Some questions

Terence Martin-2
I'm a little unclear on wether the 4.0 tar file on the official sites is
always the latest greatest "found a bug and now it's patched" version, or if
I have to scour the list for all mentions of patches and bugfixes and fix
them myself.

Also, in attempting to research the above, I was wondering what format the
list archive file is in. Winzip seems to know, but has troubles extracting
bits of it because it's a little bit broken. It also doesn't seem to be a
gziped file either.

By the way, I'm not the only one that knows that www.lualanguage.org is
missing most of the pages, right?

Re: Some questions

Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
>I'm a little unclear on wether the 4.0 tar file on the official sites is
>always the latest greatest "found a bug and now it's patched" version, or if
>I have to scour the list for all mentions of patches and bugfixes and fix
>them myself.

You can look at the dates: lua-4.0.tar.gz is dated 6 Nov 2000 19:15,
and so it's still the original release.

In general, a tar file is never updated to include bug fixes unless the bugs
are really bad (this only happened 3 times ever: once in 2.5 and twice in 3.2).
In this case, the bugs are usually found just after the version is released
and we update the tar file silently to avoid noise. The version number is
then added a third digit. For instance, the current 3.2 version is actually
3.2.2.

>Also, in attempting to research the above, I was wondering what format the
>list archive file is in.

It's a gzip'ed unix mailbox.

>Winzip seems to know, but has troubles extracting
>bits of it because it's a little bit broken. It also doesn't seem to be a
>gziped file either.

You're probably not setting binary transfers on your ftp client or your
web browser does not know about .gz files. Try using the ftp://... url instead
of the http://... one.

>By the way, I'm not the only one that knows that www.lualanguage.org is
>missing most of the pages, right?

www.lualanguage.org is not being updated because its not yet the official site.

Re: Some questions

Terence Martin-2
> You can look at the dates: lua-4.0.tar.gz is dated 6 Nov 2000 19:15,
> and so it's still the original release.

I presumed as much but I thought I'd ask anyway. The post the other day in
which a (albeit non-important) bug was exposed got me to thinking about it.
I was expecting to at least see a file in the ftp directory that mentioned
these sorts of "non-issues", or a collection of patches or something. It
seemed to me to be a shame that that's not the case, since otherwise the
only way to know when something like this is found is to read the list or
it's archive. If you don't have the time to do something like that on a
regular basis, you could end up ramming your head against something that
someone already figured out. I hate it when there's some difficulty and time
spent discovering what is the problem, and then when you find out someone
says "oh yeah, I knew about that". Argh! :)

> It's a gzip'ed unix mailbox.
> You're probably not setting binary transfers on your ftp client or your
> web browser does not know about .gz files.

Well this is more creepy than anything. I used Win98's command line ftp
client twice to download this, and the file was somehow corrupt, even though
I did use binary mode (the second time at the least :). WinZip saw the file
as a collection of several hundred text files, of which only about 4 would
not extract because of "corruption". I then downloaded it on my linux box
and it worked fine. After copying the .gz file to windows, WinZip was happy
with it, but it actually showed up as a single file like it should (thank
god, it's way easier to manipulate that way). I'm going to try and not
contemplate that too much.

Re: Some questions

>I was expecting to at least see a file in the ftp directory that mentioned
>these sorts of "non-issues", or a collection of patches or something.

Below is a list of all known bugs in 4.0. They are all very minor bugs;
the fixes are essentially one liners, and were posted to the list.
I'll see what can be done about a patch file.

>I then downloaded it on my linux box
>and it worked fine. After copying the .gz file to windows, WinZip was happy

If anyone had problems with the archives in Windows, please let me know.
If anyone knows how to fix it, please let us know.
--lhf

** lparser.c
Wed Nov 29 09:51:44 EDT 2000
>> parser does not accept a `;' after a `return'
(by lhf; since 4.0b)

** liolib.c
Fri Dec 22 15:30:42 EDT 2000
>> when `read' fails it must return nil (and not no value)
(by cassino; since at least 3.1)

** lstring.c/lapi.c
Thu Feb  1 11:55:45 EDT 2001
>> lua_pushuserdata(L, NULL) is buggy
(by Edgar Toernig; since 4.0)

** ldo.c
Fri Feb  2 14:06:40 EDT 2001
>> «while 1 dostring[[print('hello\n')]] end» never reclaims memory
(by Andrew Paton; since 4.0b)

** lbaselib.c
Tue Feb  6 11:57:13 EDT 2001
>> ESC (which starts precompiled code) in C is \33, not \27
(by Edgar Toernig and lhf; since 4.0b)