Where Lua Is Used

Matthias Kluwe
Hi!

FYI, I found two programs using Lua which are currently not mentioned
on https://sites.google.com/site/marbux/home/where-lua-is-used or
http://lua-users.org/wiki/LuaUses.

The first is clink, which provides "Powerful Bash-style command line
editing for cmd.exe" (see http://mridgers.github.io/clink/). More than
that, clink can be extended through a Lua API, enabling the user to
provide customized tab-press auto-complete. I used one of the provided
hooks to change the prompt to '#' and displaying the current directory
in the window title bar (suddenly feeling much more comfortable).

If you have to work on Windows, give it a try.

The second is still a little mistery to me, but in the process of
upgrading to a new version of SAS
(http://www.sas.com/en_us/software/sas9.html), I stumbled upon the
output capabilities to Excel (OOXML), apparently using Lua, according
to this (http://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings14/SAS177-2014.pdf)
paper. I have not found any official documentation for this, but the
Output Delivery System User Guide starts citing the Lua License (see
here: http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/odsug/67325/HTML/default/viewer.htm#bookinfo.htm).

If anyone can shed a light on this, please do.

Regards,
Matthias

Re: Where Lua Is Used

Andrew Starks
On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 1:59 PM, Matthias Kluwe <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The first is clink, which provides "Powerful Bash-style command line
> editing for cmd.exe" (see http://mridgers.github.io/clink/). More than
> that, clink can be extended through a Lua API, enabling the user to
> provide customized tab-press auto-complete. I used one of the provided
> hooks to change the prompt to '#' and displaying the current directory
> in the window title bar (suddenly feeling much more comfortable).

Great finds.

A: I wish i learned about clink a long time ago! It seems to be very well done.
B: I cannot read anything written about SAS, even as irrelevant datum
to an unrelated point, without throwing up a little bit.

-Andrew

Re: Where Lua Is Used

Paul E. Merrell, J.D.
On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 11:59 AM, Matthias Kluwe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The second is still a little mistery to me, but in the process of
> upgrading to a new version of SAS
> (http://www.sas.com/en_us/software/sas9.html),

I followed that link, read that page, and read the Features page, but
still have no idea what the core functionality of SAS is. They seem to
have overlooked explaining that in their excitement about particular
features.

For what purpose might someone want to install and use this software?

Thanks for the links.

Paul

--
[Notice not included in the above original message:  The U.S. National
message.]

Re: Where Lua Is Used

Matthias Kluwe
Am 23.01.2015 um 22:52 schrieb Andrew Starks:
> On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 1:59 PM, Matthias Kluwe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> [...]
>
> Great finds.
>
> A: I wish i learned about clink a long time ago! It seems to be very well done.
> B: I cannot read anything written about SAS, even as irrelevant datum
> to an unrelated point, without throwing up a little bit.

Fair enough. You get accustomed to that when you're using it in your
daily work. After several decades of development, it shows the expected
level of awkwardness.

Matthias

Re: Where Lua Is Used

Matthias Kluwe
Am 24.01.2015 um 04:08 schrieb Paul Merrell:

> On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 11:59 AM, Matthias Kluwe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> The second is still a little mistery to me, but in the process of
>> upgrading to a new version of SAS
>> (http://www.sas.com/en_us/software/sas9.html),
>
> I followed that link, read that page, and read the Features page, but
> still have no idea what the core functionality of SAS is. They seem to
> have overlooked explaining that in their excitement about particular
> features.

No, they expect that their sales people already have you on your hook.
And you're not expected to understand too much technical detail.

> For what purpose might someone want to install and use this software?

It's kind of a data analysis management storage reporting client server
with sql engine programming language development environment sold to
management which has too much money to spend. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAS_%28software%29.

Matthias

Re: Where Lua Is Used

Paul E. Merrell, J.D.
On Sat, Jan 24, 2015 at 7:36 AM, Matthias Kluwe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It's kind of a data analysis management storage reporting client server
> with sql engine programming language development environment sold to
> management which has too much money to spend. See
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAS_%28software%29.

Thank you, Matthias.

Best regards,

Paul

--
[Notice not included in the above original message:  The U.S. National
message.]

Re: Where Lua Is Used

Andrew Starks

On Saturday, January 24, 2015, Matthias Kluwe <[hidden email]> wrote:
Am 23.01.2015 um 22:52 schrieb Andrew Starks:
> On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 1:59 PM, Matthias Kluwe <<a href="javascript:;" onclick="_e(event, &#39;cvml&#39;, &#39;mkluwe@gmail.com&#39;)">mkluwe@...> wrote:
>> [...]
>
> Great finds.
>
> A: I wish i learned about clink a long time ago! It seems to be very well done.
> B: I cannot read anything written about SAS, even as irrelevant datum
> to an unrelated point, without throwing up a little bit.

Fair enough. You get accustomed to that when you're using it in your
daily work. After several decades of development, it shows the expected
level of awkwardness.

Matthias

Whenever I criticize someone else's work, the universe is very efficient at repaying me with some form of embarrassment. In this case, I read "SAS" and mentally thought "SAP", which probably is as close to "open season for criticism" as you can get, but I won't make that mistake again... any further than this correction + my gratuitous "open season" remark...

I guess "progress" for me takes the form of an awareness of mistakes, but not so much a reduction in them. :)

-Andrew

Re: Where Lua Is Used

Tim Hunter-3
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAS_Institute

--
Tim Hunter

> On Jan 23, 2015, at 10:08 PM, Paul Merrell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 11:59 AM, Matthias Kluwe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> The second is still a little mistery to me, but in the process of
>> upgrading to a new version of SAS
>> (http://www.sas.com/en_us/software/sas9.html),
>
> I followed that link, read that page, and read the Features page, but
> still have no idea what the core functionality of SAS is. They seem to
> have overlooked explaining that in their excitement about particular
> features.
>
> For what purpose might someone want to install and use this software?
>
> Thanks for the links.
>
> Paul
>

> --
> [Notice not included in the above original message:  The U.S. National
> Security Agency neither confirms nor denies that it intercepted this
> message.]

Re: Where Lua Is Used

Philippe Lhoste
On 23/01/2015 20:59, Matthias Kluwe wrote:

> Hi!
>
> FYI, I found two programs using Lua which are currently not mentioned
> on https://sites.google.com/site/marbux/home/where-lua-is-used or
> http://lua-users.org/wiki/LuaUses.
>
> The first is clink, which provides "Powerful Bash-style command line
> editing for cmd.exe" (see http://mridgers.github.io/clink/). More than
> that, clink can be extended through a Lua API, enabling the user to
> provide customized tab-press auto-complete. I used one of the provided
> hooks to change the prompt to '#' and displaying the current directory
> in the window title bar (suddenly feeling much more comfortable).
>
> If you have to work on Windows, give it a try.

I mentioned it in http://lua-users.org/lists/lua-l/2014-11/msg00419.html and I see it was
mentioned earlier in http://lua-users.org/lists/lua-l/2012-07/msg00005.html
I suppose it is in the queue of marbux' page.

I use clink daily now, and I appreciate it.

--
Philippe Lhoste
--  (near) Paris -- France