The book - mine arrived today!

Terry Bayne-6
Hi,

I usually just lurk on the list and absorb information, but thought you all might like to know my copy of the book arrived from Amazon today.  I ordered the book on December 15th.

Happy New Year!

Terry

Using tolua in real games.

jose marin2
Hello.

Someone is using tolua in real games?
I think it's a great tool, but feel that it
puts a lot of code overload.

Or am I wrong?

Conheça a nova central de informações anti-spam do Yahoo! Mail:
http://www.yahoo.com.br/antispam

Re: Using tolua in real games.

Eric Tetz-2
--- Jose Marin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Someone is using tolua in real games?

Yes, it's used in a lot of games. There are a few mentioned here:

http://www.lua.org/uses.html

But I knwo there are more than that. Just last week I discovered
that my favorite Xbox snowboarding game (Amped 2) is using Lua, and
it's not listed there.

RE: Using tolua in real games.

Stefan Boberg-3
   Midtown Madness 3 for the Xbox also uses Lua.

Stefan Boberg
Chief Technical Officer
Digital Illusions CE AB

Re: Using tolua in real games.

Adam D. Moss
But guys, Jose was clearly asking whether people were
using tolua in games, not simply lua.  :)

Personally, I write my bridge by 'hand'.

--Adam
Adam D. Moss   . ,,^^   [hidden email]   http://www.foxbox.org/   co:3

Re: Using tolua in real games.

Eric Tetz-2
--- "Adam D. Moss" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> But guys, Jose was clearly asking whether people were
> using tolua in games, not simply lua.  :)

Ooops! Thanks for reading for me. I'm a skimmer, I read in large
gulps, it gets me into trouble. ;)

Re: Using tolua in real games.

jose marin2
All I wanto to do is the following:

In C I have the functions:

int FuncNew();

void FuncSetPos(int ref, float x, float y, float z);

void FuncDelete(int ref);

The first parameter (ref) must be passed to all
funcs(except FuncNew, that will return the reference).

In Lua, I would like to do this:

obj = FuncNew()
OK, just return the reference for the new object.

obj:SetPos(12, 13, 14)

must call FuncSetPos like this:

FuncSetPos(obj.ref, 12, 13, 14)

obj:Delete()

must call FuncDelete like this:

FuncDelete(obj.ref)

Whats the more efficient way of doing this?

Conheça a nova central de informações anti-spam do Yahoo! Mail:
http://www.yahoo.com.br/antispam

Re: Using tolua in real games.

Jarrod Roberson
Jose Marin wrote:

Whats the more efficient way of doing this?

first do it one way and then if it is too slow after profling try another.

Like Knuth said "... premature optimisation is the root of all evil..." so you are wasting time trying to make something "more" effiecient when it is probably NEVER going to be a bottle neck anyway. And if a scripting element is your bottle neck you have much bigger problems architecturally.

The scripting elements should be the non-preformance critical sections of code anyway.

Get something working and then if it seems slow profile it and actually see WHAT is slow.