincerely,
Gour

--
The devotees of the Lord are released from all kinds of sins
because they eat food which is offered first for sacrifice.

http://atmarama.net | Hlapicina (Croatia) | GPG: 52B5C810

Re: Where Lua *is* used

Javier Guerra Giraldez
On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 4:27 PM, Florian Weimer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> * Javier Guerra Giraldez:
>
>> apt (Debian package manager)
>
> I don't think so.  Where?

it seems to have vanished.... or it was a figment of my imagination?

(can somebody confirm or deny?)

Javier

Re: Where Lua *is* used

Sam Roberts
On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 1:52 PM, Javier Guerra Giraldez
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 4:27 PM, Florian Weimer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> * Javier Guerra Giraldez:
>>
>>> apt (Debian package manager)
>>
>> I don't think so.  Where?

http://apt-rpm.org/scripting.shtml

Re: Where Lua *is* used

> Let's focus on where Lua *is* used ;)
>
> I start listing the applications that I remember:

As mentioned in http://www.lua.org/uses.html :
        The wiki contains a list. http://lua-users.org/wiki/LuaUses
        Wikipedia contains another list. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lua_%28programming_language%29#Applications

Re: Where Lua *is* used

David Favro
On 01/31/2012 05:32 PM, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo wrote:
>> Let's focus on where Lua *is* used ;)
>>
>> I start listing the applications that I remember:
>
> As mentioned in http://www.lua.org/uses.html :
> The wiki contains a list. http://lua-users.org/wiki/LuaUses
> Wikipedia contains another list. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lua_%28programming_language%29#Applications

Also on Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Lua-scriptable_software

Re: Where Lua *is* used

Rena
On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 17:22, David Favro <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 01/31/2012 05:32 PM, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo wrote:
>>> Let's focus on where Lua *is* used ;)
>>>
>>> I start listing the applications that I remember:
>>
>> As mentioned in http://www.lua.org/uses.html :
>>       The wiki contains a list.               http://lua-users.org/wiki/LuaUses
>>       Wikipedia contains another list.        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lua_%28programming_language%29#Applications
>
> Also on Wikipedia:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Lua-scriptable_software

Doesn't the game Roblox use Lua? I think it's fairly popular judging
from the amount of spam I see relating to it on Youtube. :)

Sent from my toaster.

Re: Where Lua *is* used

Paul E. Merrell, J.D.
CodeMAX is a simple and fast text editor with the possibility to add
custom features using the script language Lua. By creating plugins
with Lua you can customize CodeMAX on your own. For exsample it is
possible to build a complete IDE for different programming languages
like C/C++, PHP, Pascal or Basic. <http://codemax.luaforge.net/>

Best regards,

Paul

Re: Where Lua *is* used

Paul E. Merrell, J.D.
Textadept. "In a world where code bloat is commonplace and application
speed is second to its number of features, Textadept breaks that
trend, aiming to stay minimalist and fast, but at the same time being
ridiculously extensible. At its core lies less than 2000 lines of C
code, and that is how it always will be. While other editors rely on
numerous plugins for a wide range of functionality, recordable macros
to speed up workflow, and shell scripts to quickly transform text,
Textadept takes it to the extreme: it gives you complete control over
the entire application using the embedded Lua language. Lua is one of
the fastest scripting languages available and has a very small
footprint. In fact, most of Textadept is written in Lua. The
application's incredibly fast startup time and operation attest to
Lua's worthiness."
<http://caladbolg.net/luadoc/textadept/manual/1_Introduction.html>.

Best regards,

Paul

Re: Where Lua *is* used

Miles Bader-2
Rebel Neurofog <[hidden email]> writes:
> GIMP

Lua's used in the GIMP?

I thought it only had scheme and python for scripts?

-Miles

Z!

Re: Where Lua *is* used

Paul E. Merrell, J.D.
The principal aim of the LucED project is to develop a text editor
with the following features:

LucED, the Lucid Editor. LucED is an open source text editor with a
graphical X11 user interface. Although the program is in its early
development stage
A simple and minimalistic, but powerful user interface that is similar
to the NEdit text editor, but does not depend on Motif
Embedded Lua programming language for scripting and configuration
Powerful regular expressions using the PCRE library
Syntax highlighting configurable via regular expressions, similar to
the NEdit syntax highlighting but with the enhancement to use
arbitrarily nested patterns
Fast and responsive user interface: e.g. syntax highlighting is done
in the background and does not freeze the user interface, special
handling to achieve fast keyboard repeat rates
No dependencies on high-level widget toolkits in order to minimise the
requirements for the operating system
<http://luced.de/>.

WordGrinder. A minimalist word processor written in C and Lua 5.1.
<http://wordgrinder.sourceforge.net/>

lua-ed. A clone of the Unix standard editor "ed", written in Lua.
<https://github.com/martinwguy/lua-ed>.

Re: Where Lua *is* used

Kevin T. Ryan

Redis (Redis is an open
source, advanced
key-value store. It is
often referred to as a
data structure server
since keys can
contain strings ,
hashes, lists, sets and
sorted). see redis.io

Re: Where Lua *is* used

Miles Bader-2
marbux <[hidden email]> writes:
> CodeMAX is a simple and fast text editor with the possibility to add
> custom features using the script language Lua. By creating plugins
> with Lua you can customize CodeMAX on your own. For exsample it is
> possible to build a complete IDE for different programming languages
> like C/C++, PHP, Pascal or Basic. <http://codemax.luaforge.net/>

The editor "zile" (a sort of "minimal emacs clone" intended for
applications like install disks etc) is written in Lua.  Well, the dev
branch is written in Lua, anyway.

It's something of an interesting case:  the original zile was written
entirely in C -- and worked fine -- but the author came to the
conclusion that it was sort of a dead-end project, because of its
limited scope of use (most people can just use a fuller-fat emacs
version or clone).  But he also felt it was still a useful program to
have to support its tiny niche.  He wanted to keep it around for this
purpose, but also wanted to make sure it was not a maintenance burden.

So, he rewrote it completely in Lua to reduce its footprint, make it
more portable, and easier to maintain.

-Miles

--
Faith, n. Belief without evidence in what is told by one who speaks without
knowledge, of things without parallel.

Re: Where Lua *is* used

Paul E. Merrell, J.D.
Maybe 50 or more games identified here.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Lua-scripted_video_games>.

Best regards,

Paul

Re: Where Lua *is* used

sergei karhof
On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 5:45 AM, Miles Bader <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It's something of an interesting case:  the original zile was written
> entirely in C -- and worked fine -- but the author came to the
> conclusion that it was sort of a dead-end project, because of its
> limited scope of use (most people can just use a fuller-fat emacs
> version or clone).  But he also felt it was still a useful program to
> have to support its tiny niche.  He wanted to keep it around for this
> purpose, but also wanted to make sure it was not a maintenance burden.
>
> So, he rewrote it completely in Lua to reduce its footprint, make it
> more portable, and easier to maintain.

Rewriting a whole C program in Lua, just for the sake of performance,
portability, easy maintenance...
Wow. That's what I call an inspiring story.

At the cost of sounding stoned, Long live Lua !!!

Re: Where Lua *is* used

sergei karhof
> WordGrinder. A minimalist word processor written in C and Lua 5.1.
> <http://wordgrinder.sourceforge.net/>

WordGrinder is great. A nice geeky, minimalist user experience. I
highly recommend it, try it. I just wished that it was *scriptable* in
Lua. It certainly can be done, but it seems that the author has not
been working on it for a while. Please, David, will you give us this
joy?

Re: Where Lua *is* used

sergei karhof
This thread is raking up programs that I did not even know existed,
and which are not even mentioned in other lists.

Keep it going, folks!

12345