Unofficial new project

Curt Carpenter
Blizzard's World of Warcraft. From
http://www.blizzard.com/wow/fansitechat-040205.shtml:

[LisaB.PR] Will players be able to customize their interface?
[Katricia] Yes, you can drag and resize chat windows and later on we
hope to enable dragging for other windows in the game as well ...
[Katricia] For those more technical types you can completely customize
and change the interface using XML and Lua scripting ...
[Katricia] we expect users to create custom interfaces for PvP,
tradeskilling, guild skins, specific classes etc.

Before anyone asks, no, I don't know anything else. :-)

Curt

Re: Unofficial new project

Eric Tetz-2
--- Curt Carpenter <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [Katricia] For those more technical types you can
> completely customize and change the interface
> using XML and Lua scripting ...

Seems a little wierd to use XML and Lua together
like that. Isn't the XML interpreter redundant?

http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html

RE: Unofficial new project

Nick Trout
> Seems a little wierd to use XML and Lua together
> like that. Isn't the XML interpreter redundant?

Structured data could be stored in Lua or XML, but there are a fair few
XML editors and viewers out there. For example you can edit XML in Excel
in tabular form, whereas you'd have to write something to do this with
Lua.

Re: Unofficial new project

Jan-Eric Duden
Yep. Very nice. I hope they use LUA for all the scripting and not just for
the GUI.
The scripting language JASS which they used for Warcraft III is really a
pain in the a** to work with.

Jan-Eric Duden

Object based scripting integration

Robert Sadedin
Hey guys,

I'm sure, in one way or another, this has been asked a million times,
and if it's too annoying or boring, don't bother answering :).

Basically, I can setup simple scripting integration with my c++ code
calling static methods very easily (kudos to Lua).

What I'd like to be able to do, is run a game scripting
system where all the code is written in lua, but all the object
construction is handled in my c++ code.

ie, you call call something like:
obj = createMyObject()
This returns, I guess, a table with functions and variables set from
the c++ object that the call created.

Can I somehow magically make it so that a call to obj:getSomeResult(),
from Lua, will lookup the c++ object that has been set in the table and call the
function it's linked to?  Can I set this relationship up when
createMyObject is called simply, without too much overhead?

I guess I'm asking for a mapping between an object (not a class, an
instance) created in c++, and LUA, and then being able to manipulate
that object through LUA and also preferably through c++, all values
and functions being taken into account.

Re: Object based scripting integration

Jamie Webb-3
On Sunday 08 February 2004 00:24, Rob Sadedin wrote:
> I guess I'm asking for a mapping between an object (not a class, an
> instance) created in c++, and LUA, and then being able to manipulate
> that object through LUA and also preferably through c++, all values
> and functions being taken into account.

See the C++ section of http://lua-users.org/wiki/BindingCodeToLua

RE: Object based scripting integration

Kevin Baca-2
Some of the info on the wiki will probably be helpful:

http://lua-users.org/wiki/

At the bottom of the page click on "Find Page" and do a full search for
"cpp".  It should turn up several pages with info on binding c++ objects
to lua.

-Kevin

Mike Clifton
Also, tolua (or even better, tolua++) work really well.

http://www.codenix.com/~tolua/