[Where Lua] Factorio

Andrew Starks-2
While browsing Steam at work (Hi boss! Hey there!), I came across
Factorio[1]. If you read the reviews on Steam, you will find almost
nothing but rhapsodic praise for the game, including:

"I had to cut out crack-cocaine becuase it was interfering with factorio."

and

"I dream about how to improve my factory. Send help."

The game is praised for being remarkably stable and extremely well
designed. The modding culture is fantastic and the language, if you
haven't guessed, is Lua.

Looking at the object model that is provided, you can see the design
of the game and it's well thought out. In the documentation[2] you
learn that the "base_mod" is what makes up the vanilla Factorio game,
and it's just a lua file that you can edit.

It's an extremely fun game and a fun way to play with Lua, too.

--
Andrew Starks
[hidden email]

[1] http://store.steampowered.com/app/427520/#app_reviews_hash
[2] https://wiki.factorio.com/index.php?title=Modding_overview

Re: [Where Lua] Factorio

Paul E. Merrell, J.D.
On Thu, Aug 11, 2016 at 7:24 PM, Andrew Starks <[hidden email]> wrote:
> While browsing Steam at work (Hi boss! Hey there!), I came across
> Factorio

Hi, Andrew,

Added to the queue for the Where Lua Is Used page.

Best regards,

Paul

--
[Notice not included in the above original message:  The U.S. National
message.]

Re: [Where Lua] Factorio

Laurent FAILLIE
Hi Paul,
You can add 2 of my open source projects as well :

* Marcel ( https://github.com/destroyedlolo/Marcel  ) : an MQTT injector mostly made for smart home usages. It publishes on MQTT network 1-wire figures, meteo forecast and many others ... It is able as well to control external devices thru 1-wire network and send alerts (SMS but limited to a French provider, Mail or Google Cloud Messaging). Lua is used to create custom controls on data as well as custom actions.

* Séléné ( https://github.com/destroyedlolo/Selene ) : it's an automation tool based on MQTT messages. It can launch Lua script on message's arrival as well as publish orders again thru MQTT messages.
Thanks to it's DirectFB plug-in, it can be used to build graphical applications powered by Lua's scripts without X overload.

Séléné is the core of my home automation system, driving shutters and probably warming in the future, determining alarm condition, ...
I use it also to make one of my own dashboards using a bricked android tablet, resurrected with Linux and using Séléné's DirectFB plug-in.
Marcel is the low layer part b/w the MQTT network and the real world.

Bye

Laurent

Le Vendredi 12 août 2016 8h15, Paul Merrell <[hidden email]> a écrit :

On Thu, Aug 11, 2016 at 7:24 PM, Andrew Starks <[hidden email]> wrote:

> While browsing Steam at work (Hi boss! Hey there!), I came across
> Factorio

Hi, Andrew,

Added to the queue for the Where Lua Is Used page.

Best regards,

Paul

--
[Notice not included in the above original message:  The U.S. National
message.]

Re: [Where Lua] Factorio

David Given
On 12/08/16 04:24, Andrew Starks wrote:
[...]
> The game is praised for being remarkably stable and extremely well
> designed. The modding culture is fantastic and the language, if you
> haven't guessed, is Lua.

I've got it. It's utterly rock solid and even though it's still a
prerelease it's very slick. (One day I want to see a writeup on how the
simulation engine works; that stuff's not easy.)

My only complaints are that (a) it's far too addictive; seriously, it
triggers my latent OCD in a slightly uncomfortable manner; (b) it's
brown. Very brown; (c) the controls need improving.

I didn't know it used Lua. I'll take another look --- thanks!

--
┌─── dg@cowlark.com ───── http://www.cowlark.com ─────
│ "There is nothing in the world so dangerous --- and I mean *nothing*