The future of plua

Bugzilla from lars.gold@gmail.com
I am wondering what the plua team has in store for the future, given
the demise of PalmOS and the new linux based system, will you guys try
to port plua to LAM or will it be slowly let to die (well 68k programs
will still run in LAM it seems) and we'll have to wait and hope to see
any of the Linux LUA implementations come out with libraries to hook
into the LAM stack?

Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: The future of plua

migueletto
Hi,

> I am wondering what the plua team has in store for the future, given
> the demise of PalmOS and the new linux based system, will you guys try
> to port plua to LAM or will it be slowly let to die (well 68k programs
> will still run in LAM it seems) and we'll have to wait and hope to see
> any of the Linux LUA implementations come out with libraries to hook
> into the LAM stack?

Well the Plua team that you mention is actually one person..

When (if) PalmOS switches to Linux, things will be a lot different.
Today what makes porting applications to PalmOS difficult are the many
restrictions on code size, segmentation and memory allocation. With
Linux all these restrictions will be gone, the Lua source code will
compile unchanged, and so I expect that other Lua ports will be available.

I do not know what will happen to Plua by then. If there will be a
PalmOS compatible API on top of Linux, it will be easy to create a
native Plua for Linux. If not, Plua will probably not be continued.

Regards,
Marcio.