Strange with Lua, very upset.

Shamun toha md
Hello Experts,

It seems like i was very excited with Lua, but many good features of Lua does not exist (flavor exist but not working, cant smell the test yet), which could have allowed me to move with the speed of light or at least speed of sound!!, for solving all my JAVA/VB.net related projects.

- Lot of common programming language features and libraries are well organised and completely bit other languages.
- Few very important module that i required for my fast deploy project, does not exist or not completely working, having bug or etc etc issues (not just plug and code)

Example:
- Luakit for WebKit
- Lua for Proteaaudio
- Lua for latest greatest FLTK
- MurgaLua
- Lomp
* rest no idea, maybe same like above ? It will be then a nightmare trying with Lua ( i should just go to PureBasic/Vb.net or stick with QT ?)

Is it still a good idea to move forward with Lua for Micro/Low level audio software development ? Or its better not now do it after 2/3 years later ? I am confused, did tried ProTeaLua but its a hell still, i need to prepare whole C/C++ code compatible for Lua. After that i can test how it works.

Please kindly advise or suggest, how can i focus Lua for this ?

Thanks & Regards
Shamun

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.
Any review, retransmission, dissemination, or other use of this information, or taking of any action in reliance upon it by persons or entities
other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.

Re: Strange with Lua, very upset.

Patrick Mc(avery
I've been on this list for about a year and a half now and this looks
like thee number one most inflammatory title I've seen.

Lua is a language given to us at no cost and this list is maintained by
volunteers and posted to by volunteers.

You sound like someone trying to return a defective appliance at a
department store.

Please respect the people on this list, I most certainly do. There is a
wealth of knowledge here and I have learned so much despite having given
so little.

--Patrick

On 12/26/2010 03:47 PM, Shamun toha md wrote:

> Hello Experts,
>
> It seems like i was very excited with Lua, but many good features of Lua
> does not exist (flavor exist but not working, cant smell the test yet),
> which could have allowed me to move with the speed of light or at least
> speed of sound!!, for solving all my JAVA/VB.net related projects.
> - Lot of common programming language features and libraries are well
> organised and completely bit other languages.
> - Few very important module that i required for my fast deploy project,
> does not exist or not completely working, having bug or etc etc issues
> (not just plug and code)
>
> Example:
> - Luakit for WebKit
> - Lua for Proteaaudio
> - Lua for latest greatest FLTK
> - MurgaLua
> - Lomp
> * rest no idea, maybe same like above ? It will be then a nightmare
> trying with Lua ( i should just go to PureBasic/Vb.net or stick with QT ?)
>
> Is it still a good idea to move forward with Lua for Micro/Low level
> audio software development ? Or its better not now do it after 2/3 years
> later ? I am confused, did tried ProTeaLua but its a hell still, i need
> to prepare whole C/C++ code compatible for Lua. After that i can test
> how it works.
>
> Please kindly advise or suggest, how can i focus Lua for this ?
>
> Thanks & Regards
> Shamun

> material.
> Any review, retransmission, dissemination, or other use of this
> information, or taking of any action in reliance upon it by persons or
> entities
> other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in
> error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.

Re: Strange with Lua, very upset.

Matthew Wild
Hi Shamun,

On 26 December 2010 20:47, Shamun toha md <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello Experts,
> It seems like i was very excited with Lua, but many good features of Lua
> does not exist (flavor exist but not working, cant smell the test yet),
> which could have allowed me to move with the speed of light or at least
> speed of sound!!, for solving all my JAVA/VB.net related projects.

Lua is a small embeddable scripting language. It is very good at being
that. You don't say what features you are missing, but I suspect they
are things that will never, and should never, be in Lua.

It would be more helpful if you ask about what you are missing, so
that people can help you find an answer.

> - Lot of common programming language features and libraries are well
> organised and completely bit other languages.

I'm not sure I understand whether this is meant to be for/against Lua,
it has small core standard libraries, exposing most of what ANSI C has
to offer, and a little bit more.

> - Few very important module that i required for my fast deploy project, does
> not exist or not completely working, having bug or etc etc issues (not just
> plug and code)

In Lua itself? or in third-party modules? Either way, I'm sure most
people would be willing to offer help with any issues you find. If
it's a bug in a library you need, why not help them out with a patch?

> Example:
> - Luakit for WebKit
> - Lua for Proteaaudio
> - Lua for latest greatest FLTK
> - MurgaLua
> - Lomp

I don't understand what this is a list of.

> * rest no idea, maybe same like above ? It will be then a nightmare trying
> with Lua ( i should just go to PureBasic/Vb.net or stick with QT ?)

That's up to you to decide.

> Is it still a good idea to move forward with Lua for Micro/Low level audio
> software development ?

I have no experience of the field, but I would have thought audio
processing would be more suited to a lower level language such as C,
with high level bindings. Again though, I'm not exactly sure what you
are trying to do.

> Or its better not now do it after 2/3 years later ? I
> am confused, did tried ProTeaLua but its a hell still, i need to prepare
> whole C/C++ code compatible for Lua.

You mean http://viremo.eludi.net/protea/index.html ? It seems to have
a Lua backend, but it's the first I have heard of it. If you are
having problems with it you should probably contact them, not us.

> After that i can test how it works.
> Please kindly advise or suggest, how can i focus Lua for this ?

Remembering that Lua is just a small embeddable scripting language...
If you have problems with it, please speak up (and actually say what
they are). If you have problems with another project that embeds Lua,
please contact them (and tell them clearly what your problem is so
they can help you). After you have done this, if you find no help and
are not able or inclined to fix it yourself then I do suggest you
consider alternative projects.

Regards,
Matthew (very happy with Lua for a number of years now).

Re: Strange with Lua, very upset.

Henning Diedrich
Hi Shamun,

you absolutely want to use VB!

It has a strong, responsive company behind it, you can always turn to in times of need, the community might be a way better fit for your demanding - schedule. You can avoid that low level C hassle, God speed, all that. VB! Or, of course, Java maybe.

Henning

Shamun toha md schrieb:
[...]

Dirk Laurie
On Sun, Dec 26, 2010 at 10:47:12PM +0200, Shamun toha md wrote:

> It seems like i was very excited with Lua, but many good features of Lua does
> not exist (flavor exist but not working, cant smell the test yet), which
> could have allowed me to move with the speed of light or at least speed of
> sound!!, for solving all my JAVA/VB.net related projects.

You sound like someone complaining that the health food shop does not
sell cheeseburgers and pizzas.

"Lua is a tiny and simple language, partly because it does not try
to do what C is already good for, such as sheer performance, low-level
operations, and interface with third-party software.  Lua relies on C
for these tasks."  -- 'Programming in Lua', second paragraph of Preface.

You're in good company: many of the posts on this list are concerned
with trying to make Lua do one of those things that C is already good
for, often in the process suggesting things that would spoil its
tinyness and simplicity.  They don't complain like yours, but they are
like recipes for making ersatz cheeseburgers from soya beans and tofu.

I can't blame them, just as I can't blame you.  The way one thinks
about something new is always strongly influenced by the things you
already know.

But it is important that you start thinking in Lua, not in Python, or
Java, or whatever other language you may be fond of.  You need to get
to the point where you actually enjoy eating nuts and raw vegetables!

Dirk

Re: Re: Strange with Lua, very upset.

Gunnar Zötl

> But it is important that you start thinking in Lua, not in Python, or
> Java, or whatever other language you may be fond of.  You need to get
> to the point where you actually enjoy eating nuts and raw vegetables!

this is such a nice image, it makes me want to eat some celery :)

Gunnar

Re: Strange with Lua, very upset.

Mateusz Czaplinski
On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 12:51 AM, H. Diedrich <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Shamun,
> you absolutely want to use VB!

Gee, I never thought I could be advertising VB to anyone, but in this
case it sounds like the only language where such mind state could
express naturally and without obstacles.
+1

/M

Re: Strange with Lua, very upset.

Tim Channon
On 27/12/2010 09:09, Gunnar Zötl wrote:

>> But it is important that you start thinking in Lua, not in Python, or
>> Java, or whatever other language you may be fond of.  You need to get
>> to the point where you actually enjoy eating nuts and raw vegetables!
>
> this is such a nice image, it makes me want to eat some celery :)
>
> Gunnar

Given it's in the light of the moon, perhaps carrots. How many are
moonlighting from a day job?

Re: Strange with Lua, very upset.

kevin beckford
On Sun, Dec 26, 2010 at 12:47 PM, Shamun toha md <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello Experts,
> It seems like i was very excited with Lua, but many good features of Lua
> does not exist (flavor exist but not working, cant smell the test yet),
> which could have allowed me to move with the speed of light or at least
> speed of sound!!, for solving all my JAVA/VB.net related projects.

Actually, I understand your position.  The standard libraries thread
changed my plans as well.  The idea of rolling my own basic functions
like getopt or something to parse config files would b

You can always try node.js to replace VB.net.

Re: Strange with Lua, very upset.

steve donovan
On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 1:17 PM, kevin beckford <[hidden email]> wrote:
> changed my plans as well.  The idea of rolling my own basic functions
> like getopt or something to parse config files would b

I imagine that the rest of the sentence was 'be too much work', which
is true. But there are such libraries available.  There was a recent
thread about getopt in Lua, and I can always point to [1] for config
file reading - there's sure to be other more specialized solutions.

More evidence in fact that we need a 'canonical' place to look for Lua
libraries.

steve d.

[1] http://stevedonovan.github.com/Penlight/#T26

Re: Strange with Lua, very upset.

kevin beckford
> Actually, I understand your position.  The standard libraries thread
> changed my plans as well.  The idea of rolling my own basic functions
> like getopt or something to parse config files would b

continuing:

be nice, but that's not maintainable.

Re: Strange with Lua, very upset.

Axel Kittenberger
I don't get the need for the config file thing. I for one came to Lua,
because I wanted it to be a config file! (data description language,
is part of the Lua history, isnt it?)

On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 12:25 PM, steve donovan
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 1:17 PM, kevin beckford <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> changed my plans as well.  The idea of rolling my own basic functions
>> like getopt or something to parse config files would b
>
> I imagine that the rest of the sentence was 'be too much work', which
> is true. But there are such libraries available.  There was a recent
> thread about getopt in Lua, and I can always point to [1] for config
> file reading - there's sure to be other more specialized solutions.
>
> More evidence in fact that we need a 'canonical' place to look for Lua
> libraries.
>
> steve d.
>
> [1] http://stevedonovan.github.com/Penlight/#T26

Re: Strange with Lua, very upset.

Philippe Lhoste
On 03/01/2011 12:52, Axel Kittenberger wrote:
> I don't get the need for the config file thing. I for one came to Lua,
> because I wanted it to be a config file! (data description language,
> is part of the Lua history, isnt it?)

I would say, and looking at the page linked by Steve confirms this, that there is always a
need to read existing config. file, from Windows' .ini files to Java's .properties files
and all the variants around.

It is similar to the idea of supporting XML in Lua: not necessarily for internal usage,
but just to communicate with the outer world.

--
Philippe Lhoste
--  (near) Paris -- France

Re: Strange with Lua, very upset.

kevin beckford
> It is similar to the idea of supporting XML in Lua: not necessarily for
> internal usage, but just to communicate with the outer world.

Exactly.