Simple Encryption method

Shawn Craig
Is there a simple en/decryption method for strings?

This is for a wow add-on where a string is sent out into hidden message channel and picked up by the same add-on on someone elses pc. Basicly I'm not look looking to stop smart people but I don't want ppl to easly trick my add-on by just typing stuff in that channel.

Note: Please note that I'm limited on string length in the channel.

Re: Simple Encryption method

Matias Guijarro
What about using simple XOR encryption ?

You can learn more here :
http://celtickane.com/programming/crypt/xor.php

Cheers,
MG.

Shawn Craig wrote:

> Is there a simple en/decryption method for strings?
>
> This is for a wow add-on where a string is sent out into hidden
> message channel and picked up by the same add-on on someone elses pc.
> Basicly I'm not look looking to stop smart people but I don't want ppl
> to easly trick my add-on by just typing stuff in that channel.
>
> Note: Please note that I'm limited on string length in the channel.

Re: Simple Encryption method

Terry Bayne-2
XOR may be just what you need.  It won't be easy for someone to type xor'd strings into the console on the fly.  Certainly it is still spoofable, but not in a convenient way.

Though, someone else could easily write an addon that could crypt/decrypt messages to the channel.

Note, I don't believe there is a way to really "hide" a channel in Wow.  It's basically an IRC type server on the backend.

Just curious, as a wow player myself, what kind of add on your working on?

Happy Hunting!

Terry

On Mon, 15 May 2006 15:13:38 +0200, Matias Guijarro wrote:

>> What about using simple XOR encryption ?
>>
>> You can learn more here :
>> http://celtickane.com/programming/crypt/xor.php
>>
>> Cheers,
>> MG.

Re: Simple Encryption method

Shawn Craig
Short Answer:
It will show you a list of who has the most honor so far this week from 1 to 50.

Long Answer:
Its a weekly honor tracking system for people trying to obtain HW/GM Status.
It does this in 2 ways:
    1. If you inspect someone you will record thier honor
    2. The add-on records your honor as well

Other Add-on users will xfer there totals for everyone from time to time. The script will be watching the line and only report on a user it hasn't seen in 5 minutes UNLESS its your honor that has changed. Then it is sent everytime you gain honor. This way everyone maintains the full table of every user in the system without flooding

This is why i need a little security to keep the bulk of people from fudging other peoples numbers.

Note:
I play on a server where everyone works together under a cap system so this will alert us when people have meet cap or exceed it. It can also lower cap levels if people agree to stay where there at (which happens on my server).

And yes this is my first Add-on attempt! LOL.

XOR may be just what you need.  It won't be easy for someone to type xor'd strings into the console on the fly.  Certainly it is still spoofable, but not in a convenient way.

Though, someone else could easily write an addon that could crypt/decrypt messages to the channel.

Note, I don't believe there is a way to really "hide" a channel in Wow.  It's basically an IRC type server on the backend.

Just curious, as a wow player myself, what kind of add on your working on?

Happy Hunting!

Terry

On Mon, 15 May 2006 15:13:38 +0200, Matias Guijarro wrote:

>> What about using simple XOR encryption ?
>>
>> You can learn more here :
>> http://celtickane.com/programming/crypt/xor.php
>>
>> Cheers,
>> MG.

RE: Simple Encryption method

Dominic Wong
You could just put a checksum on the end which would have the benefit of
leaving it readable so you can debug your messages.