Welcome back, Lua on iPhone :-)

Pierre-Yves Gérardy
The infamous section 3.3.2 now reads

> Unless otherwise approved by Apple in writing, no interpreted
> code may be downloaded or used in an Application except for
> code that is interpreted and run by Apple’s Documented APIs
> and built-in interpreter(s). Notwithstanding the foregoing, with
> Apple’s prior written consent, an Application may use embedded
> interpreted code in a limited way if such use is solely for providing
> minor features or functionality that are consistent with the intended
> and advertised purpose of the Application.

This means that games using Lua scripting are legal again (assuming
you get the green light from Steve's minions).

Source: http://www.appleoutsider.com/2010/06/10/hello-lua/

-- Pierre-Yves

Re: Welcome back, Lua on iPhone :-)

KHMan
Pierre-Yves Gérardy wrote:

> The infamous section 3.3.2 now reads
>
>> Unless otherwise approved by Apple in writing, no interpreted
>> code may be downloaded or used in an Application except for
>> code that is interpreted and run by Apple’s Documented APIs
>> and built-in interpreter(s). Notwithstanding the foregoing, with
>> Apple’s prior written consent, an Application may use embedded
>> interpreted code in a limited way if such use is solely for providing
>> minor features or functionality that are consistent with the intended
>> and advertised purpose of the Application.
>
> This means that games using Lua scripting are legal again (assuming
> you get the green light from Steve's minions).
>
> Source: http://www.appleoutsider.com/2010/06/10/hello-lua/

But I haven't heard anyone rejected for using Lua -- it would
likely have been reported in one of those virtual IT gossip rags.
Was anybody? Interested in any credible reports.

Altogether too predictable. :-) Welcome to an ecosystem controlled
by sales and marketing taken to its logical extreme. Should we
take IT advice from a car salesman? Those who jump in, please do
so with your eyes open.

Kein-Hong Man (esq.)
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Re[2]: Welcome back, Lua on iPhone :-)

Bulat Ziganshin
Hello KHMan,

Friday, June 11, 2010, 10:41:46 AM, you wrote:

> But I haven't heard anyone rejected for using Lua -- it would
> likely have been reported in one of those virtual IT gossip rags.
> Was anybody? Interested in any credible reports.

i think that their goal was to prohibit any program development
ecosystem outside of their own APIs (and in particular Flash).
original rules was too restrictive to do it, but they not used these
rules actually when making the decisions. it was just an attempt to
describe developers how they make decisions. now they changed the
description but actual filtering wasn't changed at all

--
Best regards,