What now ?

jlpe_1
Hello,

Now that Plua 2.0 is released, what happens next ?
Can we expect a version compatible with Lua 5.1 anytime soon ?

Thanks,
Jorge

Re: What now ?

migueletto-2
Hi,

--- In [hidden email], "jlpe_1" <jlpe_1@...> wrote:
> Now that Plua 2.0 is released, what happens next ?
> Can we expect a version compatible with Lua 5.1 anytime soon ?

This is how I see it: as a development environment, PalmOS has reached
a dead end. The current branch (PalmOS 5, or Garnet) will not be
enhanced further. What was going to be PalmOS 6, codenamed Cobalt,
was canceled by PalmSource before it could reach the market.

Access, which bought PalmSource, has been developing a completely new
PalmOS based on Linux, named ALP. It has not reached production yet
and, unless something concrete pops up, it is still vapourware.

Adding to the confusion, Palm Inc chose not to license ALP from Access
and decided to build its own new OS based on Linux. For obvious
reasons this OS and ALP will not be compatible with each other.

Currently I do not want to strugle with the aging PalmOS
5. Regarding the two promises based on Linux, it is too soon to know
which (if any) will see the light of the day. When/if it happens,
I will probably take a look.

I decided to develop Plua in the first place because: I liked Lua,
there was nothing like it for PalmOS and, of course, I had a PalmOS
device. Until I see a concrete and affordable Linux based device here
where I live, I can only wonder.

Regards,
Marcio.

Re: What now ?

abm0000abm-2
(Forgive me if this is a duplicate---I think my first attempt at
posting didn't work)

Marcio,

I've mentioned before, but let me mention again how much I appreciate
your development of Plua and the fact that you have released it for
free.  It is one of the highest quality Palm programs (free and
commercial) that I have used over the past 10 years.

In light of your thoughts about PalmOS 5, I was wondering if you would
reconsider your thoughts about making Plua open source.  Barring that
would you consider allowing selected people access to the code base in
return for a non-disclosure agreement?

I have off and on been working on a port of Lua to Palm, mostly for
5.1, but a few other things as well.  Obviously it's a huge effort to
create yet another version from scratch and it would be nice not to
have to do so.

In any regards,  let me reiterate that I do appreciate all the effort
you've put into Plua.

Matt