What is your favorite Lua GUI toolkit?

RE: What is your favorite Lua GUI toolkit?

Antonio Scuri
> The one significant problem with IUP is that I've found it very hard to
> build (and it doesn't seem to be present in Debian as a standard
> package, whereas lua-gtk is).  They use a home-grown build system that
> unfortunately doesn't seem to work very well when I've tried it.

  Working on that.

  Our build system is Just a GNU make makefile. In the past we were more
complicated, even using just that. But in recent releases that system is
getting simpler. We have been focusing in the "just type make" approach. And
we had very good results since 3.3.

  One very interesting thing that happen with the 3.3 version was that a
person build a binding to Perl. And the Perl community have a pool of
servers so you can build your code is several different systems. Since IUP
is not included in the system, his tests also included building IUP for
those systems. So we learned a lot, because the feedback was great.

  IUP 3.4 will be released as soon as SourceForge unblock the CVS services.

Best Regards,
Antonio Scuri

Re: What is your favorite Lua GUI toolkit?

Miles Bader-2
"Antonio Scuri" <[hidden email]> writes:
>   IUP 3.4 will be released as soon as SourceForge unblock the CVS services.

Thanks for the note.  It sounds like it's time to give IUP another try...

-miles

--
=====
(^o^;
*This is the cute octopus virus, please copy it into your sig so it can spread.

Re: What is your favorite Lua GUI toolkit?

Gaspard Bucher
I am using Qt for Lubyk. Integration is done lazily when needs arise (hey, I need TableView, ok, ...) and I am *very* happy to have chosen this framework: it looks nice, supports drawing widgets (labels, buttons, etc) on top of OpenGL (not an easy one), and it is easy to understand and customize.

I staid away from Qt until it moved to LGPL. With the new license, people can invest in both commercial (closed source) and research (open source) projects using the same tools, (lubyk libraries are loaded at runtime anyway, so there is no need to worry about the LGPL issues when creating a static build).

Just a couple of days ago, I realized I needed a good help browser in Lubyk and saw that I can simply use webkit through Qt. This is something that I truly appreciate from a mature library: I am not the first one with need xyz and I can focus on my own work instead of fighting with the limitations of the GUI library.

Gaspard

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 11:28 AM, mauro iazzi <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 10 February 2011 05:04, Tim Mensch <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Strictly speaking, you can use an LGPL library in a commercial product,
> but it places restrictions that some companies are uncomfortable with
> (you must allow reverse engineering and relinking of your application)
> and that are completely verboten on some platforms (like any console or
> handheld video game unit, which pretty universally prohibit any reverse
> engineering in their licenses).

There are a lot of commercial products based on Qt, so the possibility
is not theoretical. None of the platform you cite are targets for Qt
so what does this have to do with the Lua bindings?

> The general consensus (for non-open-source software) is that such an
> LGPLed lib needs to be in a dynamic library so that an end user can
> build their own version and link it in. On platforms like Android or
> iPhone it gets very fuzzy how one could actually comply with LGPL in a
> commercial app, and as such I avoid source tainted by it, but I know
> others feel differently.

Again Android and iPhone are not targets of Qt. If you don't want to
touch the LGPL you surely can, but it allows commercial development,
and not in a purely theoretical way, because several commercial
applications have been created with LGPL dependencies.

In short. If GTK was an option for you, Qt can be because it has the
same license.
Regards,

mauro

Re: What is your favorite Lua GUI toolkit?

Iñigo Serna

On 10 February 2011 19:28, Steve Litt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thursday 10 February 2011 06:56:22 Iñigo Serna wrote:
>> Gtk+ and lgob [1].
>>
>> I don't understand why lgob isn't more popular. I'ts quite easy and
>> very powerful.
>>
>> [1] http://oproj.tuxfamily.org/wiki/doku.php?id=lgob
>>
>> Regards,
>> Iñigo Serna
>
> Probably it's not used more because of the anemic documentation. Most folks
> aren't willing to spend learning time on something they can't read enough
> about to find out if it will do the job, and something they can't RTFM.

Of course, there isn't much documentation, but only with the gtk+ docs
and the examples provided in the package it's quite easy to do complex
interfaces.
Afaik lgob is a one-man project, but its author, Lucas Hermann Negri,
is very friendly. Even he has added some features I needed when I
requested them.

Note that I'm a lgob user only, a quite happy user in fact, not
related with its development.
My intentions is to point to this project as I think it deserves more attention.

Regards,
Iñigo Serna

Re: What is your favorite Lua GUI toolkit?

Ryan Pusztai
Hi,

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 7:57 AM, Iñigo Serna <[hidden email]> wrote:
Of course, there isn't much documentation, but only with the gtk+ docs
and the examples provided in the package it's quite easy to do complex
interfaces.
Afaik lgob is a one-man project, but its author, Lucas Hermann Negri,
is very friendly. Even he has added some features I needed when I
requested them.

Note that I'm a lgob user only, a quite happy user in fact, not
related with its development.
My intentions is to point to this project as I think it deserves more attention.

Is this usable on Windows? Just looking for a cross-platform solution and IUP and wxLua are the 2 best I have found.
Ryan

Re: What is your favorite Lua GUI toolkit?

Lucas Hermann Negri
On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 1:54 PM, Ryan Pusztai <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 7:57 AM, Iñigo Serna <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Of course, there isn't much documentation, but only with the gtk+ docs
>> and the examples provided in the package it's quite easy to do complex
>> interfaces.
>> Afaik lgob is a one-man project, but its author, Lucas Hermann Negri,
>> is very friendly. Even he has added some features I needed when I
>> requested them.
>>
>> Note that I'm a lgob user only, a quite happy user in fact, not
>> related with its development.
>> My intentions is to point to this project as I think it deserves more
>> attention.
>
> Is this usable on Windows? Just looking for a cross-platform solution and
> IUP and wxLua are the 2 best I have found.
> --
> Regards,
> Ryan

Hi,

It runs fine in Windows too, but the binaries are outdated. I will
provide new binaries soon (where soon = in math.random(1,15) days).

As Iñigo Serna already pointed, lgob maintains the original GTK+ API
where possible. The main differences are published in is tiny
documentation [1]. There are more than 70 examples in the bundle,
covering many parts of the API.

[1] http://oproj.tuxfamily.org/wiki/doku.php?id=lgob:manual

http://oproj.tuxfamily.org

Re: What is your favorite Lua GUI toolkit?

Steve Litt
On Friday 11 February 2011 11:11:50 Lucas wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It runs fine in Windows too, but the binaries are outdated. I will
> provide new binaries soon (where soon = in math.random(1,15) days).
>
> As Iñigo Serna already pointed, lgob maintains the original GTK+ API
> where possible. The main differences are published in is tiny
> documentation [1]. There are more than 70 examples in the bundle,
> covering many parts of the API.
>
> [1] http://oproj.tuxfamily.org/wiki/doku.php?id=lgob:manual

Who's the maintainer of lgob?

SteveT

Steve Litt
Recession Relief Package
http://www.recession-relief.US

Re: What is your favorite Lua GUI toolkit?

Romulo
On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 16:08, Steve Litt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Friday 11 February 2011 11:11:50 Lucas wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> It runs fine in Windows too, but the binaries are outdated. I will
>> provide new binaries soon (where soon = in math.random(1,15) days).
>>
>> As Iñigo Serna already pointed, lgob maintains the original GTK+ API
>> where possible. The main differences are published in is tiny
>> documentation [1]. There are more than 70 examples in the bundle,
>> covering many parts of the API.
>>
>> [1] http://oproj.tuxfamily.org/wiki/doku.php?id=lgob:manual
>
> Who's the maintainer of lgob?

Himself, Lucas Hermann Negri.

--rb

Re: What is your favorite Lua GUI toolkit?

Chris Babcock
On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 1:10 AM, Gaspard Bucher <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Just a couple of days ago, I realized I needed a good help browser in Lubyk
> and saw that I can simply use webkit through Qt. This is something that I
> truly appreciate from a mature library

I've got a friend whose programing toolkit consists of his personal
Scheme implementation and static linking Qt to his project. He makes
his living writing programs for large to mid-sized companies in his
part of the world. Whatever time he spends on honest work translating
the business model into Scheme is padded to the extreme by using
webkit to render the HTML as part of the final the UI and over billing
his time for porting the work to other platforms. The end result is a
miracle of social engineering that keeps him happily inebriated for
most of his waking hours. ;)

Chris
51st century guy

Re: What is your favorite Lua GUI toolkit?

Doug Currie
>  IUP 3.4 will be released as soon as SourceForge unblock the CVS services.

The overview page "availability" section lists

        • UNIX (SunOS, IRIX, and AIX) using Motif 2.x
        • UNIX (FreeBSD and Linux) using GTK+ (since 3.0)

the download tips "Available Platforms" includes

    Mac OS X 10.6 (x64) [Snow Leopard] / Darwin Kernel 10 / gcc 4.2

There are no Mac specific 3.3 files on SourceForge.

How well will 3.4 perform/look on Mac OS X?

Are there any Mac OS X improvements over previous versions (where I seem to have heard that installation on Mac was difficult)?

Thanks!

Lucas <[hidden email]> writes:
> As Iñigo Serna already pointed, lgob maintains the original GTK+ API
> where possible. The main differences are published in is tiny
> documentation [1]. There are more than 70 examples in the bundle,
> covering many parts of the API.

Does it provide the _exact_ GTK+ C API, or does it do "obvious"
cleanups, removing redundancies/warts which are only necessary because
of the C API's implementation in C?

lua-gtk does the latter, basically a "thin" cleanup of the C interface
(which I think is largely done automatically); the result is very
similar to gtkmm (so I actually learned lua-gtk by reading docs and
examples written for gtkmm!).

For instance in "raw" GTK+, you might say:

   gtk_range_set_increments (GTK_RANGE (thing), 1, 1)

but in lua-gtk, you do:

   thing:set_increments (1, 1)

[The redundant prefix is removed from the method name, and of course the
superclass cast is automatic.]

I really like this "cleaned up" interface; it's still very close to
GTK+'s C interface (so one can use the same docs, applying the obvious
transformations in one's head), but more pleasant to use.

Thanks,

-Miles

--
Cat, n. A soft, indestructible automaton provided by nature to be kicked when
things go wrong in the domestic circle.

RE: What is your favorite Lua GUI toolkit?

Antonio Scuri

  IUP for MacOSX uses GTK. A person started a native Cocoa driver, but help
is needed. It is a lot of work.

  We tried to use GTK for MacOS using native API but it was incomplete and
unstable. Also this installation is VERY difficult.

  So we are using GTK for MacOS using X11. To build that we use Fink. This
installation is a little bit difficult, but we wrote a guide in the IUP GTK
driver documentation.

  I can't tell you about performance because I only tested small
applications. But it works ok, as GTK works ok in that configuration.

  The binaries for 3.3 are not there because I was not able to put my hands
on, or remote login in, a Mac. I hope to change that for 3.4.

Best Regards,
Antonio Scuri

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 11:57 PM, Miles Bader <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Lucas <[hidden email]> writes:
>> As Iñigo Serna already pointed, lgob maintains the original GTK+ API
>> where possible. The main differences are published in is tiny
>> documentation [1]. There are more than 70 examples in the bundle,
>> covering many parts of the API.
>
> Does it provide the _exact_ GTK+ C API, or does it do "obvious"
> cleanups, removing redundancies/warts which are only necessary because
> of the C API's implementation in C?
>
> lua-gtk does the latter, basically a "thin" cleanup of the C interface
> (which I think is largely done automatically); the result is very
> similar to gtkmm (so I actually learned lua-gtk by reading docs and
> examples written for gtkmm!).
>
> For instance in "raw" GTK+, you might say:
>
>   gtk_range_set_increments (GTK_RANGE (thing), 1, 1)
>
> but in lua-gtk, you do:
>
>   thing:set_increments (1, 1)
>
> [The redundant prefix is removed from the method name, and of course the
> superclass cast is automatic.]
>
> I really like this "cleaned up" interface; it's still very close to
> GTK+'s C interface (so one can use the same docs, applying the obvious
> transformations in one's head), but more pleasant to use.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Miles
>
> --
> Cat, n. A soft, indestructible automaton provided by nature to be kicked when
> things go wrong in the domestic circle.

It provides a 'nice' API, with the changes that you've mentioned, like

label = gtk.Label.new("My label")
label:set_text("new label")

It also provides other nice things, like GError handling and callbacks
with the userdata as first parameter to allow simplified usage of
member functions, automatic memory management and etc, all that you
would expect for a Lua library.

--
http://oproj.tuxfamily.org

1234