What is your favorite Lua GUI toolkit?

Steve Litt
Hi all,

What is your favorite Lua GUI toolkit?

Thanks

SteveT

Steve Litt
Recession Relief Package
http://www.recession-relief.US

Re: What is your favorite Lua GUI toolkit?

Enrico Colombini
On 08/02/2011 23.01, Steve Litt wrote:
> What is your favorite Lua GUI toolkit?

A few years ago I used WxWidgets through wxLua; the bindings were not as
complete as those for C++, but it was fully usable with little effort
and didn't have strange dependencies or build requirements, if I
remember well.

I don't know the current state of wxLua; it seems to be updated to May
2009, according to http://wxlua.sourceforge.net/

   Enrico

Re: What is your favorite Lua GUI toolkit?

Gabriel Duarte
GTK+ :D

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 8:26 PM, Enrico Colombini <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 08/02/2011 23.01, Steve Litt wrote:
What is your favorite Lua GUI toolkit?

A few years ago I used WxWidgets through wxLua; the bindings were not as complete as those for C++, but it was fully usable with little effort and didn't have strange dependencies or build requirements, if I remember well.

I don't know the current state of wxLua; it seems to be updated to May 2009, according to http://wxlua.sourceforge.net/

--
 Enrico

--
Gabriel Duarte
Linux User #471185
Rio de Janeiro - RJ
http://w3.impa.br/~gabrield

Phones:
(55) (21) 9463-7760  -> Mobile
(55) (21) 2529-5080  -> Work

On Tuesday 08 February 2011 17:32:23 Gabriel Duarte wrote:
> GTK+ :D

How do you do it?

SteveT

uki

Re: What is your favorite Lua GUI toolkit?

uki

termbox
'console gui' counts, right? ;)

Łukasz Gruner

Re: What is your favorite Lua GUI toolkit?

Gabriel Duarte
This way:

If you're using Ubuntu/Debian, there is a package avaliable through apt-get :D

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 9:04 PM, Steve Litt <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tuesday 08 February 2011 17:32:23 Gabriel Duarte wrote:
> GTK+ :D

How do you do it?

SteveT

--
Gabriel Duarte
Linux User #471185

Phones:
(55) (21) 9463-7760  -> Mobile
(55) (21) 2529-5080  -> Work

Re: What is your favorite Lua GUI toolkit?

Michal Kottman
On Tue, 2011-02-08 at 17:01 -0500, Steve Litt wrote:
> What is your favorite Lua GUI toolkit?

Lqt, a Lua binding for the Qt framework, that I'm currently helping out
with - https://github.com/mkottman/lqt

Qt is not a simple framework, but once you get the basics, it's easy to
do some interesting things, like doing interactive 2D graphics, creating
a table editor on top of SQL data without the need to write a line of
SQLm, or creating a WebKit widget inside a larger GUI and filling it
with content generated for example by Orbiter....

Having the whole power of the framework available to Lua is very nice
indeed :)

Re: What is your favorite Lua GUI toolkit?

Rob Kendrick-2
On Tue, Feb 08, 2011 at 05:01:45PM -0500, Steve Litt wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> What is your favorite Lua GUI toolkit?

It would be ncurses, but nobody's written a binding for it yet that
doesn't make me want to spurt poisonous bile from my nipples.

B.

Re: What is your favorite Lua GUI toolkit?

Miles Bader-2
Wolfgang Oertl's lua-gtk is completely awesome.

[He now calls it "lua-gnome" because it supports other gnome libraries
now, not just GTK+]

http://lua-gtk.luaforge.net/en/index.html

-Miles

--
Dictionary, n.  A malevolent literary device for cramping the growth of
a language and making it hard and inelastic. This dictionary, however,
is a most useful work.

On Tuesday 08 February 2011 19:37:45 Rob Kendrick wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 08, 2011 at 05:01:45PM -0500, Steve Litt wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > What is your favorite Lua GUI toolkit?
>
> It would be ncurses, but nobody's written a binding for it yet that
> doesn't make me want to spurt poisonous bile from my nipples.

ncurses infuriates me because it's built so that Valgrind shows a memory leak
in ncurses apps, and the only way to fix it is to change something and
recompile. Whaaaaaat???

SteveT

Steve Litt
Recession Relief Package
http://www.recession-relief.US

Re: What is your favorite Lua GUI toolkit?

Rena
On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 17:44, Miles Bader <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Wolfgang Oertl's lua-gtk is completely awesome.
>
> [He now calls it "lua-gnome" because it supports other gnome libraries
> now, not just GTK+]
>
> http://lua-gtk.luaforge.net/en/index.html
>
> -Miles
>
> --
> Dictionary, n.  A malevolent literary device for cramping the growth of
> a language and making it hard and inelastic. This dictionary, however,
> is a most useful work.

Another +1 for lua-gnome AKA lua-gtk. GTK is a fantastic API and this
gives you a fantastic interface to it.

Sent from my toaster.

Re: What is your favorite Lua GUI toolkit?

Tom Skwara
Mine is the GUI Toolbox iPhone and iPad :)

http://www.mobileappsystems.com/

Sent from my iPhone

On Tuesday 08 February 2011 19:44:40 Miles Bader wrote:
> Wolfgang Oertl's lua-gtk is completely awesome.
>
> [He now calls it "lua-gnome" because it supports other gnome libraries
> now, not just GTK+]
>
> http://lua-gtk.luaforge.net/en/index.html
>
> -Miles

Thanks Miles,

I looked at that but it's waaaay more than I need or want. I don't want to
have to get down and dirty with hundreds of functions and components.
Conceptually I put up a window and lay down textboxes, dropboxes, checkboxes,
radio buttons and the like on it. I don't care whether I do it graphically or
with specifications, but I sure don't want to try to memorize hundreds of
functions to make a dialog box.

I would think that for each component you need to know:

* What type of component it is
* Where it lays on the window
* Its sequence number on the window
* Its hotkey
* How many characters it takes
* Callbacks
        - On keystroke
        - On entry
        - On exit/validation
Then the whole window has callbacks for start, accept and reject. I just don't
think it needs to be that complicated. I don't even think it has to be OOP --
callbacks sound good to me.

That's seriously all I need, and I can take it from there. I can do my own
LuaSQL calls. I can do all my own directory reads and I can make my own lists.
I don't want a "we do it all for you" framework because then I have to
memorize every dang function and component and building block.

Thanks

SteveT

Steve Litt
Recession Relief Package
http://www.recession-relief.US

Re: What is your favorite Lua GUI toolkit?

Jeff Pohlmeyer
On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 7:44 PM, Steve Litt wrote:

> Conceptually I put up a window and lay down textboxes, dropboxes,
> checkboxes, radio buttons and the like on it. I don't care whether I
> do it graphically or with specifications, but I sure don't want to try
> to memorize hundreds of  functions to make a dialog box.

I wrote a fairly simple dialog module as part of the Lua plugin for
Geany[1] (GTK), and a similar one that is now built-in to FXiTe[2]
(FOX). Either one could probably be compiled into a standalone module
without too much trouble.

You can find an overview here:
  http://plugins2.geany.org/geanylua/geanylua-input.html

I also have a FLTK implementation of it laying around here somewhere.

 - Jeff

[1] http://geany.org/
[2] http://code.google.com/p/fxite/

Steve Litt <[hidden email]> writes:
> I looked at that but it's waaaay more than I need or want. I don't want to
> have to get down and dirty with hundreds of functions and components.

You're not required to use all the functions a library provides... :]

However, you might like something like IUP better -- it takes better
advantage of Lua mechanisms to allow very easy specification of widget
layouts etc.

http://www.tecgraf.puc-rio.br/iup/

lua-gtk is not hard to use, but it basically just exports the underlying
libraries, which of course are aimed at lower-level languages.  [I do
think much of the difference is fairly mechanical, and it would be quite
easy to provide a nice IUP-style wrapper around much of lua-gtk.]

The one significant problem with IUP is that I've found it very hard to
build (and it doesn't seem to be present in Debian as a standard
package, whereas lua-gtk is).  They use a home-grown build system that
unfortunately doesn't seem to work very well when I've tried it.

-Miles

--
Circus, n. A place where horses, ponies and elephants are permitted to see
men, women and children acting the fool.

Re: What is your favorite Lua GUI toolkit?

云帆江
its fltk, but the current version seems not work well for CJK fonts

--
welcom to gtalk me
http://hi.baidu.com/jyf1987

Re: What is your favorite Lua GUI toolkit?

Stuart P. Bentley
?I'm all about IUP. As far as I'm concerned, it's the perfect interface
library.

Re: What is your favorite Lua GUI toolkit?

Marc Balmer

> What is your favorite Lua GUI toolkit?

OpenMotif.  With a Lua binding we did ourselves
(see http://www.vnode.ch/lua_gui)

Re: What is your favorite Lua GUI toolkit?

Dirk Laurie
On Wed, Feb 09, 2011 at 01:35:07AM +0200, Michal Kottman wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-02-08 at 17:01 -0500, Steve Litt wrote:
> > What is your favorite Lua GUI toolkit?
>
> Lqt, a Lua binding for the Qt framework, that I'm currently helping out
> with - https://github.com/mkottman/lqt
>
> Qt is not a simple framework, but once you get the basics, it's easy to
> do some interesting things

The question can be factored into two parts:
1. What is your favorite GUI toolkit?
2. Is there a good Lua front-end to it?

I agree with your assessment of Qt.  Plus, it's as close to being
platform-independent as GUI's get.  Great to hear about the Lua
port.  I'll try it out immediately.

Dirk

On Wed, Feb 09, 2011 at 03:44:02AM +0200, Steve Litt wrote:
> Conceptually I put up a window and lay down textboxes, dropboxes, checkboxes,
> radio buttons and the like on it. I don't care whether I do it graphically or
> with specifications, but I sure don't want to try to memorize hundreds of
> functions to make a dialog box.

What GUI were you using before getting into Lua?

D.

1234