Timeline for printed 5.2 manual?

Mauro Iazzi
Hi list,
I have a question for the developers but I think the answer will be
interesting to everyone.
Is there any hint on when the manual for Lua 5.2 will appear in
printed form? In the case 5.1 it happened a bit after 5.1.1, can we
expect something similar or do you plan to wait for a bit more
proofreading and field deployment of 5.2?
Thanks,
mauro

downalod the pdf version of the 5.2 manual

yoyomeltz yoyomeltz

really, how lame can Lua be.
i cannot even download a pdf of the reference manual from the Lua website.
i did find a pdf version at:
http://www.mobileappsystems.com/support/downloads
http://www.mobileappsystems.com/sites/default/files/field/files/Lua%205.2%20Reference%20Manual.pdf

to all, so much of documentation are .chm, from the windows-3.11 decades ago, for windows systems, not linux.
many will not load correctly with windows 7.

this is a real shame, what good is a language with no reference manual and decades old .chm files?
strange but true...

> Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 10:50:03 +0200
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Timeline for printed 5.2 manual?
>
> Hi list,
> I have a question for the developers but I think the answer will be
> interesting to everyone.
> Is there any hint on when the manual for Lua 5.2 will appear in
> printed form? In the case 5.1 it happened a bit after 5.1.1, can we
> expect something similar or do you plan to wait for a bit more
> proofreading and field deployment of 5.2?
> Thanks,
> mauro

Re: downalod the pdf version of the 5.2 manual

Coda Highland
> this is a real shame, what good is a language with no reference manual and decades old .chm files?
> strange but true...

I don't know what you're talking about.

http://www.lua.org/manual/5.2/

Perfectly good online manual.

/s/ Adam

RE: downalod the pdf version of the 5.2 manual

yoyomeltz yoyomeltz

hi,
what is it that you are not capable of understanding?
what i wrote seems clear to me.

let me paraphrase.
if there exists refman-5.0.pdf, why not a 5.2 version?

as for .chm files here are a few examples.
iup-3.5_Docs.chm
cd-5.4.1_Docs.chm
im-3.6.3_Docs.chm
lua5_1_4_Docs.chm

> Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 12:21:21 -0500
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: downalod the pdf version of the 5.2 manual
>
> > this is a real shame, what good is a language with no reference manual and decades old .chm files?
> > strange but true...
>
> I don't know what you're talking about.
>
> http://www.lua.org/manual/5.2/
>
> Perfectly good online manual.
>
> /s/ Adam

Re: downalod the pdf version of the 5.2 manual

Preston Sumner
On Jun 25, 2012, at 11:38 AM, yoyomeltz yoyomeltz wrote:

> hi,
> what is it that you are not capable of understanding?
> what i wrote seems clear to me.
>
> let me paraphrase.
> if there exists refman-5.0.pdf, why not a 5.2 version?
>
> as for .chm files here are a few examples.
> iup-3.5_Docs.chm
> cd-5.4.1_Docs.chm
> im-3.6.3_Docs.chm
> lua5_1_4_Docs.chm

The manual is available online. It is easily printed to a PDF.

Preston

Re: downalod the pdf version of the 5.2 manual

Coda Highland
On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 12:38 PM, yoyomeltz yoyomeltz
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> hi,
> what is it that you are not capable of understanding?
> what i wrote seems clear to me.
>
> let me paraphrase.
> if there exists refman-5.0.pdf, why not a 5.2 version?
>
> as for .chm files here are a few examples.
> iup-3.5_Docs.chm
> cd-5.4.1_Docs.chm
> im-3.6.3_Docs.chm
> lua5_1_4_Docs.chm

(Please don't top-post. Mailing list etiquette says to put your reply
UNDERNEATH the content you're responding to.)

You said "what good is a language with no reference manual"? This is
what I was responding to: clearly, Lua has a reference manual.

Boo hoo if it's not a PDF file. Print
http://www.lua.org/manual/5.2/manual.html to a file or something. Or
just save the HTML file so the hyperlinks still work. It's really not
that hard.

/s/ Adam

RE: downalod the pdf version of the 5.2 manual

yoyomeltz yoyomeltz

> Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 12:46:26 -0500
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: downalod the pdf version of the 5.2 manual
>
> On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 12:38 PM, yoyomeltz yoyomeltz
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > hi,
> > what is it that you are not capable of understanding?
> > what i wrote seems clear to me.
> >
> > let me paraphrase.
> > if there exists refman-5.0.pdf, why not a 5.2 version?
> >
> > as for .chm files here are a few examples.
> > iup-3.5_Docs.chm
> > cd-5.4.1_Docs.chm
> > im-3.6.3_Docs.chm
> > lua5_1_4_Docs.chm
>
> (Please don't top-post. Mailing list etiquette says to put your reply
> UNDERNEATH the content you're responding to.)
>
> You said "what good is a language with no reference manual"? This is
> what I was responding to: clearly, Lua has a reference manual.
>
> Boo hoo if it's not a PDF file. Print
> http://www.lua.org/manual/5.2/manual.html to a file or something. Or
> just save the HTML file so the hyperlinks still work. It's really not
> that hard.
>
> /s/ Adam

thanks for the etiquette lesson, i will not top-post again.

Re: Timeline for printed 5.2 manual?

> I have a question for the developers but I think the answer will be
> interesting to everyone.
> Is there any hint on when the manual for Lua 5.2 will appear in
> printed form? In the case 5.1 it happened a bit after 5.1.1, can we
> expect something similar or do you plan to wait for a bit more
> proofreading and field deployment of 5.2?

Mainly we have to get some free time to do a proper formatting and
fill the bureaucracy (ISBN, etc.).

-- Roberto