Trivial pointers result in unregistered class

Trivial pointers result in unregistered class

Daniel Walter
Hi folks,

I have a struct with some pointers to trivial datatypes like this:

struct A {
     int* x;
     int* y;
};

I bound it to lua like this:

luabind::module(L)
[
      luabind::class_<A>("A")
     .def_readonly("x", &A::x)
     .def_readonly("y", &A::y)
];

If I am using this class in my lua script the runtime throws this
exception: "Trying to use unregistered class"
I managed this using a getter function returning the dereferenced
pointer, but there must be a better way.

The same exception happens when i am using such an trivial pointer directly:

int* x = new int(42);
luabind::globals(L)["x"] = x;

How to handle this? What i am missing?

Thanks in advance,
Daniel

Re: Trivial pointers result in unregistered class

voodooRod
give boost:ref a try...

luabind::globals(L)["x"] = boost::ref(x);

On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 10:41 AM, Daniel Walter <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

hi rod,
thank you for your answer.
what about the struct "A" in my example? In my project I can not change
struct "A" to use boost::ref or any getters. Of course, I could write a
wrapper class, but this hurts.

Is there any other way?

On 18.06.2013 18:17, rod haxton wrote:

> give boost:ref a try...
>
> luabind::globals(L)["x"] = boost::ref(x);
>

> On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 10:41 AM, Daniel Walter
> wrote:
>
>     Hi folks,
>
>     I have a struct with some pointers to trivial datatypes like this:
>
>     struct A {
>           int* x;
>           int* y;
>     };
>
>     I bound it to lua like this:
>
>     luabind::module(L)
>     [
>            luabind::class_<A>("A")
>           .def_readonly("x", &A::x)
>           .def_readonly("y", &A::y)
>     ];
>
>     If I am using this class in my lua script the runtime throws this
>     exception: "Trying to use unregistered class"
>     I managed this using a getter function returning the dereferenced
>     pointer, but there must be a better way.
>
>     The same exception happens when i am using such an trivial pointer
>     directly:
>
>     int* x = new int(42);
>     luabind::globals(L)["x"] = x;
>
>     How to handle this? What i am missing?
>
>     Thanks in advance,
>     Daniel

> Build for Windows Store.
>
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/windows-dev2dev

Re: Trivial pointers result in unregistered class

voodooRod
Take a look at this. I do this and it works with a boost::ref on class, see "FooManager".

I know...I know...I hate when folks give you a lot of code to look at for an example. But, perhaps you can glean something from looking at the "FooManager" class, and see that I assign it as a global.

//The registrate function takes a Class
// name and lua_State, then calls its registrate method
template <typename T>
void registrate(lua_State *pLuaState) {
T::registrate(pLuaState);
}

class FooManager
{
public:
FooManager() {};
~FooManager() {};

void addComponent(IFoo* pFoo) { m_iFooVector.push_back(pFoo); }
IFoo* getComponent(int nIndex) { return m_iFooVector[nIndex]; }

static void registrate(lua_State *pLuaState)
{
luabind::module(pLuaState) [
luabind::class_<FooManager>("FooManager")
.def(luabind::constructor<>())
.def("getComponent", (IFoo*(FooManager::*) (int)) &FooManager::getComponent)
];
}

void doAwake(void)
{
for(std::vector<IFoo*>::iterator it = m_iFooVector.begin(); it != m_iFooVector.end(); it++)
{
IFoo *pIFoo = *it;
pIFoo->Awake();

void doUpdate(void)
{
for(std::vector<IFoo*>::iterator it = m_iFooVector.begin(); it != m_iFooVector.end(); it++)
{
IFoo *pIFoo = *it;
pIFoo->update();

private:
std::vector<IFoo*> m_iFooVector;
};

int main()
{
lua_State *myLuaState = luaL_newstate();

// Connect LuaBind to this lua state
luabind::open(myLuaState);

// open the lua libraries
luaL_openlibs(myLuaState);

// register the luaBind classes
registrate<IFoo>(myLuaState);
registrate<Foo>(myLuaState);
registrate<Foo2>(myLuaState);
registrate<FooManager>(myLuaState);

// create all the objects
Foo *pFoo = new Foo("Rod's Test: 1-2-3!", myLuaState);
Foo2 *pFoo2 = new Foo2("Zimba", myLuaState);
FooManager* pfooManager = new FooManager();

pfooManager->addComponent(pFoo);
pfooManager->addComponent(pFoo2);
// set object manager global
luabind::globals(myLuaState)["fooManager"] = boost::ref(pfooManager);

//reh 16jun13 the Game Manager will also pass the Instigator to the call, i.e., doAwake(theInstigator). This way the object has the object interacting with it.
pfooManager->doAwake();
pfooManager->doUpdate();

lua_close(myLuaState);

// clean up
delete pFoo;
delete pFoo2;

return 0;
}

On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 12:42 PM, Daniel Walter <[hidden email]> wrote:
hi rod,
thank you for your answer.
what about the struct "A" in my example? In my project I can not change
struct "A" to use boost::ref or any getters. Of course, I could write a
wrapper class, but this hurts.

Is there any other way?

On 18.06.2013 18:17, rod haxton wrote:
> give boost:ref a try...
>
> luabind::globals(L)["x"] = boost::ref(x);
>

> On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 10:41 AM, Daniel Walter
> wrote:
>
>     Hi folks,
>
>     I have a struct with some pointers to trivial datatypes like this:
>
>     struct A {
>           int* x;
>           int* y;
>     };
>
>     I bound it to lua like this:
>
>     luabind::module(L)
>     [
>            luabind::class_<A>("A")
>           .def_readonly("x", &A::x)
>           .def_readonly("y", &A::y)
>     ];
>
>     If I am using this class in my lua script the runtime throws this
>     exception: "Trying to use unregistered class"
>     I managed this using a getter function returning the dereferenced
>     pointer, but there must be a better way.
>
>     The same exception happens when i am using such an trivial pointer
>     directly:
>
>     int* x = new int(42);
>     luabind::globals(L)["x"] = x;
>
>     How to handle this? What i am missing?
>
>     Thanks in advance,
>     Daniel

> Build for Windows Store.
>
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/windows-dev2dev

Re: Trivial pointers result in unregistered class

Daniel Walter
I think this does not fit my needs. "FooManager" does not have any
public pointers that need to be accessed directly by lua. You are
accessing your pointers through "getComponent" function.

Can you expose "m_iFooVector" with something like this:
".def_readonly("iFooVector", &FooManager::m_iFooVector,
luabind::return_stl_iterator)"

And then iterate and access it in your lua script?

for foo in fooManager.iFooVector do
        print(foo.AnyField)
end

On 18.06.2013 19:01, rod haxton wrote:

> [...]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>      > https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/luabind-user
>      >
>      >
>      >
>      >
>      >
>      >
>      > Build for Windows Store.
>      >
>      > http://p.sf.net/sfu/windows-dev2dev
>      >
>      >
>      >
>      > luabind-user mailing list
>      > [hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>
>      > https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/luabind-user
>      >

> Build for Windows Store.
>
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/windows-dev2dev

Re: Trivial pointers result in unregistered class

Can you try...

void setA(int nVal) { A = &nVal; }
int* getA(void) const { return A; }

static void registrate(lua_State *pLuaState)
{
// export our class with LuaBind
luabind::module(pLuaState) [
luabind::class_<Foo>("Foo")
.property("A", &Foo::getVal, &Foo::setVal)
];
}

public:
int *A;

LUA Script...

a = Foo.A
Foo.A = 10

On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 1:11 PM, Daniel Walter <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>     <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>      > https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/luabind-user
>      >
>      >
>      >
>      >
>      >
>      >
>      > Build for Windows Store.
>      >
>      > http://p.sf.net/sfu/windows-dev2dev
>      >
>      >
>      >
>      > luabind-user mailing list
>      > [hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>
>      > https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/luabind-user
>      >

> Build for Windows Store.
>
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/windows-dev2dev

Re: Trivial pointers result in unregistered class

Szulak
>> Daniel Walter <daniel.walter <at> helmundwalter.de> writes:

Hey there,

Did you solve your problem? I am having the same problem, used additional
getter to get dereferenced value, but as you said, there must be a better way.

Regards,
Szulak