[Suggestion] [Mail List] Split meeting announces into separate list

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Suggestion] [Mail List] Split meeting announces into separate list

Vadim A. Misbakh-Soloviov
Hi there!
I'm asking to forgiveness in advance, if this suggestion looks inapropriate,
but I'd like to ask, what is your opinion about splitting meeting/conferences/
whatever announces to separate list(s) and keeping this one for only Lua
language-related discussions, Lua software announces and new Lua releases
announces?

--[[
Although, Lua-software announces, can be splitted too, I guess. And I'd like
to subscribe on it too.
]]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Suggestion] [Mail List] Split meeting announces into separate list

Peter Aronoff
"Vadim A. Misbakh-Soloviov" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm asking to forgiveness in advance, if this suggestion looks
> inapropriate, but I'd like to ask, what is your opinion about splitting
> meeting/conferences/ whatever announces to separate list(s) and keeping
> this one for only Lua language-related discussions, Lua software
> announces and new Lua releases announces?

Not very many posts here are about meeting/conferences/etc., so I don’t
think it’s worth it.

On the other hand, I’m all for splitting off a list for what Dirk calls
“proposals”. But I doubt that will happen either. ;)

Best, P
--
We have not been faced with the need to satisfy someone else's
requirements, and for this freedom we are grateful.
    Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, The UNIX Time-Sharing System

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Suggestion] [Mail List] Split meeting announces into separate list

Coda Highland
On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 9:44 AM, Peter Aronoff <[hidden email]> wrote:

> "Vadim A. Misbakh-Soloviov" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I'm asking to forgiveness in advance, if this suggestion looks
>> inapropriate, but I'd like to ask, what is your opinion about splitting
>> meeting/conferences/ whatever announces to separate list(s) and keeping
>> this one for only Lua language-related discussions, Lua software
>> announces and new Lua releases announces?
>
> Not very many posts here are about meeting/conferences/etc., so I don’t
> think it’s worth it.
>
> On the other hand, I’m all for splitting off a list for what Dirk calls
> “proposals”. But I doubt that will happen either. ;)

There's a reasonable argument for separating things along the lines of
"things pertaining to the development of the PUC-Rio Lua software" and
"things pertaining to writing software using the Lua language". Lots
of other communities have a similar -dev vs -users split.

/s/ Adam

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Suggestion] [Mail List] Split meeting announces into separate list

Peter Aronoff
Coda Highland <[hidden email]> wrote:
> There's a reasonable argument for separating things along the lines of
> "things pertaining to the development of the PUC-Rio Lua software" and
> "things pertaining to writing software using the Lua language". Lots of
> other communities have a similar -dev vs -users split.

On the one hand, yes. On the other hand, aren’t those communities with
a more open development model? My point being that I’m not sure where the
proposals I’m talking about would belong if there were a lua-dev and
a lua-users. I’m joking, but not entirely since 98% of the talking about
such proposals is by users and (from what I can tell) the developers of Lua
mostly ignore such threads.

P
--
We have not been faced with the need to satisfy someone else's
requirements, and for this freedom we are grateful.
    Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, The UNIX Time-Sharing System

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Suggestion] [Mail List] Split meeting announces into separate list

Coda Highland
On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 9:54 AM, Peter Aronoff <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Coda Highland <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> There's a reasonable argument for separating things along the lines of
>> "things pertaining to the development of the PUC-Rio Lua software" and
>> "things pertaining to writing software using the Lua language". Lots of
>> other communities have a similar -dev vs -users split.
>
> On the one hand, yes. On the other hand, aren’t those communities with
> a more open development model? My point being that I’m not sure where the
> proposals I’m talking about would belong if there were a lua-dev and
> a lua-users. I’m joking, but not entirely since 98% of the talking about
> such proposals is by users and (from what I can tell) the developers of Lua
> mostly ignore such threads.

Power patches and bug reports would belong on -dev, and it's possible
that things like Ravi engineering discussion could go on -dev (though
its release announcements would cross-post to -users) since at some
level it's a gigantic, extremely ambitious power patch.

But no, I see what you mean.

/s/ Adam

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Suggestion] [Mail List] Split meeting announces into separate list

Javier Guerra Giraldez
In reply to this post by Coda Highland
On 22 July 2016 at 17:48, Coda Highland <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Lots
> of other communities have a similar -dev vs -users split.


yes.... but all the -dev lists get lots of posts from newbies that
think "i am a xxx developer, i use it for developing" or use it like
"support, level 2"


--
Javier

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Suggestion] [Mail List] Split meeting announces into separate list

Jay Carlson
In reply to this post by Peter Aronoff

> On 2016-07-22, at 12:44 PM, Peter Aronoff <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On the other hand, I’m all for splitting off a list for what Dirk calls
> “proposals”. But I doubt that will happen either. ;)

We would have missed out on the great discussion of deterministic finalization, though...

Jay
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Suggestion] [Mail List] Split meeting announces into separate list

Dirk Laurie-2
In reply to this post by Vadim A. Misbakh-Soloviov
2016-07-22 18:30 GMT+02:00 Vadim A. Misbakh-Soloviov <[hidden email]>:
>
> I'm asking to forgiveness in advance, if this suggestion looks inapropriate,
> but I'd like to ask, what is your opinion about splitting meeting/conferences/
> whatever announces to separate list(s) and keeping this one for only Lua
> language-related discussions, Lua software announces and new Lua releases
> announces?

I've just checked. lua-l takes about a monrh to add 100 new threads.
Maybe 10 of them deal with LuaConf issues. One month from now,
that will drop to 1. Frankly, the traffic is not enough to justify it.

Instead, why not create a Facebook identity just for that particular
conference? Post dozens of pictures, tag who is who, etc.