What text editor to use for lua programming on Mac OS X

What text editor to use for lua programming on Mac OS X

Vafa Khalighi
Hi

What text editors are suitable for lua programming on Mac OS X?

Thanks

--
Vafa Khalighi
Iranian
Persian

Persian

Re: What text editor to use for lua programming on Mac OS X

Meer, H. van der
I am using the BBEDit editor for many years now and find it very good. It has syntax coloring for Lua and builtin possibility for version control systems like svn.

Hans van der Meer

On 18 jul 2011, at 10:19, Vafa Khalighi wrote:

> Hi
>
> What text editors are suitable for lua programming on Mac OS X?
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Vafa Khalighi
> Iranian
> Persian

Re: What text editor to use for lua programming on Mac OS X

Marc Balmer
Am 18.07.11 10:20, schrieb Vafa Khalighi:
> or better asked, if you use Mac OS X, what text editor you use for lua
> programming?

TextWrangler (free) or bbedit (costs money).  I use both.

> On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 6:19 PM, Vafa Khalighi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> What text editors are suitable for lua programming on Mac OS X?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> --
>> Vafa Khalighi
>> Iranian
>> Persian

Re: What text editor to use for lua programming on Mac OS X

Pascal J. Bourguignon
Vafa Khalighi <[hidden email]> writes:

> or better asked, if you use Mac OS X, what text editor you use for lua programming?
>
> On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 6:19 PM, Vafa Khalighi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>     Hi
>
>     What text editors are suitable for lua programming on Mac OS X?

Or better asked, what text editor do you use?  (for anything, anywhere).

emacs!

http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/LuaMode

Specifically for MacOSX: http://www.emacsformacosx.com/

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__                     http://www.informatimago.com/

Re: What text editor to use for lua programming on Mac OS X

Enrico Colombini
On 18/07/2011 10.20, Vafa Khalighi wrote:
> or better asked, if you use Mac OS X, what text editor you use for lua
> programming?

TextWrangler is a good editor and recognizes Lua syntax.

   Enrico

Re: What text editor to use for lua programming on Mac OS X

Jacob Jay
I just swapped from BBEdit/TextWrangler to Macrabbit's Espresso, using a slightly modified version of this syntax hilighting module to detect Lua embedded in HTML -- http://fileability.net/coffee/sugar/Lua

It can be a little quirky, but you have much more fine grained control over the syntax colouring (using CSS), and it has useful and customisable autocomplete/expansions, although does not learn your own function names and offer to autocomplete them like BBEdit does (in some cases). However there's also other apps:

http://tuppis.com/smultron
http://www.el34.com/
http://macromates.com/

On 18 Jul 2011, at 10:20, Vafa Khalighi wrote:

> or better asked, if you use Mac OS X, what text editor you use for lua programming?
>
> On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 6:19 PM, Vafa Khalighi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi
>
> What text editors are suitable for lua programming on Mac OS X?
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Vafa Khalighi
> Iranian
> Persian
>

> --
> Vafa Khalighi
> Iranian
> Persian

Re: What text editor to use for lua programming on Mac OS X

Joseph Kehoe

>emacs!
>
>http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/
>http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/LuaMode
>
>Specifically for MacOSX: http://www.emacsformacosx.com/

Aquamacs - Emacs with HIG compliance!

-power of emacs with nice OSX interface

http://aquamacs.org/

Joseph.

Re: What text editor to use for lua programming on Mac OS X

Lee Hickey
Sublime Text is great. 2.0 is currently in beta (http://www.sublimetext.com/blog/articles/sublime-text-2-beta)
Also, vim

On 18 July 2011 10:14, Joseph Kehoe <[hidden email]> wrote:
Aquamacs - Emacs with HIG compliance!

-power of emacs with nice OSX interface

http://aquamacs.org/

Joseph.

Re: What text editor to use for lua programming on Mac OS X

Valerio
I use TextMate (costs some money).
The Lua module works just fine.

On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 10:20 AM, Vafa Khalighi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> or better asked, if you use Mac OS X, what text editor you use for lua
> programming?
>
> On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 6:19 PM, Vafa Khalighi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>> What text editors are suitable for lua programming on Mac OS X?
>> Thanks
>>
>> --
>> Vafa Khalighi
>> Iranian
>> Persian
>>

> --
> Vafa Khalighi
> Iranian
> Persian

Re: What text editor to use for lua programming on Mac OS X

Vafa Khalighi
ُThanks all for the suggestions.

--
Vafa Khalighi
Iranian
Persian

Re: What text editor to use for lua programming on Mac OS X

Dimiter 'malkia' Stanev
Aquamacs with lua-mode from here:

http://github.com/immerrr/lua-mode

On 7/18/11 1:19 AM, Vafa Khalighi wrote:

> Hi
>
> What text editors are suitable for lua programming on Mac OS X?
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Vafa Khalighi
> Iranian
> Persian

Re: What text editor to use for lua programming on Mac OS X

Wesley Smith
There are a lot of choices on OSX.  I use SubEthaEdit purely out of
habit and Xcode when I'm writing both C and Lua code.
wes

Re: What text editor to use for lua programming on Mac OS X

eugeny gladkih
On 18.07.2011 12:19, Vafa Khalighi wrote:

> What text editors are suitable for lua programming on Mac OS X?

emacs!

Re: What text editor to use for lua programming on Mac OS X

Martin Schröder-2
2011/7/18 john gladkih 599133195 <[hidden email]>:
> On 18.07.2011 12:19, Vafa Khalighi wrote:
>> What text editors are suitable for lua programming on Mac OS X?
>>
> emacs!

He asked for an editor, not for an OS. I believe there's a vi mode for
emacs, though. :-)

vim runs on Mac OS.

Best
   Martin

Re: What text editor to use for lua programming on Mac OS X

Leo Razoumov
On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 04:19, Vafa Khalighi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi
> What text editors are suitable for lua programming on Mac OS X?
> Thanks

Textadept [1] is a fast, minimalist, and extensible programmer's text
editor for Linux, Mac OSX, and Windows. Most of it is written in Lua
with some C code whenever required.

[1]  http://code.google.com/p/textadept/

--Leo--

Re: What text editor to use for lua programming on Mac OS X

Axel Kittenberger
A great amount of editors on a system is a sign that there isn't a
good. (Supposed to be some citation I cannot find).

Default vim feels somehow akward on OS X, I'm not sure how nor did I
bother to figure how to make it feel on GNU/Linux, but I'm sure it can
be done.

After tested half a dozend, I decided for Textwrangler, best bet so
far. But it doesn't feature like notepad++ on Windows, like
auto-highlighting the matching bracket when writing one or moving the
bracket over it.

Re: What text editor to use for lua programming on Mac OS X

David Kastrup
Martin Schröder <[hidden email]> writes:

> 2011/7/18 john gladkih 599133195 <[hidden email]>:
>> On 18.07.2011 12:19, Vafa Khalighi wrote:
>>> What text editors are suitable for lua programming on Mac OS X?
>>>
>> emacs!
>
> He asked for an editor, not for an OS. I believe there's a vi mode for
> emacs, though. :-)

A few more than that.  Already built in are viper-mode, vi-mode, and
vip-mode.

--
David Kastrup

Re: What text editor to use for lua programming on Mac OS X

Dimiter 'malkia' Stanev
        There is also Zile that has now version written almost 99% in lua by
Rueben Thomas (who is also active on this list).

        http://libreplanet.org/wiki/GNU_Zile

Leo Razoumov <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 04:19, Vafa Khalighi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi
>> What text editors are suitable for lua programming on Mac OS X?
>> Thanks
>
> Textadept [1] is a fast, minimalist, and extensible programmer's text
> editor for Linux, Mac OSX, and Windows. Most of it is written in Lua
> with some C code whenever required.

Well, if you have to scoop away a cup of tea, yes, a spoon is a fast,
minimalist and extensible tool.

But if you're a professionnal programmer and your job is to scoop the
ocean, then avoid the spoons.  Use the industrial strength,
professionnal tool: emacs.

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__                     http://www.informatimago.com/