We are the one percent

joao lobato
http://slashdot.org/poll/2417/most-useful-scripting-language-to-learn

Shame about the "LUA" business, though. I expected more from /.

Re: We are the one percent

Miles Bader-2
joao lobato <[hidden email]> writes:
> http://slashdot.org/poll/2417/most-useful-scripting-language-to-learn
>
> Shame about the "LUA" business, though. I expected more from /.

It's not surprising -- Lua is a great language but still it's quite
niche compared to shell-scripts (on a unix system), perl, javascript,
python etc.

>From the point of view of "what's the best language to learn?",
answering based on popularity (as opposed to something like "merit")
is reasonable, because learning a popular language can result in more
opportunities (more existing projects use it, more employers use it,
etc).

OTOH, it's sort of a boring story because of that.... the poll results
just sort of repeat the obvious...

-miles

--
Sabbath, n. A weekly festival having its origin in the fact that God made the
world in six days and was arrested on the seventh.

Re: We are the one percent

云帆江
Most script guys learnt lots of scripting lang, so i am not suprising
this results

for me, i use Python prime at work, but sometimes lua for embeding things,
like in redis2.6, or nginx with lua supporting module

but when learning the language, i think the book "Programming in Lua"
helps me so much to know the magic or tricks underground, while other
programming lang's tutorial or book dont. they just told the rule, while
the lua book told the meta rule , and shows how to use these meta rule
to generate your rules.

(Maybe its just that lua has so less concept to tech, so the author
needs to get some padding things, :] , joking)

BTW, if the author could add some vm internal things in the book, will
helps more

On Tue, Aug 07, 2012 at 03:39:01AM +0100, joao lobato wrote:
> http://slashdot.org/poll/2417/most-useful-scripting-language-to-learn
>
> Shame about the "LUA" business, though. I expected more from /.

cheers
    Yunfan Jiang
    {'nick':['jyf', 'geek42'], 'im': {'gtalk': '[hidden email]', 'irc': 'irc.freenode.net#ubuntu-cn'}, 'blog': 'http://geek42.info', 'interesting': {'teck': ['linux', 'python', 'lua', 'forth', 'c', 'nosql', 'redis', 'nginx'], 'history': ['chinese history',], 'sf': [42,], 'music': ['NewAge style', 'chinese old theme', 'Any strange music']}}

Re: We are the one percent

g.lister
This may sound odd to some but I like very much things in the 1% I think
trying to please 99% is very hard and when it comes to software that
means lots of compromises and a bloated API and code base.

Granted I am no LUA expert have only read a book from Wrox. I have to
say I love it :) and plan on using it.

It is small enough to really master all things should one invest the
time to do so and it feels a really sweet niche with its interplay with
C and C++ code. Giving one easy extensibility for things written in
those language ... that's a lot of things.

I guess the reason I say I like the 1% is because it does not involve
trying to accommodate everyone's wish list and a huge luggage of
backward compatibility that keeps you constraint to an implementation, I
like things small like the Twisted book (python twisted), but then again
I like Erlang and it is not the most popular either if you go to one of
the language polls.

C also does not score very high, in the compiled crowd, but heck almost
everything is written with it or ends up running a piece of code in it
at one point or another to get things done. Don't know enough assembly
for a "hello world" even, but I bet that is getting good use too... ;)
... still.

I put in my vote even though I have to say I like many of the other
scripting languages too, a slightly bigger 1% is better :D.

Best to everyone and thank you for the language.
Cheers,
george