Stream File Editor

walsjs1
Has anyone made a plua program to edit stream files?

Thanks,
Jim

Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: Stream File Editor

David McNab
walsjs1 wrote:
> Has anyone made a plua program to edit stream files?

Any particular reason why you'd want to, apart from the fact that the
core plua doesn't handle PalmDoc?

Might be less painful to work with PalmDoc files instead, there's at
least 2 libs on the plua yahoogroup which can read/write palmdocs, and
there's heaps of palm text editor apps which can use them too.

--
Cheers
David

When replying, please ensure the word 'Aotearoa' appears in your
message. This is to ensure your message will bypass my spam filter and
actually get delivered to me. If you're just replying, leave these lines
intact in your message and all will be ok. Many thanks.

Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

RE: Stream File Editor

Morten Agerlin Petersen (MAP)
Hey Jim

I simply can't remember from where I got it - I thought it was from the
files section but I can't find it now.

The original is in Plua1 and I have myself tried to translate it to
Plua2, but since "dostring" doesn't exist in Plua2, you can't run a Plua
program written as a stream file in the Plua2 version. If you (or
somebody else) know how to inplement "dostring" in Plua2, please let me
know.

Best regards

Morten

--------------- Plua 1 ------------------------------------

-- StreamEdit.lua

function txt()

local field, e, id, f, text

ptitle("StreamEdit")

pmenu({"New", "Open", "Save", "Chars", "Run","Exit"})

text=""

name=""

pnl()

field=pfield(12,30,32700,text)

while 1 do
collectgarbage()
e,id=pevent()

if e==menuSelect then

if id==1 then
name=pinput("New")
text=""
psettext(field,text)
end

if id==2 then
name=pinput("Open")
f=openfile(name,"r")
text=read(f,"*a")
closefile(f)
psettext(field,text)
end

if id==3 then
name=pinput("Filename")
f=openfile(name,"w")
text=pgettext(field)
write(f,text)
closefile(f)
end

if id==4 then
text=pgettext(field)
pinput("Chars",strlen(text))
end

if id==5 then
run(pgettext(field))
end

if id==6 then
break

function run(s)
pdestroy()
pclear()
dostring(s)
end

txt()

----------------------------------------- Plua2
-- P2StreamEdit.lua

function txt()

local field, e, id, f, text

ui.title("StreamEdit")

ui.menu({"New", "Open", "Save", "Chars", "Run - not impl","Exit"})

text=""

name=""

ui.nl()

field=ui.field(12,30,32700,text)

while 1 do

collectgarbage()

e,id=ui.event()

if e==ui.menuSelect then

if id==1 then

name=ui.input("New")

text=""

ui.settext(field,text)

end

if id==2 then

name=ui.input("Open")

f=io.open(name,"r")

if f~=nil then

text=f:read("*a")

f:close()

else ui.alert("File: "..name.." not found")

end

ui.settext(field,text)

end

if id==3 then

name=ui.input("Filename")

f=io.open(name,"w")

text=ui.gettext(field)

f:write(text)

f:close()

end

if id==4 then

text=ui.gettext(field)

ui.input("Chars",string.len(text))

end

if id==5 then

run(ui.gettext(field))

end

if id==6 then

break

function run(s)

--ui.destroy()

--ui.clear()

--dostring(s) THIS IS PLUA1 SYNTAX, SO IT IS COMMENTED OUT

end

txt()

------------------------------------

________________________________

RE: Stream File Editor / dostring in LUA 5

Emil Tchekov-3
Hi,

> version. If you (or
> somebody else) know how to inplement "dostring" in
> Plua2, please let me
> know.

The following explanation comes from LUA.ORG:

loadstring (string [, chunkname])

Similar to load, but gets the chunk from the given
string.

To load and run a given string, use the idiom

      assert(loadstring(s))

Regards

Emil Tchekov

--- In [hidden email], David McNab <david@...> wrote:

> walsjs1 wrote:
> > Has anyone made a plua program to edit stream files?

In the book Programming in Lua they describe a method of saving data
as Lua code files in the form:

entry{name='Joe',
      age=47,
}

entry{name='Fred',
      age=33,
}

Then to reload you define a function called entry with a single table
as parameter and run the file.  It then calls your fuction for each item.

This is working pretty well for me and Stream Files are the easiest to
implement in Plua.  But I would like the option to edit the files.  I
would love to keep them DOC format but don't know how to write them
from Plua.

Thus either a stream editor program, or lua code to create Palmdoc
files will complete my package.

Thanks,
Jim W

> Any particular reason why you'd want to, apart from the fact that the
> core plua doesn't handle PalmDoc?
>
> Might be less painful to work with PalmDoc files instead, there's at
> least 2 libs on the plua yahoogroup which can read/write palmdocs, and
> there's heaps of palm text editor apps which can use them too.
>
> --
> Cheers
> David
>
> When replying, please ensure the word 'Aotearoa' appears in your
> message. This is to ensure your message will bypass my spam filter and
> actually get delivered to me. If you're just replying, leave these lines
> intact in your message and all will be ok. Many thanks.

Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Create PalmDoc files from Plua / Plua source only

Emil Tchekov-3
Hi to all,

someone have asked for utility to create Palm Doc
files from within Plua...

The following source can create (simplified: without
Time/Date created, not compressed etc.) PALM DOC files
ON EXTERNAL VFS card. Take care: this will NOT work in
the Palm internal memory!!!

-- TXT2DOC.lua

-- You can skip the ERBML part if you don use streamED
-- otherwise, do not forget to change
-- the paths, these are ok for my PC only...

--<LNG>PLUA1
--<CID>EmoS
--<PON>-- TXT2DOC.lua
--<VER>1.0
--<PRC>C:\TXT2DOC.PRC
--<NAF>C:\PGraph\PRCS\HostFS_Simulator.prc

--<v>fn<v>Custom variable fn
--<v>Text2Save<v>Custom variable Text2Save
--<v>Category<v>Custom variable Category
--<v>pdbFile<v>Custom variable pdbFile
--<v>NumRec<v>Custom variable NumRec
--<v>Count<v>Custom variable Count
--<v>RecPos<v>Custom variable RecPos
--<v>t<v>Custom array t
--<v>PalmOSName<v>Custom variable PalmOSName

Text2Save=pinput("Text")
-- I am using pinput to put text in the Variable
-- ... you are free to to make this otherwise

t={}
t[0]=0
t[1]=0
t[2]=0
t[3]=0

function Word(Data)

        Zahl2 = Data

        for a = 1, 0, -1 do

                Zahl1 = floor(Zahl2 / 256)

                t[a]=Zahl2 - Zahl1 * 256

                Zahl2 = Zahl1

function DWord(Data)

        Zahl2 = Data

        for a = 3, 0, -1 do

                Zahl1 = floor(Zahl2 / 256)

                t[a]=Zahl2 - Zahl1 * 256

                Zahl2 = Zahl1

Category = 0

PalmOSName = pinput("Title","MyText")
if PalmOSName == "" then
        exit()
end
if strlen(PalmOSName) > 31 then
        PalmOSName=strsub(PalmOSName,1, 31)
end

pdbFile=pinput("File Name","vfs0:/FileName.pdb")
if pdbFile=="" then
        exit()
end

fn=openfile(pdbFile,"wb")

strT=strsub(PalmOSName,1, 31)..strrep(strchar(0), 32 -
strlen(strsub(PalmOSName,1, 31)))

write(fn, strT)

for a=0,27,1 do

        write(fn,strchar(0))

end

write(fn,"T")
write(fn,"E")
write(fn,"X")
write(fn,"t")

write(fn,"R")
write(fn,"E")
write(fn,"A")
write(fn,"d")

for a=0,7,1 do

        write(fn,strchar(0))

end

NumRec = floor(strlen(Text2Save) / 4096) + 2

Word(NumRec)
write(fn, strchar(t[0]))
write(fn, strchar(t[1]))

for Count = 1, NumRec,1 do

         RecPos = 78 + 2 + (NumRec * 8)

         if Count > 1 then

                RecPos = RecPos + 16 + (Count - 2) * 4096

         end

        DWord(RecPos)
        write(fn, strchar(t[0]))
        write(fn, strchar(t[1]))
        write(fn, strchar(t[2]))
        write(fn, strchar(t[3]))

        write(fn, strchar(0) )
        write(fn, strchar(0) )
        write(fn, strchar(0) )
        write(fn, strchar(0) )

end

write(fn,strchar(0))
write(fn,strchar(0))
write(fn,strchar(1))
write(fn,strchar(0))

DWord(strlen(Text2Save))
write(fn, strchar(t[0]))
write(fn, strchar(t[1]))
write(fn, strchar(t[2]))
write(fn, strchar(t[3]))

Word(NumRec - 1)
write(fn, strchar(t[0]))
write(fn, strchar(t[1]))

Word(4096)
write(fn, strchar(t[0]))
write(fn, strchar(t[1]))

write(fn,strchar(0))
write(fn,strchar(0))
write(fn,strchar(0))
write(fn,strchar(0))

write(fn,strchar(0))
write(fn,strchar(0))

write(fn,Text2Save)

closefile(fn)

Regards

Emil Tchekov

P.S. I will put this also in the files section of the group...

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: Create PalmDoc files from Plua / Plua source only

walsjs1
Emil,
Thanks for your reply.
I have been using your code for editting stream files, but was
unsatisified because I didn't have a scrollbar on the right side of
the field.

I assumed it was some kind of unfixable bug, or that I had to roll my
own.  Of course, the problem was just that my field was too wide and
the scrollbar was hid.  Not that I have that figured out your code is
perfect.  I love having my data file as editable plua code.

Now I have another ui.field that the scrollbar won't show up for, this
time it's NOT too wide and I remain a little perplexed.

Thanks for all your help,
Jim Walsh

--- In [hidden email], Emil Tchekov <etchekov@...> wrote:

> [...]
>
> Zahl1 = floor(Zahl2 / 256)
>
> t[a]=Zahl2 - Zahl1 * 256
>
> Zahl2 = Zahl1

> Category = 0
>
> PalmOSName = pinput("Title","MyText")
> if PalmOSName == "" then
> exit()
> end
> if strlen(PalmOSName) > 31 then
> PalmOSName=strsub(PalmOSName,1, 31)
> end
>

> pdbFile=pinput("File Name","vfs0:/FileName.pdb")
> if pdbFile=="" then
> exit()
> end
>
> fn=openfile(pdbFile,"wb")
>
> strT=strsub(PalmOSName,1, 31)..strrep(strchar(0), 32 -
> strlen(strsub(PalmOSName,1, 31)))
>
> write(fn, strT)
>

> for a=0,27,1 do
>
> write(fn,strchar(0))
>
> end
>
> write(fn,"T")
> write(fn,"E")
> write(fn,"X")
> write(fn,"t")
>
> write(fn,"R")
> write(fn,"E")
> write(fn,"A")
> write(fn,"d")
>
> for a=0,7,1 do
>
> write(fn,strchar(0))
>
> end
>
> NumRec = floor(strlen(Text2Save) / 4096) + 2
>
> Word(NumRec)
> write(fn, strchar(t[0]))
> write(fn, strchar(t[1]))
>

> for Count = 1, NumRec,1 do
>
> RecPos = 78 + 2 + (NumRec * 8)
>
> if Count > 1 then
>
> RecPos = RecPos + 16 + (Count - 2) * 4096
>
> end
>

> DWord(RecPos)
> write(fn, strchar(t[0]))
> write(fn, strchar(t[1]))
> write(fn, strchar(t[2]))
> write(fn, strchar(t[3]))
>
> write(fn, strchar(0) )
> write(fn, strchar(0) )
> write(fn, strchar(0) )
> write(fn, strchar(0) )
>
> end
>
> write(fn,strchar(0))
> write(fn,strchar(0))
> write(fn,strchar(1))
> write(fn,strchar(0))
>

> DWord(strlen(Text2Save))
> write(fn, strchar(t[0]))
> write(fn, strchar(t[1]))
> write(fn, strchar(t[2]))
> write(fn, strchar(t[3]))
>

> Word(NumRec - 1)
> write(fn, strchar(t[0]))
> write(fn, strchar(t[1]))
>

> Word(4096)
> write(fn, strchar(t[0]))
> write(fn, strchar(t[1]))
>
> write(fn,strchar(0))
> write(fn,strchar(0))
> write(fn,strchar(0))
> write(fn,strchar(0))
>
> write(fn,strchar(0))
> write(fn,strchar(0))
>
> write(fn,Text2Save)
>
> closefile(fn)
>

> Regards
>
> Emil Tchekov
>

> P.S. I will put this also in the files section of the group...

Morten,
I use
       dofile('preg.lua')

which runs my plua generated, plua code file.
I use this file to store data in the form of function calls
      entry{ name='Joe',
             age=33,
           }

      entry{ name='Bob',
             age=22,
           }

Then my main file defines a function "entry" expecting a single table
parameter.  Then I use the "dofile" and recover my file.
It has worked very reliably.

Thanks,
Jim W

--- In [hidden email], "Morten Agerlin Petersen \(MAP\)"
<map@...> wrote:

> [...]
>
> if id==2 then
> name=pinput("Open")
> f=openfile(name,"r")
> text=read(f,"*a")
> closefile(f)
> psettext(field,text)
> end
>
> if id==3 then
> name=pinput("Filename")
> f=openfile(name,"w")
> text=pgettext(field)
> write(f,text)
> closefile(f)
> end
>
> if id==4 then
> text=pgettext(field)
> pinput("Chars",strlen(text))
> end
>
> if id==5 then
> run(pgettext(field))
> end
>
> if id==6 then
> break

> function run(s)
> pdestroy()
> pclear()
> dostring(s)
> end
>
> txt()
>
> ----------------------------------------- Plua2
> -- P2StreamEdit.lua
>
> function txt()
>
> local field, e, id, f, text
>
> ui.title("StreamEdit")
>
> ui.menu({"New", "Open", "Save", "Chars", "Run - not impl","Exit"})
>
> text=""
>
> name=""
>
> ui.nl()
>
> field=ui.field(12,30,32700,text)
>
> while 1 do
>
> collectgarbage()
>
> e,id=ui.event()
>
> if e==ui.menuSelect then
>
> if id==1 then
>
> name=ui.input("New")
>
> text=""
>
> ui.settext(field,text)
>
> end
>
> if id==2 then
>
> name=ui.input("Open")
>
> f=io.open(name,"r")
>
> if f~=nil then
>
> text=f:read("*a")
>
> f:close()
>
> else ui.alert("File: "..name.." not found")
>
> end
>
> ui.settext(field,text)
>
> end
>
> if id==3 then
>
> name=ui.input("Filename")
>
> f=io.open(name,"w")
>
> text=ui.gettext(field)
>
> f:write(text)
>
> f:close()
>
> end
>
> if id==4 then
>
> text=ui.gettext(field)
>
> ui.input("Chars",string.len(text))
>
> end
>
> if id==5 then
>
> run(ui.gettext(field))
>
> end
>
> if id==6 then
>
> break

> function run(s)
>
> --ui.destroy()
>
> --ui.clear()
>
> --dostring(s) THIS IS PLUA1 SYNTAX, SO IT IS COMMENTED OUT

SIR x IRCOMM

rlistas
Hi,

Any chance of PLUA support SIR too,
not only IRCOMM as it is now ?

Rubens

Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

RE: Scroll trough textfield / Scrollbar missing

Emil Tchekov-3
Hi
> unsatisified because I didn't have a scrollbar on
> the right side of
> the field.
>
> I assumed it was some kind of unfixable bug, or that

You are right - there was/is bug in the pfield /
ui.field that causes this behaviour (missing
scrollbar)

I think what you need, can be find in the group
message #3025. If you need help getting this example
work on your particular device, just tell...

Regards

Emil Tchekov

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/